Monarto; Please Explain

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Monarto; Please Explain

#1 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:55 am

Wikipedia has been useless and I can't find anything really helpful regarding this topic so here goes.
Can someone please explain to me the exact idea behind creating the second district or CBD or whatever they planned to do in the 60s 70s?? I don't really understand what was planned to happen and how it was shelved and later abandoned. Would it have been a good thing in the long run?

If someone could explain these things I will be very appreciative!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

Re: Monarto; Please Explain

#2 Post by bmw boy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:28 pm

i remember watching a story on stateline bout it..

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/cont ... 671896.htm

bva
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by bva » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:24 pm

try doing internet search for the monarto development commission, hopefully some further info will arise
also try borrowing a book called 'With Conscious Purpose: A History of Town Planning in South Australia (1986). Hutchings, Alan.' Alan Hutchings was the Director of this Commission and if memory serves there is a long history of Monarto in this book. It may be hard to find at local libraries so try the State or Uni of SA libraries

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 am

I'm kinda glad this never got of the ground, because it would of just been full of sprawl and probably end up connecting up to Adelaide..

Plus there would of been poor transport connection to Adelaide as there is only the SE Freeway and minor roads.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 am

South Australia is destined through a vissionary Labour government to have another major city of some significance built either now or sometime in the future. Remember the MFP back in the eighties. That didn't go a head. However there have been certain spin offs that headed towards that dirrection. Eg: Port Adelaide and Mawson Lakes redevelopment & development. The Multifunction Polis would have encompased most if not all of that area if it would have gone ahead. Monarto was the original brain child. :idea:

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Bulldozer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:20 pm

Seeing as Rann idolises Dunstan, I think Buckland Park sounds like his version of Monarto. Anyway, why can't we just use an existing city as a "second major city"? Port Lincoln immediately springs to mind as I understand it was going to be the state capital if there had been a more adequate/reliable water supply. If you want a satellite city then why not use Murray Bridge like the Professor in the Stateline story said? Only five minutes down the road from Monarto!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Bulldozer wrote: Only five minutes down the road from Monarto!

That depend on how fast you travel 8)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm pretty sure I read the other day that this new township will be home to 25,000 people (bogans heh), thats 10k more people

Plus this new township would include low/mid rise apartments not sure about hi-rises though, so this new township, might turn out alright. Is the beaches there safe to swim?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by Shuz » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Beaches?

Take a look at Google Earth crawf, and tell me if there are ANY beaches between port Adelaide and Port Wakefield.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 pm

momentkiller wrote:Beaches?

Take a look at Google Earth crawf, and tell me if there are ANY beaches between port Adelaide and Port Wakefield.
thompson beach for one

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:56 am

momentkiller wrote:Beaches?

Well there is the ocean between Port Adelaide & Port Wakefield, thats why I asked :roll: