Sporting facility or Hospital???

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Sporting facility or Hospital???

#61 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 am

And why is no one crying out about the state swimming centre being moved out into the suburbs?
Since when was marion close to anything?

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 am

Cruise Control wrote:And why is no one crying out about the state swimming centre being moved out into the suburbs?
Since when was marion close to anything?
Build that too on the Clipsal site. Why not? Might as well.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:18 am

stelaras wrote:Adelaide oval is not a stadium!
It is a historical aspect of our city which deserves to be preserved

If we are ever to be serious about attracting serious sporting events we must have world class stadia that have to be close to the city.

Take melbourne as an example, in the immediate vicinity of the MCG (football, cricket), there are 2 stadiums the Tennis centre (tennis, basketball and most recently swimming) and olympic park (rugby/soccer) both of which are within walking distance to the city. On the opposite end of the city there is Telstra Dome (football, cricket, soccer) (again within walking distance to the city)

This is the reason why they get all of theses major events, their stadia are world class and close to the city, this gets bums on seats making the events a success and provides the city with lots of visitor income... It is in my opinion the perfect blend!

Adelaide can definitely do with a world class stadium to host more than one type of event, unfortunatley Adelaide oval isn't a world class stadium and with its partial heritage listing it can never be, AAMI is severly outdated (and not world class and too far away from the city) and hindmarch stadium is only semi-world class, and we really dont have a world class tennis facility (which is why we lost the Adelaide tennis event)

Perhaps a stadium over the railway isnt the best option perhaps we should consolidate major stadia in and around hindmarsh and have appropriate PT into the city from there. Im not sure what the solution to this is but im 100% convinced that if Adelaide is to get major sporting events it needs to build world class modern stadiums within a very close proximity to the city

just my thoughts
So staleras can you explain to my why MCG wasnt 'preserved' considering all the history it has? It is called melbourne CRICKET gound, so its name suggests it has some relevence to cricket, however it has had all of its historical members stands demolished to make way for huge stands.

So if adelaide oval were to put some more stadiums in to pump it from 34000 to 55000 it could replace AAMI stadium as the major stadium for all football and cricket events.

Much cheaper solution than making a new one. Cos at least the worlds most beautiful oval will ACTUALLY get some usage and some exposure.

rhino

#64 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:25 am

jimmy_2486 wrote: at least the worlds most beautiful oval will ACTUALLY get some usage and some exposure.
But it will no longer be the world's most beautiful test cricket oval, will it?

Have you ever been turned away from an international match at Adelaide Oval because it was full? I haven't, and I've been to a few very crowded internationals there, especially on Australia Day. Until we're turning people away because there's no more room, we don't need to turn it into a stadium.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#65 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:36 am

rhino wrote:But it will no longer be the world's most beautiful test cricket oval, will it?

Have you ever been turned away from an international match at Adelaide Oval because it was full? I haven't, and I've been to a few very crowded internationals there, especially on Australia Day. Until we're turning people away because there's no more room, we don't need to turn it into a stadium.
Sounds good to me.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Will » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:41 am

Leave Adelaide Oval alone. It is definately the most picturesque cricket oval in the world. It is a tourist attraction in its own right. Every time I watch the cricket the commentators always mention how beautiful the ground is. These same commentators never mention how beautiful the modern stands at the Gabba or the Waca are. In fact only the heritage stands at the SCG receive the same amount of praise.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Well our other option is to do up AAMI staduim again.

I mean we are too small to have 3 major ovals, it would be a waste of money for a city of our size.

I think the little money we have in our state should not be wasted on a new sporting facility when we already have two. We could use that money to improve what we have, or to move funds elsewhere.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:09 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Well our other option is to do up AAMI staduim again.

I mean we are too small to have 3 major ovals, it would be a waste of money for a city of our size.

I think the little money we have in our state should not be wasted on a new sporting facility when we already have two. We could use that money to improve what we have, or to move funds elsewhere.
but the arguement is to make a new stadium in or close to the city, which will replace AAMI.... hence no need for AAMI

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 pm

which is money wasted.....

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:18 pm

I think we have many more serious problems to deal with to worry about this.....and I dont think our puny ass budget will suffice such spending.

I mean we have NO decent freeways, our PT is abolutly sub-standard, and the list goes on.....i dont think a new stadium will be too high on the list in this poor state.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:40 pm

rhino wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote: at least the worlds most beautiful oval will ACTUALLY get some usage and some exposure.

Are you serious? The last test match played there was sold out months in advance. One day internationals are regularly sold out. And the reason it doesn't sell out more often is that the only other evens it holds there are SANFL and domestic cricket, which have very small followings. For a sports ground in the heart of the city it is extremely underutilized. And that is all due to the restrictions that it imposes upon itself.

Adelaide Oval is completely insignificant for most of the year. And that's because it is a relic that refuses to move with the times. The MCG example is on the money. That stadium is far more prestigious and a far greater tourist attraction than Adelaide Oval is or ever will be.

And anyone who thinks an upgrade has to lessen its beauty is really limiting their imagination. Look at the upgrades that have already happened in recent years. The eastern stand is horrendous. The Bradman Stand is average. Better looking stands could and should be created, if only the stakeholders were willing to accept some new ideas instead of clinging to the past.

