Yorke Peninsula | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
dbl96
High Rise Poster!

Re:

#46 Post by dbl96 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Cruise wrote:
AtD wrote:
crawf_231 wrote:but they need to build a freeway from Port Wakefiled to Port Augusta
Overkill.
yes overkill do you drive up there often? i go up to port pirie at least once every 2 months and i tell you the roads almost 2 lanes in each direction now with all the overtaking lanes. What i believe they do need is though now is to bring Pt Wakefield road up to a freeway standard, so no more driving over the oppisote side of the road to turn and to stop devolopment along the road from Pt Wakefield to Salisbury Highway.
What they need to do is hook the Northern connector to virginia bypass with a freeway grade road. this will allow the norther connector to superceed the section of PW road from Grand junction road to virginia bybass. Then upgrade Port wakefield road to freeway grade from virginia- pt wakefield. build a freeway grade bypass around port wakefeild. Duplicate Wakefeild-Pirie, and add more overtaking lanes on pirie-augusta.

I wonder if they will get their act together and provide a country passenger service up to wakfeild waters? I doubt it. they should make a legislation, that any development over 5000 people has to have rail provided by the developer unless there is a very good reason why its cant be done.

The thing that realy concerns me is that port wakefield is about to be swamped by rich old elderly people who will completly change the nature of the town and probably turn their noses up and by snobby to the less fortunate currant inhabetants of the town. I think a better aproach to meeting housing shortages in the regeon would be to build more modest homes targeted at young families who will contribute positivley to the community.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Re:

#47 Post by Waewick » Mon May 09, 2011 12:01 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Cruise wrote:
AtD wrote:but they need to build a freeway from Port Wakefiled to Port Augusta
Overkill.
The thing that realy concerns me is that port wakefield is about to be swamped by rich old elderly people who will completly change the nature of the town and probably turn their noses up and by snobby to the less fortunate currant inhabetants of the town. I think a better aproach to meeting housing shortages in the regeon would be to build more modest homes targeted at young families who will contribute positivley to the community.
I agree with you re:rail

however re -read what you just posted in bold and have a think about it....

Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Yorke Peninsula | Developments & News

#48 Post by Vee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Good news for Yorke Peninsula economy and jobs and for clean energy.
Australia's biggest wind farm approved on Yorke Peninsula

A $1.5 billion wind farm south-west of Ardrossan on Yorke Peninsula in South Australia has been approved.
The State Government has thrown its support behind the 197-turbine plan, which it says will create 500 jobs.

The company involved says it's working to allay community concerns over aerial firefighting access.
Chris Judd, managing director of Senvion Australia, the company behind the project, says he's confident that firefighting around the turbines won't be affected.

"The Country Fire Service don't have any great issues with wind farms. If we're talking about aerial means to address fires, water dumping and the like, they can continue to fly.

"They just need to recognise obviously that there is a physical structure there, and subject to flying conditions and visibility, they can work around that structure."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-13/s ... ed/5257146

Waewick

#49 Post by Waewick » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Bloody fantastic news.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:33 am

Wallaroo Shores Development proposed:

From InDaily
$220 million development 'to create 2200 jobs'

A $220 million development is set to be built along the foreshore of a beachside town on the Yorke Peninsula.

The 100-townhouse Wallaroo Shores Resort will overlook the shores of the Spencer Gulf and feature a cinema, swimming pool, gymnasium, tennis courts, function centre and café.

The development will also include 656 premium residential dwellings and cover 18 hectares of beachfront land.

Minister for Regional Development Geoff Brock told reporters at the opening of the development that it was a coup for regional South Australia.

“It’s great to see a project like this one come out into the regions,” he said.

“It’s a very positive thing – it’s going to be an opportunity.

“If you look at the presentation from the developer, they’re saying the jobs will be in South Australia, and I think I can only go on what is said there.”

The project is expected to create around 1000 full-time jobs during construction and an extra 1200 indirect jobs.

Brock said the State Government had not been involved in funding the development, which will be constructed over the next decade.

Monopoly Property Group director Ben Howard said the company had settled on the Wallaroo location after a nationwide search.

“This project is the culmination of an extensive, nationwide search for the perfect seaside location upon which to create the next generation of high-end resort and retirement living,” he said.

“We are immensely pleased to be helping breathe new life into the state’s economy, particularly in a region beset by obvious ongoing challenges.”

A coordinated media event was held to spruik the project at the site this morning.

Copper Coast District Council CEO Peter Harder told InDaily the Monopoly Property Group had consulted with the council and held community consultation sessions to ensure public support for the plan.

Harder said the development would complement recent upgrades to the town centre, attract tourists and retirees, and help to put Wallaroo “back on the map”.

“It’s evolving into a tourist (destination),” he said.

He said the town had previously been disappointed when planned developments had failed to come to fruition, and that there was anxiety that this development would be the same.

“(There were) lots of doubts and fears that this wasn’t going to happen,” he said.

He said the development continued the momentum of an “era of excitement” for the town.

Singapore-based SilverNeedle Hospitality Group will operate the resort.

