News & Discussion: Architecture, Planning & Urban Design

All other development discussion.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Architecture in Australia: Food for Thought

#31 Post by jk1237 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 pm

'Adelaide is dozing' seems to be a quote that the whole of Australia thinks of us, but really, our city has architectural gems and construction to rival other Aus cities at the moment. If only we can change the image of our city to eastern staters, then we will really prosper. The image of Adelaide is whats letting us down. I realise most of the easterners have prob not been to Adelaide in the last 10 years, so the image problem continues, so something (what I dont know) needs to be done about it. An interesting archictectural project such as a Vic Sq tower, will maybe beam an image that Adelaide is back (although we know it is already), which then brings millions of dollars of further investment when these eastern states' money people think, 'oooh Adelaide seems to be booming, lets see if we can make some money there', and entice people to move here for work.
Traditionally we have a state govt thats so ultra conservative and may see 'image projects' as a bit of a wank, but all other cities have spent hundreds of millions on urban design projects so to make an image of 'this place is happening', the number 1 contender being Melbourne, with major art structures on their inner city freeways, development of Southbank area, docklands, Federation Sq, new museum. It also installs some pride in the community. The architecture of the streetscape is just as important as the architecture in the buildings that surround it, and the only great example in Adelaide is North Terrace (around the museum). We need more of this and we cant rely on a city council with a pop of under 20,000 to do it all. State govt needs to chip in more

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Shuz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I appreciate the positive and constructive feedback received. It had to be put out there - its just tragic that Adelaide's cultural appeal is comparable to a senile, sterile, stubborn old man. It may have its charm, but it is not positively enforced the way it should be.

The terminology 'Adelaide is dozing' is a highly appropriate context to use. We need to shift into becoming the sleeping giant (if we are not there already) and just wait for our time to come to awake.

roger explosion
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#33 Post by roger explosion » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:51 pm

He argues there is a more edgy scene in Melbourne than the other capitals: the city “feeds on itself and keeps challenging the rest of Australia”. Sydney seems still in the thrall of the fast-built buck and, like Brisbane, is hamstrung by conflict between city and state. Adelaide is dozing.
I love this. So, so true.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

The Adelaide Review - SA Architecture

#34 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm

If anyone has July's edition of The Adelaide Review they had a bit of a write up about SA architecture.

Just letting you know :)

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

Re: The Adelaide Review - SA Architecture

#35 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm

is there a website link, or could you download images onto this forum?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:05 pm

I'll try and scan it in tonight or something, it's over a few pages.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:39 pm

Here you go guys...apologies for some of the dodgy scan jobs, The Adelaide Review isn't the most user friendly paper!

:D

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

thanks for that guys!

:)

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

Building Design

#40 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am

Building design
I thought it might be good to start a general thread just dedicated to building design, to thrash out what we think are good and poor aspects of buildings. If we want a better Adelaide we probably need to look at what makes a good building.
Some of my hobby horses are:
• To have setbacks, making sure buildings have views and don’t block others.
• Set some towers at angles to the city grid to give variety, views and interest to our skyline.
• No blank concrete walls above the first 5 levels, we could assume that buildings up to five levels will probably touch an adjoining property, but above that level let the light in. (The former Australian Taxation Office at KWS) is an example in point. We are stuck with the ugliest block wall in the city for ever as no one will ever build above the heritage Edmond Right House next door.
• Ban pebble-create and surfaces that just go black and dirty over time.
• Try to maintain a varied streescape.

So there are a few to kick off.
Cheers

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Building Design

#41 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 pm

I'd say this belongs in Visions & Suggestions.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Building Design

#42 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 pm

SRW wrote:I'd say this belongs in Visions & Suggestions.
I don't really care where we stick this thread but I think it is important to have some general space to identify the good and bad features of building design. It's all very well to get excited about new development I know I do but we could do it better.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#Article: Adelaide architects failing in top-end design

#43 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

http://www.architectureanddesign.com.au ... 31386.aspx
Adelaide architects failing in top-end design
Kate Gibbs

ADELAIDE-BASED architects are facing a severe shortage of top-end design commissions, a leading South Australian architect has claimed.

He joins a small group of architects in blaming both government and business for short-changing the city when it comes to leading architecture.

“We’re not getting capacity that the other states are offering to do high-end design … The opportunities that are afforded the local design community aren’t being headed towards top design,” Professor Ian McDougal, from the University of Adelaide’s School of Architecture, told Architecture & Design.

His comments come after a disappointing result for the state in the Australian Institute of Architects’ National Architecture Awards, at which only one South Australian building scooped an award, out of 31 winners. Adding insult to injury for the state’s architects, that building was designed by a Melbourne-based architect.

At a forum following the awards, McDougal and architect peers Nick Tridenti, Geoffrey London, Malcolm Snow, the Lord Mayor of Adelaide Michael Harbison, and local property developers raised the question: “how do you make a city hungry for design?”. “There is evidence that somehow we’re not getting recognition for what we do, or alternatively we’re not getting capacity that other states are offering,” McDougal said. “I think [responsibility] should fall on the clients.”

The group highlighted the need to make a newly commissioned hospital in Adelaide a top-end design. Since 2000, only five national architecture awards out of 154 have been presented to South Australian buildings. Three of those were led by eastern state architects and designers. “While there is not a dearth of work in Adelaide, for some reason there is no recognition of the quality of the work,” McDougal said. When pressed as to whether Adelaide-based architects were too innovative to be appreciated, he said “possibly”. But more than that, “development companies and the government need to take on fresh ideas and give young designers a bit of a go”.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: #Article: Adelaide architects failing in top-end design

#44 Post by Shuz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:09 pm

VS1 anyone? That's a stunning design.

If I hope to live up to my career ambitions as an architect, I'll make sure I set the standard for achieving top design results in my works.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Article: Adelaide architects failing in top-end design

#45 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Shuz wrote:VS1 anyone? That's a stunning design.

If I hope to live up to my career ambitions as an architect, I'll make sure I set the standard for achieving top design results in my works.
oh, did not realise you were training as an architect! i can envisage an architecturally superb 50storey building in Adelaide with a massive neon "SHUZ ENTERPRISES" sign across the top :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.