Roads & Rail

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Roads & Rail

#136 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Peter Van the Party Man :P

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Norman wrote:Peter Van the Party Man :P
he's the man, party products and bread making supplies as well!

Actually this is a very busy intersection, perhaps an overpass would be a good idea? apart from the Party Man there's nothing else that would really suffer (the church i suppose)...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#138 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Underpass please. Overpasses are too ugly and stand out way too much.

In fact, upgrade the entire strech of Goodwood Road, that road is so bad it's not funny.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#139 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 pm

^^ If/when South Road is 'non-stop,' it won't be needed.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#140 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Goodwood Road needs to be upgraded nevertheless. Even if it's just resurfacing and the tram crossing. Those areas need to be done ASAP because they are terrible.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#141 Post by Jim » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:06 pm

There are Lots of these intersections around Adelaide that don’t quite line up resulting in two sets of lights. Hampstead and Muller’s road has recently fixed by realignment.
The other obvious one of these intersections is South road with Black and Majors roads at O’Halloran Hill, two sets of lights and lots of vacant land around; it looks to be an easy fix

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#142 Post by adam73837 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:14 pm

If we want to fix our problems for the long-term, bring back the North-South Freeway, Modbury Freeway, the Dry Creek Expressway, the subway under KWS, build an eastern orbital to divert traffic from the suburbs, add a branch off of the Belair Line to go to Flagstaff Hill, replace the O-Bahn with a train and extend it to Greenwith, bring back the Penfield Line and extend it to Angle Vale, bring back the Happy Valley Train Line, extend the Noarlunga Line to Seaford and find a way to send a train line to Mount Barker. And let's not forget putting an extensive tram network within the eastern & western suburbs as well as the southern suburbs north of Daws Road and the northern suburbs south of Grand Junction Road.
-A VERY expensive 'overhaul', but worth it in the long term!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#143 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:27 pm

They just finished the dry creek expressway adam......

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#144 Post by adam73837 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Cruise wrote:They just finished the dry creek expressway adam......
Yes, to a certain extent. The MATS Plan intended it to go from Port Adelaide (like the Port River Expressway) however, rather than stopping at Dry Creek, it would have continued on to where Montague Road is now and terminated at the Modbury Freeway, just west of TTP. If we were to build that and then have an Eastern Orbital (that can divert freight from the suburbs and around through the hills) starting just south of it, it would be perfect.
Let's at least hope that we can see the connection with Montague Road and the Port River Expressway at least.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam73837
High Rise Poster!

#145 Post by adam73837 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Let's also hope that one day we'll bring back the highways department -oh, how we miss it!
(I'm not being sarcastic by the way.)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#146 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:49 pm

A lot has changed since the 60s. Things like petrol prices and increasing importance of public transport make these projects more and more unlikely to happen.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#147 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Norman wrote:A lot has changed since the 60s. Things like petrol prices and increasing importance of public transport make these projects more and more unlikely to happen.
don't write off the other form of PT - private transportation. It will live on, and maybe even grow in popularity more than public transport. Electric cars for example...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#148 Post by cleverick » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:11 am

Electric cars still require roads, and they are as destructive to the environment, built and natural, as the petroleum-fuelled cars they currently serve.
Further, the use of cars supports ever-greater suburbs which in turn errodes farm and wilderness land, reducing the area of land available for cultivation or set aside as habitat for Australia's many endangered species. When was the last time you heard of a species on the endagered list being taken off, except to declare it extinct?

It is these things, besides the consumption of petrol and consequent climate change, which cause me to oppose private transport as the major means of mobility in today's urban landscape.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#149 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am

cleverick wrote: It is these things, besides the consumption of petrol and consequent climate change, which cause me to oppose private transport as the major means of mobility in today's urban landscape.
you can oppose all you want, but people will always require, nay demand private transportation...it's folly to believe otherwise.

Something like 35+% of greenhouse pollution arises from petrol driven cars (not forgetting the coal power plants that generate electricty for the car manufacturing industry). but interestingly, the move towards green sources of electricity generation will (in my opinion) make cars much more attractive! :lol:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#150 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Wayno wrote:you can oppose all you want, but people will always require, nay demand private transportation...it's folly to believe otherwise.

Something like 35+% of greenhouse pollution arises from petrol driven cars (not forgetting the coal power plants that generate electricty for the car manufacturing industry). but interestingly, the move towards green sources of electricity generation will (in my opinion) make cars much more attractive! :lol:
Cars and trucks are here to stay, fact of live, necessary to the functioning of modern society, and seeking means to reduce the pollution caused by them is an honourable goal that the taxpayer should support. But that in itself doesn't mean roads are any more deserving of taxpayer dollars than PT. There is an opportunity cost involved; every extra $1 devoted to one is $1 less available for the other. People will demand more roads as the government builds new roads: induced demand, and the same is true for PT. So the question becomes, which deserves the government spending?

If you're looking at total public, private and social cost per kilometre per passenger, you'll have to support PT. It's all a matter of scale. Congestion will exist regardless of energy source, and a new, cheaper energy source would obviously result in more congestion. PT is the answer to that congestion.

For example, the bus lane on the Sydney Harbour Bridge moves more people than the other seven lanes of traffic combined!