Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#16 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Version 21 of the map is finished and will be available from tonight. Changes include:
- New U2 alignment via Grange Road & Findon
- Minor modifications to W1 and W2 routes
- Extension of L2 from Greenwith back to Golden Grove Village

Also:
- From later tonight, routes 100 to 157 will be searchable

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#17 Post by adam73837 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Forgive me if I'm asking something that is completely obvious, but what is the difference between the Subway and the Train?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by AG » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 pm

adam73837 wrote:Forgive me if I'm asking something that is completely obvious, but what is the difference between the Subway and the Train?
Basically the difference between normal commuter rail services and subway/metro services lies in the frequency and patterns of services. Subway/metro lines are almost always completely grade separated and run independent of any other road traffic, and even other rail traffic such as freight trains. They are usually dedicated high capacity corridors with trains that run very frequently, often 2-3 minutes apart.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 pm

AG wrote:
adam73837 wrote:Forgive me if I'm asking something that is completely obvious, but what is the difference between the Subway and the Train?
Basically the difference between normal commuter rail services and subway/metro services lies in the frequency and patterns of services. Subway/metro lines are almost always completely grade separated and run independent of any other road traffic, and even other rail traffic such as freight trains. They are usually dedicated high capacity corridors with trains that run very frequently, often 2-3 minutes apart.
That's correct, but individually, in this example they are 10 mins apart.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Version 22 is now available!

Changes:
-U5 now follows Prospect Road instead of Main North Road. This is in line with higher demand on Prospect Road as well as commercial benefits. The line will continue to go to Mawson Interchange.
-U8 now travels on ground level from Arndale to near its Port Adelaide terminus to cut costs on unnecessary undergrounding.
-New North Adelaide stop on the fringe of the village
-Routes 100-182 are now searchable, with more being added over time.

Enjoy :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:31 am

Hey guys! Version 23 of the "MetroMap" is now available!

Improvements:
-Cleaner design, with Google Maps instead of Google Satellite as background (Makes the map much cleaner and easier to read, has to be seen to be believed)
-Routes conform better to their actual routes
-E1/E2 now terminate at Burnside Village
-N3 now replaces 540/F40
-Go Zone corridors are now included!

Get it now!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 am

It's fantastically comprehensive, Mr. Norman - I expect you've taken a very long time to complie this plan, and for that alone i must commend you.

To what extent would properties be disturbed for the construction of subway lines underneath? Are the tunnels generally far enough underground that road tunnel-esque construction could be applied - literally tunnelling underneath all buildings above, rather than cut and cover?

The U3 line would be a real asset during Clipsal and Festival time, too. Public transport to the eastern suburbs has traditionally been difficult, hasn't it.

It's also nice to see a Go Zone right near my house. 8)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Omicron wrote:It's fantastically comprehensive, Mr. Norman - I expect you've taken a very long time to complie this plan, and for that alone i must commend you.

To what extent would properties be disturbed for the construction of subway lines underneath? Are the tunnels generally far enough underground that road tunnel-esque construction could be applied - literally tunnelling underneath all buildings above, rather than cut and cover?

The U3 line would be a real asset during Clipsal and Festival time, too. Public transport to the eastern suburbs has traditionally been difficult, hasn't it.

It's also nice to see a Go Zone right near my house. 8)
Thanks Omi,
I've been working on this since about November last year, and am continually improving and changing it. While it is a lot of fun, it's also sometimes very hard to determine where people want to go and when they want to go.

As for construction, most of it would be cut and cover, which would (hopefully) minimize effects on properties, especially in historical areas like Goodwood, Unley and Prospect.

One of the challenges would be the link to West Lakes and AAMI Stadium. I planned for this to be underground, but I'm not sure if this is possible due to the apparent swampyness and low height above sealevel. I may revisit this later and do some solid research on this.

This plan is very doable. While costs would be around $8b for pretty much everything (from my calculations), nothing I set for this project is extremely hard. For example, I left Flinders Uni off the subway system because the hill is too steep and boring tunnels might be a bit dangerous. For this reason, a 642 shuttle would run every 10 minutes around the Flinders area to connect to U6 and U8 at Flinders Interchange.

Other things are a bit more extravagant, such as the L1 continuing to the Barossa. This doesn't have to be done, but it is however an idea.

In addition, where there is no subway, I try to increase services as much as I can, while keeping them viable at the same time. I travel the bus routes a lot around town, so I research a lot about where people go and how many of them go. Using that data, I can put more realistic frequencies to services across the city.

For any questions, do not hesitate to PM me :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Norman » Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 am

Just an update, I'm up to Route 225 now in the search scope :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Norman » Sun May 25, 2008 7:51 pm

A render I quickly drew up tonight. This is on Trimmer Parade.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Wayno » Sun May 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Norman wrote:A render I quickly drew up tonight. This is on Trimmer Parade.
looks like the guy on the bike is towing the platform along :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by Cruise » Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Wayno wrote:
He's a strong guy

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:09 pm

So, Norman, when does construction begin?

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Cruise wrote:
Wayno wrote:
He's a strong guy
and all those cars are pulling the tracks allong...

and your render brings back memories of living in Germany, sorta reminds me of my S-bahnhof

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by Norman » Sun May 25, 2008 10:15 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:So, Norman, when does construction begin?
Twenty Never :lol: