Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#31 Post by PhilH » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Nice job, Norman. A couple of things - your subway stop labelled as "Para Vista" might better be labelled as "Modbury West", because it falls within the Modbury suburb (according to my Gregory's street directory), is close to the Modbury West Junior and Primary Schools on Wright and Kelly Roads, and because Para Vista itself is a bit further west. Also, did you make your subway come above ground between Grand Junction and Wright Roads due the local topography? (For those who don't know, North East Road continues its uphill run - which actually starts at Gilles Plains Shops/Holden Hill Cop Shop - for a little bit after the Grand Junction Road intersection, before plunging fairly sharply downhill again just before Kelly Road).

One last thing which you might not be able to do anything about is the background map - the golf course near your Grand Junction Road stop is actually named the Valley View Par 3 Golf Course (and is listed as such in the White Pages), not the Holden Hill Golf Course. (The NER/GJR intersection is the meeting of four suburbs - Valley View (NW), Modbury (NE), Gilles Plains (SW) and Holden Hill (SE). The local Holden Hill Shopping Centre actually falls within the Modbury quadrant, but with Modbury Triangle, TTP and Valley View Shopping Centres not far away, Holden Hill was a sensible choice of name!)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm

PhilH wrote:Nice job, Norman. A couple of things - your subway stop labelled as "Para Vista" might better be labelled as "Modbury West", because it falls within the Modbury suburb (according to my Gregory's street directory), is close to the Modbury West Junior and Primary Schools on Wright and Kelly Roads, and because Para Vista itself is a bit further west. Also, did you make your subway come above ground between Grand Junction and Wright Roads due the local topography? (For those who don't know, North East Road continues its uphill run - which actually starts at Gilles Plains Shops/Holden Hill Cop Shop - for a little bit after the Grand Junction Road intersection, before plunging fairly sharply downhill again just before Kelly Road).

One last thing which you might not be able to do anything about is the background map - the golf course near your Grand Junction Road stop is actually named the Valley View Par 3 Golf Course (and is listed as such in the White Pages), not the Holden Hill Golf Course. (The NER/GJR intersection is the meeting of four suburbs - Valley View (NW), Modbury (NE), Gilles Plains (SW) and Holden Hill (SE). The local Holden Hill Shopping Centre actually falls within the Modbury quadrant, but with Modbury Triangle, TTP and Valley View Shopping Centres not far away, Holden Hill was a sensible choice of name!)
On the Stop Name issue... I will review this ASAP.

On the topography issue... That's an interesting point there, I do have to visit the area again because it's now been a few weeks and my memory is a bit hazy :P

And on the background map issue... you can blame Google Maps for that, they provide this map on their website, so unfortunately there is not much I can do about that.

Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming.

In current news, I am at the moment reviewing the J7 and 229 buses. I'm not too sure about how these routes are used at the moment, so I will have to spend a few days on researching them.

I am also doing some updates to the design, which can be seen on the newer maps which have the Map View rather than Sattelite View. Changes include making features more prominent and keeping close design-wise to the new route maps Adelaide Metro provides. While I haven't uploaded them all yet, I can tell you I made a few minor adjustments to a few routes.

Also, a new "Metro-Map" will be released soon, with some big changes for Golden Grove, Port Adelaide/North Haven/Largs and the inner south-western suburbs. I've also updated a few design features in that as well, making things easier to see and read.

Watch this space :lol:

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#33 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm sorry if this is also a bit obvious, but what are those red lines going along some roads? Sorry if these are also a bit obvious, but what are the green lines and yellow lines (by yellow, I mean the ones on the Port River Expressway).
BTW, when I asked what the difference between the Subway and Underground was, I was asking whether the Subway and Underground where trains or trams or buses, etc.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Ok, here I go :P

Dark Blue Lines = Light Rail Underground
Light Blue Lines = Light Rail Ground Level
Black Lines = Train Underground
Grey Lines = Train on Ground Level
U in blue box = Light Rail stop
L in black box = Train Station

Orange Lines = Northern and Southern Suburban Connectors (Bus)
Yellow Lines = Eastern Suburban Connectors (Bus)
Green Lines = Western Suburban Connectors (Bus)
(There are 10 Suburban Connectors, listed here: http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site/r ... orfreq.pdf)

Red Sriped Lines = Go Zones

Anything else you needed to know?

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#35 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Yes I do want to know a few things.
A) Where's the link to the satellite map that you have which shows all of Adelaide from the Barossa to Noarlunga
B) How much do you think it would cost if we were to build all of this.
C) Do you think that it would be approved by any government?
D) What would happen to the current railway station if you were to convert the railway underneath Currie and Grenfell? (I'm not criticising the idea, I think it's BRILLIANT) A possibility, would you move the interstate terminal to the current Adelaide Railway Station?
E) Would you consider extending the Belair Line into the hills or perhaps creating an alternative metro railway route to them.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm

