#Official Mining Thread

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Official Mining Thread

#541 Post by bm7500 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:24 am

$7bn BHP Billiton mine giant to go ahead: Mike Rann

MIKE Rann has moved to end uncertainty over development of the nation's biggest mine, revealing advice from BHP Billiton that the Olympic Dam project would proceed as an open-cut operation.

The South Australian Premier's declaration, in an interview with The Australian, will shore up confidence in the $7billion expansion of the copper, gold and uranium mine when falling commodity prices and the slowing world economy had raised concerns that BHP would back away from converting the existing underground operations.

The company is in the final stages of framing an environmental impact statement, and analysts are crunching the numbers on a range of development options that will be presented to the BHP board late next year.

The company has already moved away from the South Australian Government's preferred option to smelt on site the dramatically increased volume of ore it is set to produce.

As copper prices fall and demand for Australian mineral exports shows signs of tanking, especially in the crucial China market, there has been speculation that BHP could scale back the mine expansion. Under this scenario, Olympic Dam's underground workings would be enlarged, with construction of the open-cut deferred.

But Mr Rann insisted this was not BHP's position. Asked if the open-cut plan would proceed, he said: "Yes, absolutely."

The Premier said the mine was valued as a trillion-dollar resource. "They did not purchase the orebody to leave it as a carpark," he said.

"And the price of uranium and copper in four years' time, when they reach the orebody, will be worth a bloody sight more than it was worth last week."

The Olympic Dam redevelopment is a hot political issue in South Australia. Mr Rann has elevated the mine to the status of "mother ship" for his ambitious minerals strategy.

The mine, 560km north of Adelaide, is Australia's largest underground operation, and contains the world's fourth-biggest copper deposit and the largest known reserve of uranium ore.

BHP has long-term contracts for the sale of uranium oxide concentrates to Britain, France, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, South Korea, Canada and the US.

Another Australian uranium producer, ERA, which operates the Ranger Mine in the Northern Territory, began shipping nuclear fuel to China this year.

Mr Rann said a visit to China in October had buoyed his confidence in its potential as a uranium export market. "Every single meeting I went to was about uranium," he said. "At every single meeting they said, 'We know we have got to do something about greenhouse gas emissions ... and develop a prototype nuclear power station, and this is mass-produced'. So with the world turning to uranium to deal with ... the threat of climate change, we have got 50 per cent of the world's uranium in South Australia. We are in pole position.

"So am I confident about BHP Billiton going ahead with the Olympic Dam mine? You bet I am." Mr Rann, who is ALP national president, pushed hard for Labor to scrap its no-new-mines policy on uranium last year.

But he rejected calls by former NSW premier Bob Carr and Australian Workers Union leader Paul Howes for a wider rethink on developing a domestic nuclear power industry.

Mr Rann cited practical problems, not ideological concerns, saying the cost of nuclear power would double electricity prices.

Asked if he would be prepared to consider a proposal for a nuclear plant, Mr Rann said it would be a waste of his time and the proponent's to "chase a rainbow that doesn't exist".

Jamie Walker http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#542 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Further to my recent post on aboriginal heritage...

The Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara communities 'own' a huge area of land in NW South Australia, and are keen to better understand the social benefits of opening up this land for mining purposes...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 87,00.html
ONE of the nation's most troubled Aboriginal homelands is set to open up to oil exploration and mining in a bid to break the cycle of poverty and welfare dependence.

Central to the plan for South Australia's remote Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara communities is construction of aroad linking the east to the west, creating a pathway to development.

The lands -- spanning 103,000sqkm of desert in the far north of the state, bordering the Northern Territory and Western Australia -- are believed to contain rich reserves of petroleum and nickel.

Although mining companies have been keen to explore the APY area, access problems and local opposition to development have defeated most efforts to evaluate its potential mineral wealth.

That may be about to change. The APY governing board has commissioned consultants to weigh the costs and benefits of pursuing full-scale mining and oil drilling on the lands.

As part of the investigation, the route of a development road has been mapped out.

A copy, obtained by The Australian, shows the road linking up with the railway to Alice Springs on the eastern side of the lands, with spurs to towns such as Indulkana, Umuwa, Amata and Pipalyatjara near the West Australian border.

The lands contain numerous mineral tenements, but so far their development has been limited. As is the case with most remote indigenous communities, unemployment is rife.