“The resort will be managed under our upscale Sage Hotel brand, the second in South Australia,” said SilverNeedle area vice-president of business development Tushar Raninga.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:01 am

I haven't been to Wallaroo for a few years now, but I hope they have fixed some of those local roads. They were shocking from memory. This development, plus an upgrade to the Yorkey's Crossing interchange could really drive tourism in this area, especially for people of an older demographic.

rhino

#52 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:11 am

Norman wrote:I haven't been to Wallaroo for a few years now, but I hope they have fixed some of those local roads. They were shocking from memory. This development, plus an upgrade to the Yorkey's Crossing interchange could really drive tourism in this area, especially for people of an older demographic.
Er, Yorkey's Crossing is north of Port Augusta, Norman.
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm

rhino wrote:
Norman wrote:I haven't been to Wallaroo for a few years now, but I hope they have fixed some of those local roads. They were shocking from memory. This development, plus an upgrade to the Yorkey's Crossing interchange could really drive tourism in this area, especially for people of an older demographic.
Er, Yorkey's Crossing is north of Port Augusta, Norman.
It is too, sorry haha. I meant the one near Port Wakefield.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Blimp » Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Mantra to operate new Yorke Peninsula resort
May 11, 2016 10:09am
Richard Evans The Advertiser

An accommodation operator has been announced for a $40 million Yorke Peninsula resort scheduled to open later this year.

The Mantra Group will manage the four star Wallaroo Shores resort 160 kilometres northwest of Adelaide.

The resort is being developed by Monopoly Property Group as part of a wider $220 million development set to transform 18.5 hectares of beachside that will include a two-storey function centre, including meeting facilities, cinema, convenience store and cafe, all accessible to the public.

“We’re thrilled Mantra has come on board,” said Monopoly CEO, Alex Paior. “One in 10 Australians stay with Mantra Group every year and the company is renowned as a leading accommodation provider in Australia and internationally.

“We believe the Mantra brand will be the very best fit in helping us deliver high-end accommodation that’s overdue on the vibrant Copper Coast.”

Mantra Group operates more than 125 properties in city and leisure destinations across Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia.

“Mantra Wallaroo Shores Resort will be our first property in regional South Australia,” said Mantra Group CEO, Bob East.

“We are very confident that the resort will complement our existing high-performing Adelaide city portfolio and that it will quickly become a popular escape of choice away from the city.”

The resort’s townhouse accommodation will go on sale this year.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 947675c9e7

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by crawf » Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Awesome stuff, exactly what our regional areas need more of :)

rhino

#56 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:22 am

SA’s first artificial reef on Yorke Peninsula to improve marine environment
JADE GAILBERGER, ENVIRONMENT REPORTER, The Advertiser June 28, 2016

AN artificial reef will be built on the Yorke Peninsula to improve recreational fishing in the region.

The ecologically sustainable artificial reef is the state’s first, and will be built south of Ardrossan on the Yorke Peninsula.

The site, which is being developed by the State Government following community consultation in December, will span about four hectares in northwestern Gulf St Vincent.

It will be constructed using limestone, oyster shells and live native oysters, at a cost of around $600,000.

Unlike the artificial tyre reef at Glenelg, native shell reefs have no risk of pollution or causing damage to the environment, and is specially designed to attract marine life to the new and improved habitat.

It will be accessible from several boat ramps in the area.

Environment Minister Ian Hunter said artificial reefs create new places to fish for locals, and increase tourism to the benefit of local businesses, while providing new habitats for marine species.

Minister for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries Leon Bignell said the Yorke Peninsula attracted one million visitors each year, with about half visiting the area to fish.

“It’s an important part of the South Australian way of life and a vital economic driver,” he said.

RecFish SA executive director David Ciaravolo a new reef that benefits recreational fishers is a great development.

Yorke Peninsula Council CEO Andrew Cameron the new trial reed will benefit the council area with ongoing employment, and the restoration of shellfish numbers.
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by drsmith » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:27 pm

I posted the following in another thread a while ago but this is a more appropriate place for it,

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/content/upperyorke

The above however doesn't address the present national highway through Port Wakefield or the intersection with the Copper Coast Highway immediately to the north. I don't expect much to happen with the latter as the holiday bottleneck is at the town itself. I now expect the diversion of Copper Coast traffic via the longer route during holiday periods to continue to be used for some time given the expense of constructing a new bypass.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by drsmith » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 am

Work to convert the Federation Corner T-junction into a roundabout is commencing this week.

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__ ... rk_....pdf

The above includes a revised map of the design. Changes include a displacement of the roundabout from the centre of the Copper Coast Highway alignment to west. Roundabout metering signals will also be installed on the Yorke Highway eastbound approach.

On Monday last week, there were speed restrictions at the Copper Coast Highway T-junction with Port Wakefield Road. I'm not sure if this was for roadworks there or associated with the management of public holiday traffic.

ChillyPhilly

#59 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Cowell foreshore getting a makeover.

https://www.eyretribune.com.au/story/59 ... ansformed/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rhino

#60 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 pm
Cowell foreshore getting a makeover.

https://www.eyretribune.com.au/story/59 ... ansformed/
Interesting concept, but wrong peninsula Chilly :D
cheers,
Rhino