Railyards Site Redevelopment

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Railyards Site Redevelopment

#76 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Shuz wrote:I did this one...
no mate, it was simply a photograph of an existing stadium (from somewhere germany i think). I had a combined stadium/amphitheatre feel about it from memory...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by bm7500 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:14 pm

As much as i hate to think its a done deal, it seems more and more likley that the Rann Government will push ahead for the MJN Hospital on this prime North Tce site :roll:

When you take a look at the plans for the MJN hospital it still leaves a reasonable amount of room for an entertainment precinct (albeit not big enough for a new stadium). Being a realist, maybe we should start focusing on how to capitalise on the remaining parcel of Torrens side land that is currently under utilised.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:25 pm

bm7500 wrote:As much as i hate to think its a done deal, it seems more and more likley that the Rann Government will push ahead for the MJN Hospital on this prime North Tce site :roll:

When you take a look at the plans for the MJN hospital it still leaves a reasonable amount of room for an entertainment precinct (albeit not big enough for a new stadium). Being a realist, maybe we should start focusing on how to capitalise on the remaining parcel of Torrens side land that is currently under utilised.

Until the thread title on the MHN thread changes to "APP", I think we can continue to question and argue the decision made by our vision less government.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

i found it - this was the one - it's part of the munich olympic district!
olympic_stadium_munich.jpg
olympic_stadium_munich.jpg (65.32 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
i love this stadium - imagine it on the railyards with the north side open to the Torrens waterfront! Not only would you have a great view of the game, but also the vista across the river and up to montefiore hill - very nice indeed...

It would also be cheaper to build than a fully enclosed stadium (seating does not go all the way around - but still has 50,000+ capacity), the grass would grow well (no shading concerns), and temporary grandstands/seating could be quickly erected on the north side to expand seating capacity for extra large events (or create a smaller more intimate arena)...

Something like this design would certainly be unique in australia!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by Prince George » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 pm

That reminds me, my choice for inspiration of a stadium in that location comes from (of all things) baseball. Specifically - Camden Yards in Baltimore

Camden Yards was built in the 1990s and started the current trend in retro-ballparks. It's assymetrical and the exterior is red brick, which harks back to the 20's rather than the "concrete donut" that it replaced (which is more of a 60/70s design). Now that view is very impressive, but Baltimore manage to damage it by allowing a pair of hotels to get built between the park and the city. More pics 'n' stuff at

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/visits/oriole_park.htm

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/oriole.htm