Ideas for a greater public transport system

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Ideas for a greater public transport system

#316 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Cruise wrote:A bus interchange on the RAH site?
Why?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#317 Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I was replying to the article Wayno posted. in that article it said they could not think of an appropriate site for a bus interchange, Just my two cents......

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#318 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:40 pm

The point of the bus interchange idea is it's supposed to be central.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#319 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Cruise wrote:A bus interchange on the RAH site?
Shh that's my idea...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#320 Post by adam73837 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Guys! I've just returned from Sydney and found myslef getting around the city to places such as Darling Harbour, Bondi Junction, International airport (which I went to to see the A380 -huge), etc.
Anyway, I've thought about some ideas for quite a while regarding some future subways for Adelaide's metro area.
Firstly, as stated earlier in this forum, the Noarlunga Line should go under KWS and join onto the current line... I've stated before that it was part of the MATS Plan, but I guess I'll state it again. It is a good idea and will service the city really well, too bad a prime strip of land is currently occupied by a tramline which doesn;t connect to as many areas as the trains do... :cry:
Secondly, I've suggested to have a subway going from the current Adelaide Central station to Mount Barker. I've now revised it and edited it (for those of you who have read it). Have the train go underneath, the Museum, Art Gallery, State Library, Adelaide Uni, Uni SA, RAH and finally have a station underneath Rundle Road to service the East End as well as PAC and Kent Town Next, could be a station at Victoria Park located just across from the Queen Victoria Hospital which could also service the Rose Park area as well as the Clipsal 500 and Victoria Park itself (if it gets redeveloped :?: :?: :?: ). Then have a station underneath the Fullarton-Glen Osmond Road Intersection. This will service Gelnside, the Arkaba, Frewville and other nearby areas. The train can then go underneath Glen Osmond Road and have a station at the Conyngham Street Intersection, which can service Glenunga, Parkside and the nearby High School and Primary Schools. The train can then continue underneath Glen Osmond Road and eventually Adelaide-Crafers Highway, with stations at the Portrush Road-Cross Road- Glen Osmond Road- Adelaide-Crafers Highway Intersection and a station at Crafers. It can then continue along the median strip of the freeway (like in Perth) to Mt Barker with stations at Bridgewater and Woodside(Handorf). These two stations (as well as the one at Crafers) can be surrounded by glass panels which enclosed foot bridges going from the station, above the flowing traffic and onto existing (or adjusently built) park-and-ride facilities. As for the Mount Barker scenario, the train can lead stop on the Northern side of the freeway and have 'glass aero bridges' going across the freeway to Adelaide Road. By having it on the northern side, it will allow room for a future extension. BTW, we can have stations that are only open on weekends at the Museum and next to the Britannia Roundabout. REMEMBER, ONCE IT LEAVES ADELAIDE CENTRAL, THE TRAIN IS UNDERGROUND UNTIL IT REACHES CRAFERS.
Meanwhile, we can either:
replace the O-Bahn with a train line that can be extended to Golden Grove and eventually linked onto the Gawler line, while we build a tunnel which connects to the line I mentioned above near the RAH site.
OR
extend our O-Bahn to Golden Grove, whilst we build a tunnel underneath the parklands and have an interchange next to East Terrace, adjacent to the East End Train station I mentioned earlier. This allows buses to continue on their other routes, both in and out of the city.
Just a few ideas, I may post some more some other time.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#321 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 am

I'm not sure about this one, but I heard the gradient of the South-Eastern Freeway is too steep for heavy rail, at least the Glen Osmond to Crafers section.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#322 Post by adam73837 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 am