Earlier this year, former Supreme Court judge Ted Mullighan, reporting on a three-year inquiry into child abuse on the lands, found that one in seven children had been sexually abused. This was a national disgrace, he said.

The study being carried out for the APY board by consultants Coffey International will assess the impact of three scenarios:
  • * Large-scale development of petroleum resources in the APY lands, similar to that in the Moomba field spanning the SA-Queensland border.
    * Development limited to about half the size of Moomba.
    * No development.
South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy chief executive Jason Kuchel said a new road through the APY lands would provide economic benefits for miners and social benefits for the communities in the area.

"We see it as a win-win for everybody," Mr Kuchel said. "I think this is the sort of infrastructure South Australia needs to invest in to encourage more investment in exploration."

Much will depend on whether newly re-elected APY lands chairman Bernard Singer, who has an assault charge pending, can overcome local suspicion about development and persuade the state and federal governments to come on board with funding.

Mr Kuchel said that, although he did not think mining companies would consider contributing to the cost of building the road, they were likely to pay to help maintain it.

Alice Springs-based nickel explorer Mithril's managing director, Graham Ascough, welcomed the idea of a new road through the lands, saying it would cut costs and reduce the size that any minerals find would need to be to make a mine economical.

Mr Ascough said existing roads into the lands were rough and unsealed, making the trucking of equipment to exploration sites a slow, expensive process.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#543 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:11 pm

Approved in quick time!

This JV worked its way through the approval process in only a few weeks - amazingly quick decision making process for a state govt! Certainly gives SA more street-cred from the perspective of being pro-mining with minimal red-tape...

http://www.independentweekly.com.au/new ... 96383.aspx
Regulators approve Mitsui buying into Uranium One's SA assets

Japan's second largest trading company Mitsui & Co has acquired a 49 per cent stake in the Australian assets of Canadian uranium miner Uranium One after regulators approved the joint venture deal.

The assets include Uranium One's Honeymoon project in South Australia, where trial mining was undertaken between 1998 and 2000, and its nearby Goulds Dam and Billero exploration projects.

Uranium One said Mitsui's total minimum cash commitment for its share of these projects will be about $104 million, with most of these funds to be used to develop Honeymoon as a commercial mine.

Uranium One executive vice president Australia and Asia Greg Cochran said site development work was slated for early in the new year.

Mr Cochran said the project had an expected mine life of six years, with production scheduled to commence in 2010.

SA Premier Mike Rann said the multi-million dollar investment highlighted the confidence resource companies have in South Australia amid the current global economic uncertainty.

"The jobs and investment flowing from this joint venture agreement will support the long term economic development of this state and provide important export earnings for Australia," Mr Rann said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#544 Post by skyliner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:33 pm

bm7500 wrote:
$7bn BHP Billiton mine giant to go ahead: Mike Rann

MIKE Rann has moved to end uncertainty over development of the nation's biggest mine, revealing advice from BHP Billiton that the Olympic Dam project would proceed as an open-cut operation.

The South Australian Premier's declaration, in an interview with The Australian, will shore up confidence in the $7billion expansion of the copper, gold and uranium mine when falling commodity prices and the slowing world economy had raised concerns that BHP would back away from converting the existing underground operations.

The company is in the final stages of framing an environmental impact statement, and analysts are crunching the numbers on a range of development options that will be presented to the BHP board late next year.

The company has already moved away from the South Australian Government's preferred option to smelt on site the dramatically increased volume of ore it is set to produce.

As copper prices fall and demand for Australian mineral exports shows signs of tanking, especially in the crucial China market, there has been speculation that BHP could scale back the mine expansion. Under this scenario, Olympic Dam's underground workings would be enlarged, with construction of the open-cut deferred.

But Mr Rann insisted this was not BHP's position. Asked if the open-cut plan would proceed, he said: "Yes, absolutely."

The Premier said the mine was valued as a trillion-dollar resource. "They did not purchase the orebody to leave it as a carpark," he said.

"And the price of uranium and copper in four years' time, when they reach the orebody, will be worth a bloody sight more than it was worth last week."

The Olympic Dam redevelopment is a hot political issue in South Australia. Mr Rann has elevated the mine to the status of "mother ship" for his ambitious minerals strategy.

