Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Somebody
High Rise Poster!

Re: Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#61 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Yawn - why a normal admet route bus? It's not a part of metropolitan Adelaide - run something better than your normal route bus but with higher fares than a normal bus trip within the suburbs. If you had a smartcard system for Adelaide you could include it.

Why the bloody hell would anybody who has a choice catch a bus that only comes once every two hours (120 minutes)? You would have to plan your life around the bus timetable.

Could you make it more viable by diverting it via Mount Barker to pick up/set down pax going from Murray Bridge to/from there and also to provide extra express trips from there to the CBD?
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#62 Post by adam73837 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Just a few questions and/or suggestions:
A) Would you consider having a branch off of the Belair Line to go to Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley?
B) On L2/L3, do you think that it would be an idea to have a station at Walkerville, just near the place where the O-Bahn currently begins?
C) Rather than having L1 go underneath Fitzroy Terrace, Robe Terrace, Mann Road and Hackney Road, do you think it would be better to have it go underneath North Adelaide (with stations at O'Connel and Melbourne Streets) and then connect on to L2/L3 at the Botanic Gardens?
D) What do you think about having a branch off of U3 on the Parade at Shipsters Road to then go down Tusmore Avenue and then Devereux Road and subsequently the suburb of Beaumont?
E) What about bringing back the Penfield Train Line (that went to the DSTO site) and then extending it to Angle Vale?
F) How about extending the Adelaide Metro service along the current Adelaide-Perth/Darwin Railway Line as far as Virginia or Two Wells for future growth AND as a base point if we shift the airport up that way and we want a railway service to go there?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:04 pm

adam73837, are you related to Wilfy 2007 in any way, shape or form? ;)

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Jim » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 pm

I have always wondered why most buses in the eastern suburbs (and maybe else ware) go out and back on the same route. It would seem obvious instead of terminating they could go across to the next route and back into the city creating a loop. It’s often hard to get to the local library or supermarket with out catching two buses or going into the city and back.
Buses would say for example go out on Kensington and back along the Parade or out on the Parade back on Magill and so on, This system could be the norm out of rush hour times to give pensioners another option to get to there local services. Another variation could be a change of direction morning to afternoons.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Somebody wrote:Yawn - why a normal admet route bus? It's not a part of metropolitan Adelaide - run something better than your normal route bus but with higher fares than a normal bus trip within the suburbs. If you had a smartcard system for Adelaide you could include it.
That's exactly how I planned it, Strath, Victor Harbor and Murray Bridge will be in "Zone 2".
Somebody wrote:Why the bloody hell would anybody who has a choice catch a bus that only comes once every two hours (120 minutes)? You would have to plan your life around the bus timetable.
It seems to work now.
Somebody wrote:Could you make it more viable by diverting it via Mount Barker to pick up/set down pax going from Murray Bridge to/from there and also to provide extra express trips from there to the CBD?
I'm already working on that, the current plan is 3 or 4 months old.
adam73837 wrote:Just a few questions and/or suggestions:
A) Would you consider having a branch off of the Belair Line to go to Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley?
B) On L2/L3, do you think that it would be an idea to have a station at Walkerville, just near the place where the O-Bahn currently begins?
C) Rather than having L1 go underneath Fitzroy Terrace, Robe Terrace, Mann Road and Hackney Road, do you think it would be better to have it go underneath North Adelaide (with stations at O'Connel and Melbourne Streets) and then connect on to L2/L3 at the Botanic Gardens?
D) What do you think about having a branch off of U3 on the Parade at Shipsters Road to then go down Tusmore Avenue and then Devereux Road and subsequently the suburb of Beaumont?
E) What about bringing back the Penfield Train Line (that went to the DSTO site) and then extending it to Angle Vale?
F) How about extending the Adelaide Metro service along the current Adelaide-Perth/Darwin Railway Line as far as Virginia or Two Wells for future growth AND as a base point if we shift the airport up that way and we want a railway service to go there?
A) No. I've alrerady explained about gradients.
B) I'll look into it. There's not a lot of housing out there though to make it worthwhile.
C) I'm trying to minimize demolition of houses or going too much under houses, especially North Adelaide. I'm also trying to minimize stations, especially close to the city, to keep trains running at faster speeds.
D) I'm not sure what the demand is out there. I'll look into it. However, there's not a lot of demand out there if you go from the timetable.
E) I've already ruled that out. There is little to no demand out there. However, I am looking into a bus route to service Angle Vale and Two Wells in conjunction with an improved 900 route.
F) I doubt an airport will go ahead there. Plus I haven't heard anything about housing in that area, but an improved bus service will service the area. Extending the train line will always be an option though if demand does arise.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:35 pm

I've had a few ideas, just wanted to know what you guys think of them:
-New U9: Glen Osmond to Mansfield Park via Beaumont, The Parade, City and Arndale
-New U10: Grange to Ingle Farm via Grange Road, City, North-East Road, Northgate and Yatla TOD
-U7 (West) redirected via West Beach (also allows the Metro to run above ground due to low land level)
-U7 (West) to be extended to Glenelg or even Marion Shopping Centre (via Glenelg North and Diagonal Road)
-U7 (East) extended to Fairview Park
-U2 (West) redirected to West Lakes after Seaton along Frederick Road

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Norman wrote:It seems to work now.
The only people who will catch a bus that comes once every two hours are people who have no other form of transport - ie no car, can't afford to drive, underage, couldn't get a lift from someone else, pensioners/seniors, Centrelink recipients, etc.

If you don't provide an attractive service, the only people who use it will be people who don't have any other way to get there.

Go look at the people using say an Outer Harbour train on a weekend (60min frequency) - endless ferals on that the last time I caught it. Why would you take a slow little 1-car train with an inflexible timetable if you didn't have to?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Somebody wrote:
Norman wrote:It seems to work now.
The only people who will catch a bus that comes once every two hours are people who have no other form of transport - ie no car, can't afford to drive, underage, couldn't get a lift from someone else, pensioners/seniors, Centrelink recipients, etc.

If you don't provide an attractive service, the only people who use it will be people who don't have any other way to get there.

Go look at the people using say an Outer Harbour train on a weekend (60min frequency) - endless ferals on that the last time I caught it. Why would you take a slow little 1-car train with an inflexible timetable if you didn't have to?
Would an hourly service from Murray Bridge to Mount Barker connecting with the HX2 be a good compromise (HX3 staying in peak)? The service would go through local areas as well if needed be.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Pat28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Norman wrote:I've had a few ideas, just wanted to know what you guys think of them:
-New U9: Glen Osmond to Mansfield Park via Beaumont, The Parade, City and Arndale
-New U10: Grange to Ingle Farm via Grange Road, City, North-East Road, Northgate and Yatla TOD
-U7 (West) redirected via West Beach (also allows the Metro to run above ground due to low land level)
-U7 (West) to be extended to Glenelg or even Marion Shopping Centre (via Glenelg North and Diagonal Road)
Approved by me, (guess who flogged my Mansfield Park line? :P )
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Pat28 wrote:
Norman wrote:I've had a few ideas, just wanted to know what you guys think of them:
Approved by me, (guess who flogged my Mansfield Park line? :P )
Oops, I actually only put that in because of the gap in the area, and because I know Hanson Road PT (254) is well-used.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 am

I've uploaded a draft of the next version :)

http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site/r ... 5draft.jpg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:50 am

I've drawn up a quick map of what Grange South stop could look like.

What it looks like right now:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-34. ... 3&t=h&z=19

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Pat28 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 pm

U11 seems to be a new one, where would this new U11 go from Grange South
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:36 am

Pat28 wrote:U11 seems to be a new one, where would this new U11 go from Grange South
You'll see :P

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:00 pm

OK, the latest and (hopefully) the final version (Version 25) of this vision. Metromap is below, but first here are the changes:
NEW U9
-Harbour Town-Adelaide Airport-City-Norwood-Beaumont
-Runs above ground from Harbour Town to City due to to a high flood risk in the Airport vicinity

NEW U10
-Grange South-Findon-City-North Adelaide-Broadview-Northgate-Yatla TOD-Ingle Farm-Mawson Lakes
-Uses the well-used Grange Road corridor and a Perth-style "middle of the road" approach to the (proposed) Walkleys Road extension, as well as a future Yatla TOD

Other routes:
U1: No Changes
U2: Now to West Lakes via Tapleys Hill Road due to further research into passenger movements
U3: Now to Grange South to meet with the new U10 via Grange Road. Also now travels at ground level along The Parade to add character to the shopping strip. Traffic changes will encourage cars to take another route.
U4: No Changes
U5: No Changes
U6: No Changes
U7: Now travels under the Bowden/Clipsal TOD for fast and direct service to the City. Also now travels to Mansfield Park and Ottoway in the West and Golden Grove via Fairview Park in the East.
U8: No Changes

Other changes:
-Removed Cross-suburban connectors to provide a clearer map.

View the map:
http://www.subway.galoresoftware.net/si ... /map25.jpg

And remember: Feedback is very welcome. The only thing I would really change is making U4 go down Marion Road, but apart from that, this pretty much fulfils all of Adelaide's transport needs.