Victor Harbor | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#31 Post by stumpjumper » Mon May 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Well that was a conversation stopper.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by rhino » Tue May 29, 2007 11:10 am

Get a grip Will. Everything Stumpjumper says in his April 02 post is pretty well right on the money. Imagine if it really was your house, how impressed would you be. Would you just go and move somewhere else? Too bad you wouldn't be able to afford anywhere decent because you just lost $100,000 value on your once-was-a-good-investment home.

Development at any cost is not good procedure.
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Will » Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm

rhino wrote:Get a grip Will. Everything Stumpjumper says in his April 02 post is pretty well right on the money. Imagine if it really was your house, how impressed would you be. Would you just go and move somewhere else? Too bad you wouldn't be able to afford anywhere decent because you just lost $100,000 value on your once-was-a-good-investment home.

Development at any cost is not good procedure.
My problem with Stumpjumper's philosophy is that because we are all unique, there will be people in the community who will find fault with a development. If you look hard enough at every development there will be something that you may not like. However, my questions is, should the objections of one person force a development to be cancelled or sent back to the drawing board?

If you impose so many restrictions on development, plus granting citizens a greater say in the development process, I fear that many investors will decide that to invest in SA is too hard or too expensive. I am in favour of jobs anbd investment. If we turn our back on opportunity, other states will easily take them.

rhino

#34 Post by rhino » Tue May 29, 2007 2:09 pm

I am in favour of jobs and investment too, but at what cost? I don't know how much consultation went into the decision to grant Theo Makris this opportunity, the first I heard of it was on this board, but I'd be interested to find out. Did the people affected get a say in it at all, or did they find out when I did?
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by crawf » Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 pm

When a large development like this could likely kill of the town centre, then I'm againist it.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 4:23 pm

rhino wrote:I am in favour of jobs and investment too, but at what cost? I don't know how much consultation went into the decision to grant Theo Makris this opportunity, the first I heard of it was on this board, but I'd be interested to find out. Did the people affected get a say in it at all, or did they find out when I did?
lol, Theo Makris.... looks like you combined two prominant greek developers theo maras and con makris to form a super developer

rhino

#37 Post by rhino » Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 pm

:lol: Sorry about that :oops:
cheers,
Rhino

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 4:36 pm

haha no worries, i think the advertiser has done it before

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Victor Harbor Redevelopment

#39 Post by Paulns » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 am

Agree larger development down at Victor would be great but I also agree with the comment before that a duel lane freeway and possibly an extension of the train line down there is more important.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

rhino

#40 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Paulns wrote:Agree larger development down at Victor would be great but I also agree with the comment before that a duel lane freeway and possibly an extension of the train line down there is more important.
I heard the mayor of Victor Harbor talking about the problems that putting a dual-lane highway to Victor Harbor would cause. The town infrastructure cannot cope with the influx of tourists a dual-lane highway would bring, because once they reached Victor Harbor, there would be gridlock. The town can cope with the ammount of tourists it currently gets, and is growing infrastructure at a rate that can cope with increased numbers, but cannot yet cope with the increased numbers a dual-lane highway will bring.

As for rail, an extension of which rail line? Take a look at a topographic map and try to plan a route. It would have to go so far out of it's way to avoid the huge tunnels otherwise necessary (and cost prohibitive) that the old route via Mount Barker becomes a viable option, only the trip takes so long compared to the road that patronage would not be high enough to warrant the service.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#41 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:34 am

Would a half decent airport be a good idea for the Victor Harbor-Goolwa region? When should it be considered?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:51 am

Being about only an hour away from Adelaide it seems a bit stupid. But then, the Gold Coast is only about the same time from Brisbane and has its own airport. Although the Gold Coast is a large city in its own right and attracts an enormous amount of tourists.

rhino

#43 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:46 am

The Gold Coast has its own airport, but do people fly between Brisbane and the Gold Coast? Because basically, that's what we're talking about here - flights from Adelaide. I can't see an interstate airport going in on the South Coast, so that Melbournians and Sydneysiders can holiday at Victor Harbor, for a few generations yet. And flying from Adelaide - waiting time at both ends would almost equal the driving time between the two locations.
cheers,
Rhino

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by talrok » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:01 am

I would definitely support a dual-lane highway .. how silly is it for the mayor to say "No we don't want this as too many tourists may come to our city" .. I'm sure thats exactly what they teach you at Business School 101 .. So if someone was to start their own business and wanted to make it grow, the golden rule would be to 'not allow new customers to come into your shop?'

Half the reason why some of these places in SA don't grow and become profitable is because its too damn risky to get there .. our roads are poor and all you hear each week is about another death on the Adl to Victa Road.

AND, if you don't want to make it grow so it can retain its 'country feel' then shut up about a $50 million face lift and instead spend the money on hospitals and nursing homes and schools for the local population.

As for 'Gold Coast' comparison .. seriously. People crap on about the next Gold Coast being Glenelg, then Port Adelaide, or Port Wakefield, or Pt Hughes, or Victor .. now which one of these would the government be more likely to spend cash on to turn into a GC .... it would definitely not be Victa .. NONE I'd say. So Victa's got bugger all to worry about. Adelaide population can't even grow so why the hell would victa!!!

but there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to the town, like the others I've mentioned above .. but they won't go there if its at a snail pace in the car or on single laned, pot holed, windy roads.

Why even bother making statements like "$XX million redevelopment/facelift" ..

urban
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by urban » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:06 pm

talrok wrote:"No we don't want this as too many tourists may come to our city" .. I'm sure thats exactly what they teach you at Business School 101 .. So if someone was to start their own business and wanted to make it grow, the golden rule would be to 'not allow new customers to come into your shop?'
Many businesses get into trouble by trying to service too many clients without adequate staffing and infrastructure, the same can happen with a town. Doubling the size of VH would require double the infrastructure. Built infrastructure takes considerable time to build up. Olympic Dam is the perfect example they expect to spend 3 or 4 years to build their infrastructure.

The VH council are very well placed to understand how much growth they can accommodate. They have been one of the most rapidly growing council's in the state for many years and are struggling to keep up with the current growth rates. Steady sustainable growth is preferable to boom & bust development cycles. If the govt does want to build an expressway to VH they must provide the council with the financial and technical support required to dramatically improve the infrastructure FIRST.