The mine, 560km north of Adelaide, is Australia's largest underground operation, and contains the world's fourth-biggest copper deposit and the largest known reserve of uranium ore.

BHP has long-term contracts for the sale of uranium oxide concentrates to Britain, France, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, South Korea, Canada and the US.

Another Australian uranium producer, ERA, which operates the Ranger Mine in the Northern Territory, began shipping nuclear fuel to China this year.

Mr Rann said a visit to China in October had buoyed his confidence in its potential as a uranium export market. "Every single meeting I went to was about uranium," he said. "At every single meeting they said, 'We know we have got to do something about greenhouse gas emissions ... and develop a prototype nuclear power station, and this is mass-produced'. So with the world turning to uranium to deal with ... the threat of climate change, we have got 50 per cent of the world's uranium in South Australia. We are in pole position.

"So am I confident about BHP Billiton going ahead with the Olympic Dam mine? You bet I am." Mr Rann, who is ALP national president, pushed hard for Labor to scrap its no-new-mines policy on uranium last year.

But he rejected calls by former NSW premier Bob Carr and Australian Workers Union leader Paul Howes for a wider rethink on developing a domestic nuclear power industry.

Mr Rann cited practical problems, not ideological concerns, saying the cost of nuclear power would double electricity prices.

Asked if he would be prepared to consider a proposal for a nuclear plant, Mr Rann said it would be a waste of his time and the proponent's to "chase a rainbow that doesn't exist".

Jamie Walker http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au
Bm7500, You beat me to it. After all the problems with resources/mining and the China market I became concerned about ODX.

I have been combing the AFR and the only reference to this was in an article about the mining sector being in trouble but ODX plans are still going ahead. (3 line refernce in half a page article. So yes, I confirm your findings but have no specifics to post.

Exciting times ahead - the wheels have not fallen off. By contrast, here in QLD coal mines are laying off large numbers of employees - a double whammy from Chinese drop in demand and the climate policy of the Rudd gov't.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#545 Post by Wayno » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 pm

skyliner wrote: Bm7500, You beat me to it. After all the problems with resources/mining and the China market I became concerned about ODX.

I have been combing the AFR and the only reference to this was in an article about the mining sector being in trouble but ODX plans are still going ahead. (3 line refernce in half a page article. So yes, I confirm your findings but have no specifics to post.

Exciting times ahead - the wheels have not fallen off. By contrast, here in QLD coal mines are laying off large numbers of employees - a double whammy from Chinese drop in demand and the climate policy of the Rudd gov't.
The market is expecting BHP to purchase several mines from 'cash-flow hindered' companies in the vicinty of ODX (this includes Prominent Hill). It's my understanding that BHP desperately wants to lock-out all competition within a couple of hundred km radius of ODX because they believe the reserves to be much more (and i mean MUCH MORE) extensive than currently published...

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#546 Post by skyliner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Wayno, this also has been my considered understanding on studying the map you posted. A WISE move. I thought then that BHP needed to do something due to the reason given in your last post about possible expanse of uranium.Sounds like BHP wants 50% of all the world's uranium resources. SA seems extremely well positioned in it's situation at present - huge royalties. However, I believe the mine will be developed later than we all thought originally.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#547 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:42 am

There's a very good possibility (as the industry rumours go) that BHP will have a substantial office presence in the Adelaide CBD for the Olympic Dam project. In fact, ODX is so large & complex that BHP might even spin off a separate subsidiary company here in SA to independently manage the operations!

Unfortunately, we should not expect this rumour to turn into published fact anytime soon, maybe not until late-2009 or early-2010.

Yes i know, i'm a tease...

loud
High Rise Poster!

#548 Post by loud » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am

Wayno wrote:There's a very good possibility (as the industry rumours go) that BHP will have a substantial office presence in the Adelaide CBD for the Olympic Dam project. In fact, ODX is so large & complex that BHP might even spin off a separate subsidiary company here in SA to independently manage the operations!

Unfortunately, we should not expect this rumour to turn into published fact anytime soon, maybe not until late-2009 or early-2010.

I'm in the industry and I usually hear things very quickly when companies put their feelers out for office space. I haven't heard rumours of any substance yet... there is a lot of presumption that they will need space, but that is all really...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#549 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 am

Wayno wrote:There's a very good possibility (as the industry rumours go) that BHP will have a substantial office presence in the Adelaide CBD for the Olympic Dam project. In fact, ODX is so large & complex that BHP might even spin off a separate subsidiary company here in SA to independently manage the operations!

