Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#1 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:57 pm

As you might know, I am still working on my light rail/heavy rail visionary project, and after several delays, research and travelling, I am soon presenting my whole network plan for the future. It will not only cover the new light and heavy rail routes, but include all bus routes as well, many of them heavily modified to fit in with the new network.

I was planning to release it a while ago, but the recent bus changes have forced me to rethink some things and majorly change some of the routes.

Stay tuned :)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#2 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

Norman, I haven't been round here very long, so my apologies if this has been discussed before, but your Subway Project was one of the first things I noticed when I first discovered S-A a couple of months ago. (My first ever subway experience was when I visited Germany ten years ago and I got all giddy with excitement when I realised that it was exactly like what I'd seen in the movies. :) )

I'm wondering if you could give us all a bit of a run-down on this project, e.g. how you got started, your motivations, who you're going to present the final version to, what sort of work you've put into it, etc, etc.

I know it's all a bit pie-in-the-sky, but I can't help getting all excited when I think about Adelaide having a subway tunnel one day.

Thanks.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

I'll be writing down all those points as soon as I can. Unfortunately, Uni is slowing down progress, but I promise you all won't be disappointed in the end when I finish. I've added an extra line now as well, a U8 Service: Port Adelaide-Arndale-City-Goodwood Road-Flinders Interchange-Marion Shopping Centre.

While it is very much pie-in-the-sky (In fact, I estimate the final cost, including rolling stock, to be $5-8b), I will present my idea to The Advertiser and, if possible, to the DTEI. Not that any of that will happen :lol:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Hey, keep it up Norman, there's some good work going there regardless of whether people think it's pie-in-the-sky or not. It gets people thinking, differently and creatively, that's what counts in this part of the forum.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:06 pm

finished it yet Norman?? lol....

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#6 Post by adam73837 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Keep up the Good Work Norman! :D We need someone to present something that it is 'outside the small boundaries'.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 pm

AG wrote:Hey, keep it up Norman, there's some good work going there regardless of whether people think it's pie-in-the-sky or not. It gets people thinking, differently and creatively, that's what counts in this part of the forum.
Thanks AG! :D
jimmy_2486 wrote:finished it yet Norman?? lol....
Haha, not long now :lol:
adam73837 wrote:Keep up the Good Work Norman! :D We need someone to present something that it is 'outside the small boundaries'.
I sure will.

I'll be making a small preview of it available later tonight you you people can try it out.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm

OK, here you go folks. Unfortunately it's not very extensive yet, only Routes 100-135 can be searched for and only some of the files are available. I have finished many more of the files, but am yet to add them to the Database.

http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site

Enjoy!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 am

Those wanting the simple map I posted before, here is an updated version: http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site/routes/map_20.jpg

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:01 am

i wonder if there will be major changes to bus routes in the Marion area once Oaklands Interchange is open. I'm assuming all buses from Seacombe Gardens, Seaview Downs whatever will go via Marion shops to the station and interchange to trains to town. I'll have a look at you've done now, Norman

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:09 am

one suggestion is that the subway line from Main North rd, should have a station under O'Connell St, North Adl, and the line from North East rd should have a station under Melbourne St, North Adl, as these would be busy stations.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:26 am

Noted. Thanks for the feedback.

Reason I kept the stops out of North Adelaide is because they'd just complain anyway about the footpath being holy ground or something... I'll think about it though.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:31 am

I'm assuming that there'd also be a load of suburban buses filling in the gaps in the map?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:50 am

Oh yeah! Pretty much, the current trunk routes/Go Zones are being replaced by Subway, such as:

City-Airport Trunk (J1-J3)
The Parade (122-126)
Henley Beach Road (130-139)
Port Road/LeFevre Peninsula/West Lakes/AAMI Stadium (150-157)
Payneham/Lower North East Road (174-179)
Unley Road (190-199)
Goodwood Road (210-218)
Main North Road/Mawson Lakes (222-229)
Torrens Road/Arndale (230-233, 250-254)
North-East Road (271-273)
Glen Osmond Road (861)
Glenelg Tram
Tonsley Train
Noarlunga Train (Upper Part)
Outer Harbor Line
Marion-Flinders Trunk (Various)

The rest reamins intact, but with better connections and frequencies.

Also, trains are modified, Noarlunga and Gawler lines are now L1, Angaston to Aldinga, and O-Bahn and Belair lines are now L2, Belair to Greenwith

Also in the works:
- Possible movement of U2 to go via Grange Road/Crittenden Road
- Extension of L2 to go back south to Golden Grove Village
- New HX (Hills Express) lines and RX (Reynella Express) routes to serve trunk routes not able to be serived by rail, but still providing an adequate service.

Also, I know there is very little to play with right now with the Search function, but I will upload more stuff ths weekend.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Omicron » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Norman wrote:Those wanting the simple map I posted before, here is an updated version: http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site/routes/map_20.jpg
Adelaide looks so much nicer when it's all green.

[/irrelevant comment]