adam73837 wrote:Yes I do want to know a few things.
A) Where's the link to the satellite map that you have which shows all of Adelaide from the Barossa to Noarlunga
B) How much do you think it would cost if we were to build all of this.
C) Do you think that it would be approved by any government?
D) What would happen to the current railway station if you were to convert the railway underneath Currie and Grenfell? (I'm not criticising the idea, I think it's BRILLIANT) A possibility, would you move the interstate terminal to the current Adelaide Railway Station?
E) Would you consider extending the Belair Line into the hills or perhaps creating an alternative metro railway route to them.
A) To keep the file size down, I reduced the map limits to Salisbury and Marino to the North and South. I will re-introduce a full train map after v24 is out (sometime next week), but zoomed out further to again keep the file size down.
B) To build... around $10-15b, although I'm no expert at this costing. However, this would include railcars and tunnel building.
C) If we had the money, then they would maybe consider it.
D) Adelaide Railway Station will become a new interstate passenger rail terminal. I will release more information about this later, but it will allow locomotives to turn around. Freight will remain at Islington/Dry Creek
E) No, the freeway is too steep for trains, and the Belair line is too indirect. A new and expanded hills bus service will be revealed later, with various expresses serving the major regions.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Pat28 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Norman, any new developments, its been ages since the last update :)
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 pm

I will probably finish the next version by tonight :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:33 am

New version (v24) is up now! Feedback is very welcome.

http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site

Changes in Version 24:
-Realigned U3 route to Newton
-L1 (South) now follows a more direct route towards Oaklands
-Re-aligned L2 (North) route to Golden Grove Village
-Realigned some Suburban Connectors
-More Train/Metro Interchanges, now at:
-Central
-Mawson Lakes
-Everard Park
-Oaklands
-Clapham
-Tea Tree Plaza
-Brighton

-Retained Oaklands Interchange function
-New Castle Plaza Park 'n' Ride
-New tunnel under Pulteny Street (New stops: Hurtle Square, Hindmarsh Square)
-Rundle Mall Stop & City Centre Station combined to form "Central"
-Added extra Ground Level sections to reduce costs
-Added more stations network-wide
-Changed station names that represent the area better
-Redesigned graphics to be more straight-forward.
-Re-drew routes to align better to actual road or corridor
-Changed Through-routes:
-U1: Glenelg to North Haven (U1P Shortworking to Port Adelaide)
-U1X: City to North Haven
-U2: Glen Osmond to Grange
-U3: Grange to Newton
-U4: Marion Shopping Centre to St. Agnes
-U5: Clapham to West Lakes
-U6: Flinders Interchange to Port Adelaide
-U7: Harbour Town to St. Agnes
-U8: Seacliff to Mawson Interchange

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by Pat28 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 am

It looking better each time, one day could we see a map without the Google layer - it would make it more unique. Keep it up though.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Norman wrote:New version (v24) is up now! Feedback is very welcome.

http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site

Changes in Version 24:
-Realigned U3 route to Newton
-L1 (South) now follows a more direct route towards Oaklands
-Re-aligned L2 (North) route to Golden Grove Village
-Realigned some Suburban Connectors
-More Train/Metro Interchanges, now at:
-Central
-Mawson Lakes
-Everard Park
-Oaklands
-Clapham
-Tea Tree Plaza
-Brighton

-Retained Oaklands Interchange function
-New Castle Plaza Park 'n' Ride
-New tunnel under Pulteny Street (New stops: Hurtle Square, Hindmarsh Square)
-Rundle Mall Stop & City Centre Station combined to form "Central"
-Added extra Ground Level sections to reduce costs
-Added more stations network-wide
-Changed station names that represent the area better
-Redesigned graphics to be more straight-forward.
-Re-drew routes to align better to actual road or corridor
-Changed Through-routes:
-U1: Glenelg to North Haven (U1P Shortworking to Port Adelaide)
-U1X: City to North Haven
-U2: Glen Osmond to Grange
-U3: Grange to Newton
-U4: Marion Shopping Centre to St. Agnes
-U5: Clapham to West Lakes
-U6: Flinders Interchange to Port Adelaide
-U7: Harbour Town to St. Agnes
-U8: Seacliff to Mawson Interchange

So when are you sending this to Conlon and when can construction start?

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Pat28 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Norman, small question are you keeping the current Adelaide Railway Station for interstate and country rail or are you going to abandon it and make it into a hotel?
We should keep it and return it to its old glory by first removing the Hyatt and the Riverside Centre and making a large concourse so it can be seen.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Pat28 wrote:It looking better each time, one day could we see a map without the Google layer - it would make it more unique. Keep it up though.
I'll try to fulfil that request. What kind of map are you after?
Pat28 wrote:Norman, small question are you keeping the current Adelaide Railway Station for interstate and country rail or are you going to abandon it and make it into a hotel?
We should keep it and return it to its old glory by first removing the Hyatt and the Riverside Centre and making a large concourse so it can be seen.
In this project, ARS would become the new Interstate Terminal. The Ghan, Overland and Indian Pacific will stop or terminate there, with the platforms rebuilt to allow shunting the power cars.

As for the rest of the building... I would leave that up to the other guys to decide :P

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by Pat28 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Mapwise, one without all the road underneath it and possibly something that emulates any transport map around, just to see what it looks like and it most probably keep the file size down.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Pat28 wrote:Mapwise, one without all the road underneath it and possibly something that emulates any transport map around, just to see what it looks like and it most probably keep the file size down.
I'll give it a go :)

In other news, I've added the complete train map as a seperate file. Check the site for details.

I've also added a contact form for private feedback.