Mount Gambier | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Mount Gambier | Developments & News

#106 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 pm
It's amazing that the population difference between the two largest cities in South Australia is 1.3million people versus 25,000. Surely no other state or territory.has Such a discrepancy.
Definitely the worst by far. Whyalla, once peaked at 33,000 in the 70's and planning was aimed at a population of more than 100,000.

Geelong to Melbourne 5%
Bunbury to Perth 5.3%

Mt Gambier to Adelaide 2.0%

bits
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by bits » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 am

wilkiebarkid wrote: It would be safe to say that the Encounter Coast (Victor Harbor, Port Elliot, Middleton, Goolwa, Hindmarsh Island) will surpass Mount Gambier's mantle as SA's largest urban area outside Adelaide, within the next 5 years.
Hindmarsh Island to Victor Harbor is a huge area.
Does Mount Gambier region get to include Millicent, Port Macdonnell, Penola, Coonawara etc? Can it go as far as Naracoorte? Most of those are in your list of other major centers.

Mount Gambier should be SA's second major. It has natural beauty with volcanos and clear water ponds/lakes. It has an amazing produce industry. It has the forrestry industry. It has fisheries.
It is surrounded by other major towns.

Victor Harbor and its surrounds is a retirement village pretending to be a tourist destination. What has Victor Harbor got? The bluff? Granite Island? Wine which is mostly just McClaren Vale or Langhorne Creek wine trying to snag a few more sales?

Whyalla is mostly isolated with Port Augusta an hour away. Port Lincoln hours.
The area is naturally as ugly/boring as possible. It is surely obvious in hindsight why it has gone nowhere. Iron ore and steel works is a reason for it to exist, but to be widely popular is something else.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#108 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:37 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 am
wilkiebarkid wrote: It would be safe to say that the Encounter Coast (Victor Harbor, Port Elliot, Middleton, Goolwa, Hindmarsh Island) will surpass Mount Gambier's mantle as SA's largest urban area outside Adelaide, within the next 5 years.
Hindmarsh Island to Victor Harbor is a huge area.
Does Mount Gambier region get to include Millicent, Port Macdonnell, Penola, Coonawara etc? Can it go as far as Naracoorte? Most of those are in your list of other major centers.

Mount Gambier should be SA's second major. It has natural beauty with volcanos and clear water ponds/lakes. It has an amazing produce industry. It has the forrestry industry. It has fisheries.
It is surrounded by other major towns.

Victor Harbor and its surrounds is a retirement village pretending to be a tourist destination. What has Victor Harbor got? The bluff? Granite Island? Wine which is mostly just McClaren Vale or Langhorne Creek wine trying to snag a few more sales?

Whyalla is mostly isolated with Port Augusta an hour away. Port Lincoln hours.
The area is naturally as ugly/boring as possible. It is surely obvious in hindsight why it has gone nowhere. Iron ore and steel works is a reason for it to exist, but to be widely popular is something else.
Victor Harbor to Hindmarsh Island (Check it out on Google Earth) is considered a contiguous urban area because there is only small breaks between the locations. Millicent is 50kms from Mount Gambier and Naracoorte 100kms!!!!

bits
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by bits » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote: Millicent is 50kms from Mount Gambier and Naracoorte 100kms!!!!
~35mins by car for Millicent to Mount Gambier
~25mins by car Hindmarsh Island to Victor Harbor.
And you can surely fudge those numbers to both be roughly ~30mins!

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#110 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm
wilkiebarkid wrote: Millicent is 50kms from Mount Gambier and Naracoorte 100kms!!!!
Bits, its about the continual urban development of an area. If I rode a bicycle from Victor Harbor to Hindmarsh Island it might take 20 minutes, but if I rode a bike from Mount Gambier to Naracoorte (105km), I'd probably be dead!!.........and nothing in between in the way or urban development!!

bits
Legendary Member!

