Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Kangaroo Island Development

#31 Post by Wayno » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:30 pm

I just heard just the SA Govt is seeking private investment partners to develop 3 hectares of waterfront land at Kingscote KI. It's this plot adjacent to the jetty. Focus is tourism/accommodation/wharf related uses.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Kangaroo Island Development

#32 Post by Waewick » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 pm

just got back from KI

fantastic place, stay at Penneshaw (sorry about the spelling) had a great time apart from the apparent lack of interest of some of the business in my vacation money.

I gather they chose Kingscote because it is the biggest town?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Wayno » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

Yay! increased competition for transport to KI. Will hopefully lead to lower ferry fees - such a rip off at present.
A MAJOR upgrade of Kingscote Airport to handle bigger jets will be proposed today.

This proposal is part of a plan to double visitors to Kangaroo Island and make it the jewel in the state's tourism crown.

A report from the Economic Development Board is also likely to recommend upgrading the island's road network, providing better power sources for the island and new education opportunities.

Part of the education plan is understood to involve a new College of Excellence, which would attract interstate and overseas students, as well as local students.

The college is expected to concentrate on hospitality, tourism and environmental management.

Premier Mike Rann and Tourism Minister John Rau believe the island has been limited by its isolation and lack of infrastructure. Both say the EDB report will provide a blueprint for the sustainable development of the island.

Mr Rann said a community Cabinet meeting would be held on the island in July, at which the proposed development plan would be discussed with residents.

The Southern Ocean Lodge is regarded as a key tourist development and the type of accommodation that will attract more visitors to the island. However, air-traveller numbers are limited by airport capacity.

The Kingscote runway is too short and too soft to take aircraft with more than a 34-seat capacity, while small private and corporate jets (mostly headed for the Southern Ocean Lodge) have hard, narrow tyres that damage the runway surface.

Mr Rann said it was still relatively difficult and expensive to get into and out of Kangaroo Island. "Lance Armstrong could not holiday there because the airport was not big enough for his personal jet," he said.

The EDB is expected to recommend the airport - now owned and operated by the Kangaroo Island Council - be leased to a private operator so the runway can be lengthened and strengthened, and the terminal refurbished.

The report is also likely to recommend reviewing the prices charged for the SeaLink ferry service and the construction of a new ferry terminal at Penneshaw.

"We think there is the potential to double the number of tourists each year (from 185,000)," Mr Rann said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#34 Post by HeapsGood » Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 pm

whats the numbers on tourism right now? Is it up/down?
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by stumpjumper » Tue May 24, 2011 10:28 pm

The available figures are fairly steady, all things considered, at least up to Sept 2010:

http://www.kangarooisland.sa.gov.au/web ... _Final.pdf

Major factors holding numbers back are lack of tourist and other infrastructure (eg good roads) and difficulty/expense of access.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Wayno » Sun May 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Only 5 days ago i was saying the KI Ferry is a rip-off, well as of last friday Nick Xenophon started an investigation into its operations. He's criticising both Sealink and the ICAC, and asking for a fresh look into whether Sealink is misusing it's marketing muscle.

The concern is that if you own a rental property on KI then you need to use Sealink as your agent, otherwise you're disadvantaged as they offer 'ferry & accommodation packages' that skew the marketplace.

From last friday's 7:30 SA news program here (5 min duration)

Onya Mr X! Will sure be interesting to hear the outcome...

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by Paulns » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/a-ferryta ... 6100434184

This is good news for the Island!!! A brand new $3.8 Million passenger ferry terminal at Penneshaw and $6 Million towards an interstate tourism campaign! :D

Certainly better than what's there now!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by iTouch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:29 am

until I see another ferry company muscling its way in, (even if it's government owned) will I be happy with KI.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:25 pm

This is a development, of sorts:
The proponents of a Swim with the Tuna proposal for Kangaroo Island have countered claims the venture will not suit the island's tourism profile.

Conservationists say plans to boost tourism numbers could endanger the island's natural image and the caged tuna proposal is an example of inappropriate development.

But Emma Forster from Swim with the Tuna says the attraction already operates off Port Lincoln and is environmentally friendly.

"The Parndana wildlife park, their animals are in cages, the raptor, birds of prey they're in cages and all - don't get me wrong, very great tourism attractions. Tuna are something that the everyday person doesn't get to see - these fish are happy, they're fed, there's been no proven environmental impact from our operation," she said.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Paulns » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:33 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:until I see another ferry company muscling its way in, (even if it's government owned) will I be happy with KI.
Well there used to be, it was called the MV Island Seaway. It ran as a freight boat from Port Adelaide to Kingscote. It was sold off by the government in the late 80's, giving Sealink the Monopoly it has today.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by iTouch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm

I've been asked to volunteer at the Kangaroo Island Pro-Surfing tour. For those who don't know what this is, check out http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6061876166

It's basically one of the kick-start attempts to bring surf tourism to kangaroo island and better yet it includes free accomodation, free ferry fare, bus trip, food expenses and much more for me!! :)
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

duke
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by duke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 am

Ops..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-15/f ... ay/2839686
Several hundred people will be affected by a mechanical fault on the Kangaroo Island ferry, with crossings from the mainland to the island cancelled until at least Thursday.
There is no point having a new terminal and new places for tourists to stay if the ferry operator works like this.
They have one ferry under maintenance. The other ferry one engine died on Thursday. They ran it on one engine between Friday and Sunday before that one died stranding passengers from Monday to Thursday.

My parents went there on Friday. They got there late due to the ferry running on one engine. They were supposed to leave on Monday but now they can't get back until Thurs.
Sealink will not pay for my parents extra accommodation. This is a cost they have to wear themselves apparently.

I had to email a chemist my dads prescription for medication. He took 2 days worth of extra meds, not 3.
The island had a run on food, no more milk, bread or meat. There was also a run on petrol. One guy told my parents that a place was selling fuel for $2.20.

Its one thing being stuck, but its another that the island only has about 5 days of supplies.

I definitely won't be going to KI until they fix their transport and supply problems.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by RayRichards » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Unless you build an expressway from Noarlunga to Cape Jervis, :roll: I very much doubt KI will get the tourists they desire and to have more than a few days worth of supplies. It's just too much effort for little gain from a logistical point of view. There are only about 4500 residents there.

The only way is either move the mainland dock to the Port for vehicles and freight and have an auxillary one for pax at the Bay.

There are more important issues facing regional South Australia. :cheers:

Cheers.

Ray.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

#44 Post by Paulns » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Work's about to start on the new Sealink Ferry Terminal at Penneshaw! This project is long over due for Kangaroo Island. This story taken from ABC news.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-14/k ... section=sa
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241898.420510.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241898.420510.jpg (181.29 KiB) Viewed 10989 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241927.369409.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241927.369409.jpg (123.41 KiB) Viewed 10989 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241944.562716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363241944.562716.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 10989 times
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

#45 Post by neoballmon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 pm

I'll agree it's long overdue. I went over there last year and after being at the nice Cape Jervois terminal, then went across to the island, it looked like no one has touched it since the 80s at least!
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!