Ideas for a greater public transport system

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#31 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Yeah and many cities have bus systems similar to the O'barn.

Your point?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:37 pm

crawf wrote:Yeah and many cities have bus systems similar to the O'barn.

Your point?
i was questioning the point of your argument to begin with

:roll:

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:48 pm

No city has adopted Adelaide's O-Bahn system, because its on its own corridor. You cant really call them 'O-Bahns' in other countries because they run alongside the road, which technically has no point, because thats just the same as using a specified bus lane.

If the O-Bahn was a success, it would have been adopted by other cities in its format. Obviously there are flaws with the system - so its much more logical to convert to a train corridor which would substantionally improve capacity and travel times.

Your Melbourne trams argument has no point, so I too question your argument or lack thereof.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 pm

crawf wrote:So your saying just because no other city has the Obarn (which is untrue). We should just rip up a perfectly good system and lose our iconic pubic transport.
So the Southern Expressway should stay the way it is because it's "iconic" as it's the only one-way reversible freeway in the world and it's doing a perfectly good job as-is?

O'Bahn is hardly iconic. It's an over-engineered solution with no real benefits over a conventional busway. If it wasn't then Adelaide wouldn't be the only place with a track.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:49 pm

[quote="shuza"You cant really call them 'O-Bahns' in other countries because they run alongside the road.[/quote]

I said systems similar to the O'Bahn
bulldozer wrote:So the Southern Expressway should stay the way it is because it's "iconic" as it's the only one-way reversible freeway in the world and it's doing a perfectly good job as-is?
Don't get me started on that expressway. That freeway is only one-way, the O'Bahn is a two way bus track.
O'Bahn is hardly iconic. It's an over-engineered solution with no real benefits over a conventional busway. If it wasn't then Adelaide wouldn't be the only place with a track.
Its the Worlds Longest Bus way, so thats pretty iconic. And many people know about the O'Bahn.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:05 pm

crawf wrote:Its the Worlds Longest Bus way, so thats pretty iconic. And many people know about the O'Bahn.
most people outside of Australia probably wouldnt even know that Adelaide exists, let alone that it has an o-bahn.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by AG » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:53 pm

The O-Bahn is an Adelaide thing. Few people outside of Adelaide have heard of it.

In a general, the Southern Expressway isn't the only freeway that is reversible in direction. The Warringah Freeway in Sydney is a four carriageway freeway, with the two middle carriageways reversible in direction for morning and afternoon peak hour. 3 operate southbound to the bridge in the morning, 1 northbound while 1 operates south in the afternoon and 3 north.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:48 am

AG wrote:In a general, the Southern Expressway isn't the only freeway that is reversible in direction. The Warringah Freeway in Sydney is a four carriageway freeway, with the two middle carriageways reversible in direction for morning and afternoon peak hour.
But you can still travel in both directions any time of the day. Pretty much every city has a road like that. Adelaide has Flagstaff Hill Road and Brisbane has Coronation Drive.

Tell anyone who's not from Adelaide about the Southern Expressway and you pretty much get the same response: "That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!"

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by shuza » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:55 am

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Its the Worlds Longest Bus way, so thats pretty iconic. And many people know about the O'Bahn.
most people outside of Australia probably wouldnt even know that Adelaide exists, let alone that it has an o-bahn.
It hurts, but its so true.

Please refrain from further debate about that goddamned 'expressway'. Ugh.
Speaking of which, I thought I heard MHS say something about if Liberals were in power they would duplicate it? Anyone confirm this?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:58 pm

shuza wrote:
Please refrain from further debate about that goddamned 'expressway'. Ugh.
Speaking of which, I thought I heard MHS say something about if Liberals were in power they would duplicate it? Anyone confirm this?
Well they built it, they should fix it i suppose

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Bulldozer wrote: Tell anyone who's not from Adelaide about the Southern Expressway and you pretty much get the same response: "That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!"
Actually if you asked most people from Adelaide, you would get the same response. Its one of the most ridiculous things this city has ever built - thankgod it was designed to be duplicated, though it should of been a two way 4 lane freeway from the start.

But every city makes mistakes or does dumb things.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:15 am

Designed to be duplicated at a ridiculous future cost no goverment will be stuffed to spend.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:26 am

It will be done in the future

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:59 am

There has been a bit of an outcry recently from residents of the south pleading the goverment for crucial infrastructure upgrades to support the growing population of the region. It was in the Messenger some weeks ago, but I remember seeing some of the demands including:
Duplication of Southern Expressway
Extension of railway line to Seaford (theres not a large enough majority to support an Aldinga extension)
Duplication of Victor Harbor Road (in McLaren Vale)
Re-opening the McLaren Vale train line.
Not to mention, there were about 50 million 'needs' from each individual resident interviewed, claiming things like 'The cul-de-sac at the end of my street needs to be bigger'.
Quite a needy and annoying bunch down south
:?

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by bdm » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm

South needs more... it's much more pleasant, scenery-wise, than the north, so with a bit a infrastructure investment she could take off.

Duping the SExpressway, building a Southern O-Bahn, extending the rail line and making VH Road dual carriageway to McLaren Vale would all have significant impact.