The beautiful aspects of the arena could be preserved. The facade of the western stand could be incorporated into an updated version. The eastern stand could be replaced by anything and it would be an improvement. Other features of Adelaide Oval, such as the view of the cathedral could be retained. Imagine a gap of somesort between stands that exposes the cathedral to the view of most of the western and southern side, including the TV cameras, revealing an illuminated cathedral at night. Imagine a stand replacing the Bradman stand that is actually lesser in height, and reveals views of the city skyline.

But it can't ever happen now. They've resisted change for too long that there is no turning back. Look how long they resisted putting up lights. That says it all.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by stelaras » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:05 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
stelaras wrote:Adelaide oval is not a stadium!
It is a historical aspect of our city which deserves to be preserved

If we are ever to be serious about attracting serious sporting events we must have world class stadia that have to be close to the city.

Take melbourne as an example, in the immediate vicinity of the MCG (football, cricket), there are 2 stadiums the Tennis centre (tennis, basketball and most recently swimming) and olympic park (rugby/soccer) both of which are within walking distance to the city. On the opposite end of the city there is Telstra Dome (football, cricket, soccer) (again within walking distance to the city)

This is the reason why they get all of theses major events, their stadia are world class and close to the city, this gets bums on seats making the events a success and provides the city with lots of visitor income... It is in my opinion the perfect blend!

Adelaide can definitely do with a world class stadium to host more than one type of event, unfortunatley Adelaide oval isn't a world class stadium and with its partial heritage listing it can never be, AAMI is severly outdated (and not world class and too far away from the city) and hindmarch stadium is only semi-world class, and we really dont have a world class tennis facility (which is why we lost the Adelaide tennis event)

Perhaps a stadium over the railway isnt the best option perhaps we should consolidate major stadia in and around hindmarsh and have appropriate PT into the city from there. Im not sure what the solution to this is but im 100% convinced that if Adelaide is to get major sporting events it needs to build world class modern stadiums within a very close proximity to the city

just my thoughts
So staleras can you explain to my why MCG wasnt 'preserved' considering all the history it has? It is called melbourne CRICKET gound, so its name suggests it has some relevence to cricket, however it has had all of its historical members stands demolished to make way for huge stands.

So if adelaide oval were to put some more stadiums in to pump it from 34000 to 55000 it could replace AAMI stadium as the major stadium for all football and cricket events.

Much cheaper solution than making a new one. Cos at least the worlds most beautiful oval will ACTUALLY get some usage and some exposure.

As far as iam able to ascertain the MCG was given the go ahead by the federal governemnet for heritage listing on the 26th day of December 2005 (http://www.treasurer.gov.au/tsr/content ... 05/173.asp). Thus it was redeveloped because it was wasn't heritage listed. So, since Adelaide oval or parts of it are heritage listed it means that it can NEVER be redeveloped (unless it loses its listing or it burns down and needs to be demolished)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#73 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:10 pm

stelaras wrote: (unless it loses its listing or it burns down and needs to be demolished)
shhh. dont say that i can see jimmy going to the shop buying matches now.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by stelaras » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:[ They've resisted change for too long that there is no turning back. Look how long they resisted putting up lights. That says it all.
You Guys actually do not understand what heritage listing means! It SIMPLY means no renovations/knockdowns/fitouts to the sections of the oval that are listed.

That is why it cant be renovated that is why it wont be renovated!. The lights don't imapact on the heritage listing because no heritage listed items were or would have been damaged.

It took so bloody long to put them up because of those North Adelaide residents!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
rhino wrote:

Are you serious? The last test match played there was sold out months in advance. One day internationals are regularly sold out. And the reason it doesn't sell out more often is that the only other evens it holds there are SANFL and domestic cricket, which have very small followings. For a sports ground in the heart of the city it is extremely underutilized. And that is all due to the restrictions that it imposes upon itself.

Adelaide Oval is completely insignificant for most of the year. And that's because it is a relic that refuses to move with the times. The MCG example is on the money. That stadium is far more prestigious and a far greater tourist attraction than Adelaide Oval is or ever will be.

And anyone who thinks an upgrade has to lessen its beauty is really limiting their imagination. Look at the upgrades that have already happened in recent years. The eastern stand is horrendous. The Bradman Stand is average. Better looking stands could and should be created, if only the stakeholders were willing to accept some new ideas instead of clinging to the past.

The beautiful aspects of the arena could be preserved. The facade of the western stand could be incorporated into an updated version. The eastern stand could be replaced by anything and it would be an improvement. Other features of Adelaide Oval, such as the view of the cathedral could be retained. Imagine a gap of somesort between stands that exposes the cathedral to the view of most of the western and southern side, including the TV cameras, revealing an illuminated cathedral at night. Imagine a stand replacing the Bradman stand that is actually lesser in height, and reveals views of the city skyline.

But it can't ever happen now. They've resisted change for too long that there is no turning back. Look how long they resisted putting up lights. That says it all.
I think what makes Adelaide oval so picturesque is because of its location and its surroundings, the stadium is just a few stands and a grass patch which looks no different to say glenelg oval, and unley oval, etc.

However no dought if adelaide oval were to change it would look shit. Because the grass patches and those stands looks soo good.