Mount Gambier | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

#16 Post by Cruise » Sun May 13, 2007 9:44 pm

sorry i thought you were mad for a minute lol. But that makes alot of sense thanks

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#APP: Country Club Resort | Mount Gambier

#17 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:23 pm

Mount Gambier has another development proposed in the wake of the $22m 7 storey apartment block (now approved), the Riddock Hwy widening inro 4 lanes and the nearby $1.3bn pulp mill. (40 km away).

APRIL 2007 - From ABC South East SA news
A consortium has proposed a new $100m country club in MG west.

The proposed resort would include a golf club, entertainment centre and housing development on Mc Kay Rd. Developers hope the MG Golf Club will move into the complex,
after abandoning it's own expansion plans. The consortium says it has support from Allan Scott, who has previously announced plans for his owm multimillion dollar club.

A spokesman for the consortium , Eric Roughana, says it hopes all parties will support this new development. 'As I understand it there were zoning problems at both of them anyhow and the Allan Scott one was going to be an internal one. We believe that it will be successful and MG is ready for it,' he said.

The developers say they have begun the process to re-zone land and the Grant District Council has welcomed the plans.

ALSO this is listed in 'MAJOR PROJECTS . (SA Gov't)
ORGANISATION - Mount Gambier Real Estate Pty' LtD.
PROJECT TITILE - Sunnybrae Country Club - retirement village.
PROJECT DETAILS - Development of 200 houses, with luxury community facilities,
including a 9 hole golf course, on the outskirts of MG.
CONTACT - Ms. Margaret Radis

The place seems to be taking off - great news for MG. It is also noted in the top 20 manufacturing places in Australia.
Jack.

rhino

Re: $100m DEVELOPMENT - MOUNT GAMBIER

#18 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:53 pm

A Country Club with only a 9-hole golf course? And they are hoping that the Mount Gambier Golf Club will move there? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have expected that the Mount Gambier Golf Club currently has an 18-hole course? :?
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#19 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:57 pm

rhino wrote:A Country Club with only a 9-hole golf course?
Yeah it will also have blacks lol

skyliner

#20 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Don't be so negative you guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an analysis of MG populatiion reveals a low black constituency.

Rhino, I don't know about the financial situationof MG golf course at present. (a very close friend has been president for years and only just pulled out). Next, the city has another 18 hole golf course on the Pt. Macdonnell side which has existed several years and has catered more for the tourists. It's efect in competition with the MG course is unknown to me at this stage. (Remembering the population for MG is 24000 - it seems to much for that size under current conditions).
Jack.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#21 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 pm

skyliner wrote:Don't be so negative you guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an analysis of MG populatiion reveals a low black constituency.
i was making fun of the fact that a lot of the poorer country golf courses have blacks rather than greens, nothing to do with the people playing there lol.

rhino

#22 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am

The "blacks" are also known as "scrapes" and they are easy to spot as you drive past most country golf courses. They save a lot of money on irrigation infrastructure and water. They are much slower to play on though, and are avoided if greens can be afforded.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#23 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:45 am

Might need someone who actually plays golf to answer more accurately, but I believe they are a course sand, soaked in oil, and can be reasonably hard-packed. A scraping tool can usually be found close to the putting scrape, and is used to flatten the path between your ball and the hole.

Once, when I was in the pub at Kimba at the end of a long day's work with a mate, we got talking to a few locals, and they told us a story about how one of them had just returned from a trip to Adelaide where he had found enough time to play a round of golf. When he got back to Kimba he told his mates at the pub that in Adelaide "They've got green blacks!"
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#24 Post by skyliner » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 am

Sorry Rhino and Cruise control. I was not aware of the 'black' expression. Scrapes are made of sand and have to be lervelled with (usually wooden) scrape after use.

Now that you mention it I have seen 'scrapes' around country golf courses - and yes, in 'poorer' courses. Mind you, at $100m I doubt that the proposed one in Mg will have scrapes. I believe this secondly due to the wet climate (average 168 days a year withdrizzle/rain) MG has and the impression the developers will want to create.

The current MG golf couse would not want to close and go to the new development if it was of a poorer condition. Scrapes are made of sand and have to be levelled with a wide 'scrape' after use.
Jack.

urban
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by urban » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Note this proposal is in DC Grant not MtG. MtG is expanding beyond the City Council limits and into Grant which is predominantly a farming council with no interest in planning regulations. This development should go through without a hitch.

skyliner

#26 Post by skyliner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:45 pm

Spot on Urban!.
The city is expanding beyond the MG council area to the north as well. Makes me wonder about the ABS figures of the population of MG at 24000 - total built up area or MG city council area? This is especially so when you read the District Council of Grant figures
next to the MG council info. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Jack.

skyliner

Re: 7st Apartment complex for Mt Gambier

#27 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:27 pm

No problems mate!

Of interest also is that the 6 storey ex nurses home building (now apartments) and the new hospital building redevelopment into apartments (from 5 originally to 7 floors) puts the total length of the buildings at about 180m This is huge and is more equivalent to two average sized 14 floor buildings.

There must be some kind of market in MG to warrant investments risks like this. It constituting a big vote of confidence in the future of the city and runs against the regional population trends. Provincial cities/towns in SA are not doing too well overall. (see ABS site for regional city growth across the states and nation).
Jack.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 am

I disagree, compared to a few years ago Regional SA is surging.

Just take a look at most of the major projects in the Regional SA Projects Guide thread. Sure some towns are lagging behind, but the amount of investment being spent in regional areas is pretty impressive.

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:23 pm

In reply to your post Crawf - Your reference point for supporting the general condition of SA towns and cities as doing well was investment projects. Mine was in reference to population growth. Granted, the people with the money to invest can pick opportunities ahead of time and will take action. Population, however, reflects the past and takes time to catch up to cuurent trends.

ABS figures show Pt.Pirie, Whyalla and Pt Augusta as stagnating or going backwards. Conversely, in all fairness, Victor and Murray Bridge are going ahead as is Mt Barker. Gawler is really a function of Adelaide. Rural areas and towns, compared in other states, are having a much harder time.

However, I can take your point for the future, the whole state looks set to take off.
Jack.

skyliner

#30 Post by skyliner » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 am

UPDATE on the MG Coumtry club propsal.
(From minutes of the District Council Of Grant 30/4/07 EXTRACTS ONLY

'.. proposal to integrate resort facilities, a golf course and some 500 residential allotments.
....using recycled water and power from wind generation. The development will provide a major boost to tourism in the area....needs to work in with the Greater MG Master Plan... accessable to the public'.

Golf course and resort to be operated as separate entities. 'Ther golf course would be established to world championship standards so as to be capable of holding major tournaments'.

Discussions are under way with the MG golf club. 'Developers would hope to have the actual golf course ready to play on within 8 month'.

Some local landholders have already agreed to sell off their land

DC of Grant has given 'in principle' support to the project, subject to it's incorporation into the Greater MG Master Plan.
Jack.