Hopefully you mean substantial enough to secure a tenant to take up all 44,000sqm of 20-22 Currie Street?

loud
High Rise Poster!

#550 Post by loud » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:36 am

Shuz wrote:

Hopefully you mean substantial enough to secure a tenant to take up all 44,000sqm of 20-22 Currie Street?
I think there are many other buildings that will be developed before this one. Even if the developer (who has questionable capacity to actually build this thing anyway) miraculously convinces someone to finance this thing, I would be very surprised if there were many organisations prepared to pay the rental that would be required to make the development viable in the first place.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#551 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Shuz wrote:

way too early for that to be decided...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#552 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:21 pm

I know its too early to be speculating specifics, but if there's talking about creating a new subsidary specifically for ODX - how much space would BHP need? 20,000? 40,000? 60,000? Surely theres a guesstimate on that?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#553 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Shuz wrote:I know its too early to be speculating specifics, but if there's talking about creating a new subsidary specifically for ODX - how much space would BHP need? 20,000? 40,000? 60,000? Surely theres a guesstimate on that?
sorry mate, i've no idea at present...

loud
High Rise Poster!

#554 Post by loud » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Shuz wrote:I know its too early to be speculating specifics, but if there's talking about creating a new subsidary specifically for ODX - how much space would BHP need? 20,000? 40,000? 60,000? Surely theres a guesstimate on that?
Speculating specifics? thats a bit of a contradiction in terms isn't it?

The calculation involved in determining their space requirement is not going to be a "back of the envelope" exercise...
Staff numbers and tenure (full time/part time) will need to be determined (this number also needs to factor in anticipated increases and decreases of staff numbers over the duration of their lease
Desired office environment: open plan/offices/hotdesks/combination, number and sizes of meeting/training/boardrooms/utility/quiet rooms, health amenities, staff breakout areas, kitchen facilities, carparking, the list goes on...

Also, with reference to a new subsiduary specifically for ODX:

1) It is pure supposition that this is even going to happen
2) If it is created, they might go in to space already tenanted by BHP
3) If it created, they might not go in to a new development, they might go in to existing vacant office stock
4) If it is created, it might not even be based in Adelaide

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#555 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 pm

One of my favourite SA country towns is Burra - such a beautiful town. Lots of cafe's, antique shops, beautiful old stone houses in every suburban street, 4 pubs, 'old copper mine' tours, and inexpensive accommodation in the quaint miners cottages - all only 20mins from the Clare Valley and other townships - a relaxing weekend away in all respects!

So it's good that Burra may be about to experience a mining-driven resurgence...

http://www.proactiveinvestors.com.au/co ... -0638.html
Phoenix Copper buys tenement near Burra Monster Mine

Phoenix Copper (ASX:PNX) will expand its tenement holdings in the Burra region in northern South Australia when it completes the purchase of a significant tenement directly adjacent to its Burra Project. The Company has agreed, subject to necessary ministerial approval, to purchase tenement EL 3549 from Copper Range Limited (ASX:CRJ).

When completed this acquisition will give the Company exclusive exploration access to 1,183 km2 in the Burra region.

The 314km2 tenement sits immediately south of and adjacent to the Company’s highly prospective Central Burra tenement, within the boundaries of which the famous Burra Monster Mine – once the world’s second largest copper mine.

The purchase price for EL 3549 is $50,000 cash, the issue to Copper Range Limited of 500,000 of the Company’s fully paid ordinary shares and a 1.5% net smelter return royalty.

Phoenix Copper Managing Director Paul Dowd said the purchase of EL 3549, which contains the historic Princess Royal mine will, once completion has occurred following ministerial approval, provide the Company with an expanded opportunity to continue its regional approach to exploration in this highly significant yet largely ignored mineral province.

“During our exploration to the south of Burra it was clear that two anomalous copper trends within our tenement’s extended beyond the southern boundary and into the tenement owned by Copper Range,” Mr Dowd said.

Given that we believe the extent and size of the mineralisation in the Burra region is only now emerging, we saw this purchase as an important step in being able to create a ‘big picture’ of exploration opportunities across the whole region.”