Murray Bridge | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#16 Post by crawf » Sat May 05, 2007 9:44 pm

Neither did I until I heard it the other day on Nova.

Apparently its the new cool way of saying Murray Bridge lol.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Pistol » Sun May 06, 2007 6:28 am

crawf wrote:Neither did I until I heard it the other day on Nova.

Apparently its the new cool way of saying Murray Bridge lol.
Is there a cool way of saying Murray Bridge??????

You shouldn't let Nova brainwash you Crawf.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by shuza » Sun May 06, 2007 11:22 am

Muzza Bizza sounds like one of those words those derelict kids say to try and 'be cool' when roaming the streets at night. I don't understand how such stupidity exists in our society for words like that to be developed.

Murray Bridge's expectations for that population is a bit high. We are in the middle of a national water crisis - its location is in a drier area than adelaide, which makes it more suspectible to weather extremities than Adelaide. Mount Gambier has more potential and more realistic chances of achieving the 100,000 population mark, given its central locality between Adelaide and Melbourne and the 'city' of our SE. Mind you, it probably would have just as much trouble accomodating water supplies.

2c worth.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Mon May 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Pistol78 wrote:Is there a cool way of saying Murray Bridge??????

You shouldn't let Nova brainwash you Crawf.
Eh a local from the bridge, was on the radio saying something about it.
shuza wrote:Muzza Bizza sounds like one of those words those derelict kids say to try and 'be cool' when roaming the streets at night. I don't understand how such stupidity exists in our society for words like that to be developed.
Seriously its not a major issue, I think youse two need to chill out a bit more.... Theres a nickname for nearly every city/ town like Radelaide/A-town for Adelaide, Brisvegas for Brisbane, Goldie for Gold Coast, the rat for Ballarat, Barkertown for Mt Barker, Mildy for Mildura and so many more....
Mount Gambier has more potential and more realistic chances of achieving the 100,000 population mark, given its central locality between Adelaide and Melbourne and the 'city' of our SE. Mind you, it probably would have just as much trouble accomodating water supplies.
Nonsense being 450km from Adelaide and Melbourne does not help the city's population. If it did Mt Gambier wouldn't have a slow population growth rate and the city would be alot bigger than what it is today. The only reason Mt Gambier is the states current second biggest city is because of the downfall of Whyalla.

As for the water resources, well I think Mt Gambier is better off than most regional centres and Adelaide as the region get its water from the large Blue Lake.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by stelaras » Mon May 07, 2007 3:46 pm

100,000 huh...well one things for sure the gene pool will get a bit larger and therefore less inbreeding!

:lol:

but seriously, im all for it....its about time we put some effort into increasing the population of our regional centres.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Mon May 07, 2007 3:51 pm

stelaras wrote:100,000 huh...well one things for sure the gene pool will get a bit larger and therefore less inbreeding!

:lol:

but seriously, im all for it....its about time we put some effort into increasing the population of our regional centres.
Amen to that, SA seriously lags behind the other states for large regional centres.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Cruise » Mon May 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Personally, i would rather Adelaide not grow much past say 1.2 million and focus on trying to grow country centres, like Whyalla, Port Lincoln, Mt Gamiber, Pt Pirie, Pt Augusta and Murray Bridge. Wouldnt it be nice if all these grow past 50k?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#23 Post by rhino » Wed May 09, 2007 2:12 pm

[quote="shuza"]Muzza Bizza sounds like one of those words those derelict kids say to try and 'be cool' when roaming the streets at night. quote]

...hmmm....Muzza Bizza....Shuza......yeah, you could have something there..... :)
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#24 Post by rhino » Wed May 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Ho Really wrote:I can envisage a high-speed train between Murray Bridge, Mount Barker and Adelaide for all the commuters. :D
And what route would it take? Cos there's no way the current route could handle a high speed train, and no-one's going to spend the kind of money required for a high speed rail route through the hills (sad but true). Express bus service would be much quicker.

Then again, maybe jump on a jet at that new airport they're proposing at Monarto and get off in Adelaide.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#25 Post by rhino » Thu May 10, 2007 9:50 am

champsman wrote:A bit of beautification wouldn't go astray though. Edging roads with gutters, maybe filling some of the grand canyons that exist along the older roadways!
Yes, this is one of the great pitys about Murray Bridge. It's a place with so much potential, if it was a bit more attractive there would be so much more.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Thu May 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Some parts of Murray Bridge remind me of Broken Hill.

cyber_256
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by cyber_256 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:45 pm

It is true that alot of the areas in the bridge are quite untidy, but have you visited lately. The council has done alot of beatification along the main Adelaide road, also quite a few streets/roads are being resurfaced, curbing being put in. I admit though alot more needs to be done but there is only so much the council can do at once.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by shuza » Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Murray Bridge isn't designated to become anything bigger than it already is. Its services and size accomodate adequatly for the area surrounding it.
Focus on the growth of Mount Barker, Elizabeth, Noarlunga, Victor Harbor, Port Lincoln, Mount Gambier and Port Augusta/Roxby Downs. These are the regional cities that should capitalise on the prospects of enlarged population growth for South Australia and currently offer greater expectations in services to their localities.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Thu May 10, 2007 8:04 pm

cyber_256 wrote:It is true that alot of the areas in the bridge are quite untidy, but have you visited lately. The council has done alot of beatification along the main Adelaide road, also quite a few streets/roads are being resurfaced, curbing being put in. I admit though alot more needs to be done but there is only so much the council can do at once.
Yeah I must say the MB council is doing a pretty good job. Adelaide Road does look much better but It would great to see the road duplicated (though it would be a costly project and not really a council project).
shuza wrote:Murray Bridge isn't designated to become anything bigger than it already is. Its services and size accomodate adequatly for the area surrounding it.
Focus on the growth of Mount Barker, Elizabeth, Noarlunga, Victor Harbor, Port Lincoln, Mount Gambier and Port Augusta/Roxby Downs. These are the regional cities that should capitalise on the prospects of enlarged population growth for South Australia and currently offer greater expectations in services to their localities.
First of Elizabeth and Noarlunga have been suburbs of Adelaide for decades and you could really just say that Mt Barker is now a outer suburb. Focusing on growth on the Adelaide fringe is just plain dumb (Mt Barker, Elizabeth and Noarlunga) and will not help Adelaide at all in the long term. Agree on focusing on growth in regional areas, but not the outer suburbs.

Murray Bridge is much better planned and more flat than Mt Barker. Infrastructure and services in Mt Barker are already becoming a nightmare and with predictions the areas population is going to double in the next 15-20 years the problems are just going to get much worse...

The bridge probably wasn't planned to be a large regional centre either, but its alot better planned than Mt Barker let me tell you.

Ho Really

#30 Post by Ho Really » Thu May 10, 2007 9:38 pm

rhino wrote:And what route would it take? Cos there's no way the current route could handle a high speed train, and no-one's going to spend the kind of money required for a high speed rail route through the hills (sad but true).
Mine was a pie-in-the-sky idea. A very expensive idea. I guess it would have to follow the SE Freeway most of the way, with many tunnels and then back to the old line through Belair with maybe a few more tunnels to make it more direct. Any ideas?

Cheers