I'm not sure if anyone will read what I wrote on the S-A ACC Document thing, so I'll just post it here where it is more likely to be seen.
Hi guys! I'm sorry I didn't get to post something in before you sent the document, but what about a monorail to an 'east end loop'? It could start at the Adelaide Arcade on the southern side of Grenfell Street and then turn left onto the West Side of Pultney Street with a station at Rundle Mall. It can then turn left onto NorthTerrace and have a station at David Jones. It can then go down Gawler Place and have another station at that atrium thingy (you know what I'm talking about). It can then turn right onto the northern side of Rundle Mall and have a station at the Myer Centre. Once it gets to KWS, there can be station, before it turns left down KWS and goes right down to the Currie-Grenfell-KWS Intersection (where there can be a station before) it turns back onto Grenfell Street and goes back to the Adelaide Arcade.
The benefit of having a monorail rather than a tram in this area is that a monorail is far above the ground and allows people to really get a good view of our 'activity hub'. Having just been in Sydney, I went on their monorail and found that it was a brilliant system that provide superb views of everything that it went past or near (particularly Darling Harbour and Pitt Street).
Guys, just think about the monorail idea carefully, before you jump down my throat.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#323 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

AtD wrote:The point of the bus interchange idea is it's supposed to be central.
Well then, Better demolish Adelaide railway station. It's not central

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#324 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Cruise wrote:
AtD wrote:The point of the bus interchange idea is it's supposed to be central.
Well then, Better demolish Adelaide railway station. It's not central
The station's biggest failing.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#325 Post by Edgar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:21 pm

a little out of the discussion here, but would anyone be able to tell me why are all the trains have film layer over the outside window?

All this while I thought they were perspex which is why they've gone blurry due to sun, but when I took a closer look, it was actually a layer of film from outside the window that happens to stay there half peeled.

Why has no one in TransAdelaide actually bothered to remove those film so we could get a nice clear view from inside the train?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!

#326 Post by adam73837 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Perhaps because the window will be too thin :?: :?: :?:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#327 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Edgar wrote:a little out of the discussion here, but would anyone be able to tell me why are all the trains have film layer over the outside window?

All this while I thought they were perspex which is why they've gone blurry due to sun, but when I took a closer look, it was actually a layer of film from outside the window that happens to stay there half peeled.

Why has no one in TransAdelaide actually bothered to remove those film so we could get a nice clear view from inside the train?
It's a UV filter and tint so that direct sunlight doesn't burn the passengers near the window. You'll see it on all buses as well in various shades. Of course now that the windows are all scratched the sun doesn't get through much at all. ;)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#328 Post by jk1237 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:31 pm

the outside layer of plastic is to stop rock throwers from smashing windows, and preventing scratch graffiti on the windows. Its been very good at doing this, its just a window is meant to be seen through :roll:

By the way adam, just saying the word monorail freaks me out, so I am gonna jump down your throat now. Dont mention it again, monorails are ridiculous :lol: . If you want something above ground, just do an elevated train line or light rail :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#329 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:05 pm

jk1237 wrote:By the way adam, just saying the word monorail freaks me out, so I am gonna jump down your throat now. Dont mention it again, monorails are ridiculous :lol: . If you want something above ground, just do an elevated train line or light rail :D
While monorails have a lot of negative association thanks to the Simpsons and the fact that they are generally put in place as a white elephant tourist attraction, they are actually much better in an urban situation than an El-train. They are quieter and lighter than light rail. Metal on metal screeches, most El-trains have been removed from urban centres because they are noisy and the trestles are unsightly.

The negatives about monorails are that they must be maintained as a closed loop (or return shuttle) as they don't integrate with long distance PT without transfers. But they are the perfect people movers in airports and for elevated city loops etc.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#330 Post by Edgar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:13 pm

make sense, but they need replacement, wait, the entire fleet needs replacement.

However, I do notice that these rolling ain't bad looking if given a freshlit, or some window replacements. They looked so American in the 80s, where, then you see chromes on rails and aircrafts. But in all honestly, re-sleepering needs to be done, electrifying all our rail lines, so newer, quieter, efficient rolling stocks could be use.

I also agree with monotonhell as monorails are the perfect people movers who wishes to travel within the proximity of CBD areas or suburbs close to CBD. When we are hoping to have more people migrating to Adelaide city especially in and around the CBD proximity, there are the need for looped (or shuttle) public transport. The only real alternative at the moment is the 99C Bus route, but for a rail alternative, monorails are the best thing we could have.

Trams are not reliable in SA, while trains serve a good purpose to transport people to urban and suburbs that are far from the city. Buses, however, is the least reliable just because they rely heavily on traffic conditions on the road.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.