#111 Post by bits » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
bits wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm
Bits, its about the continual urban development of an area. If I rode a bicycle from Victor Harbor to Hindmarsh Island it might take 20 minutes, but if I rode a bike from Mount Gambier to Naracoorte (105km), I'd probably be dead!!.........and nothing in between in the way or urban development!!
Maybe Victor Harbor and Goolwa with the push bikable distances will become popular and rich. I would say the main catalyst for Victor Harbor growth is the drivable distances from Adelaide.
I doubt any of the ex-Adelaide retired citizens that make up the population for the region are push biking anywhere!
The family drive down every now and then on a weekend to see old folks.

I still think Mount Gambier has a hell of a lot more to offer in the way of employment and tourism.
It is currently the major town and it is surrounded by numerous of the other major towns.

Did the census data give demograogics of age and employment status for the regions?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#112 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Bits, the Census has very strict guidelines when it comes to what equates to an urban area. You cannot insist that your opinion, while valued, be taken into account when deciding where an urban boundary ends with regard to any particular place. And that's just the way it is. :)
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#113 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Urban populations should always be calculated if part of the contiguous development of an urban area, with some allowance (~1km) for green belt buffers. Anything otherwise is just folly.

I've always regarded the Encounter Coast as one area.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#114 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Same.

Btw I didn't realise Murray Bridge was that big now. Despite both being outer suburbs of Adelaide now, it would be interesting to see where Gawler and Mt Barker would fit in that list.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#115 Post by Goodsy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

Same.

Btw I didn't realise Murray Bridge was that big now. Despite both being outer suburbs of Adelaide now, it would be interesting to see where Gawler and Mt Barker would fit in that list.
Town of Gawler, which includes
Bibaringa (5118)
Evanston (5116)
Evanston Gardens (5116)
Evanston Park (5116)
Evanston South (5116)
Gawler (5118)
Gawler East (5118)
Gawler South (5118)
Gawler West (5118)
Hillier (5116)
Kudla (5115) and
Willaston (5118)

Is around 23,000

SBD

#116 Post by SBD » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 pm
crawf wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

Same.

Town of Gawler, which includes
Bibaringa (5118)
Evanston (5116)
Evanston Gardens (5116)
Evanston Park (5116)
Evanston South (5116)
Gawler (5118)
Gawler East (5118)
Gawler South (5118)
Gawler West (5118)
Hillier (5116)
Kudla (5115) and
Willaston (5118)

Is around 23,000
You might be able to argue that Gawler is realy just a suburb of Adelaide (especially if you were making that argument for Millicent or Penola as suburbs of Mt Gambier).

Alternatively there are a few more places that are part of urban Gawler but not the Town of Gawler. I'd say it should include include Reid, Buchfeld and Hillier on the west, Hewett and Gawler Belt to the north. Probably also Kalbeeba and Concordia on the east.

rhino

#117 Post by rhino » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 pm
I compiled this list from the recent census data (2016). It's for contiguous rural, urban area populations.

It would be safe to say that the Encounter Coast (Victor Harbor, Port Elliot, Middleton, Goolwa, Hindmarsh Island) will surpass Mount Gambier's mantle as SA's largest urban area outside Adelaide, within the next 5 years.

Anyone care to shed some light on what "Fleurieu Coast" refers to? With a population of 2909, I'm guessing it refers to Normanville/Carrickalinga/Yankalilla.

Or it could be Aldinga / Aldinga Beach / Port Willunga / Sellicks Beach.

I've never heard the term used before for a population centre.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#118 Post by crawf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 am

rhino wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

Anyone care to shed some light on what "Fleurieu Coast" refers to? With a population of 2909, I'm guessing it refers to Normanville/Carrickalinga/Yankalilla.

I'm guessing it refers to the Normanville area?. Port Willunga / Aldinga would be around the 10-15k mark.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#119 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am

rhino wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

I've only heard it as a tourist marketing term. Referring to everything touristy along the coast from Selleck's Hill to Deep Creek.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#120 Post by rhino » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 am

monotonehell wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am
I've only heard it as a tourist marketing term. Referring to everything touristy along the coast from Selleck's Hill to Deep Creek.
Which would preclude it from the "contiguous urban area" qualification
cheers,
Rhino