Vision: Revolution Tower / 158.6m / 174.6m / 43 F

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Vision: Revolution Tower / 158.6m / 174.6m / 43 F

#1 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Named Revolution, as a spin-off to Evolution (Darwins new tallest building) and a name which conceptualises change for the city, eg: further taller towers to enhance the Adelaide city skyline.

Located on Pirie St, this 43 floor office tower would rise 150m to roof, 158.6m to plantroom and 174.6m to the tip of the two spires. It would be compromised of mainly reflective glass cladding akin to Trump International Tower, Chicago and extensively textured concrete panels which run down the side of the tower's two core boxes on its eastern and western walls. The roof feature and spires are modelled with classic Art-Deco inspired formations.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

Re: Vision: Revolution Tower / 158.6m / 174.6m / 43 F

#2 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm

classic design and would be dominative on our skyline that's for sure. however, very typical, i can name three other towers around Australia that look stikingly similar (two in melbourne and one in perth)... perhaps need to be more articulated in design, with breaks as elevation of tower increases. also, something which makes this tower unique to Adelaide, punctuating the skyline of our city with a truly unique signature which everyone can identify as "truly Adelaide"... this could be done through the design of the roof or the spire and through lighting... for eg. a spire resembling a screw from a bottle opener... how unique would that be.. (although yeah, our wine industry might not be around forever, but it will mark a legacy in our history). for e.g. the crysller building in new york, similar art deco style - but far more personal if you ask me in desgin; was built to resemble the hubs of motorvehicles from chrysler back in the day... the car industry has since changed dramatically, but the history is forever embedded in manhattan's incredible skyline.

not too bad for design though... let's work from that though, i think you can improve it! :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision: Revolution Tower / 158.6m / 174.6m / 43 F

#3 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 pm

It looks good. My only gripe is how the building address the street, or doesn't. You'll notice many buildings sit on a podium so they can take full advantage of their street frontage. This allows for tenancies that add life to the street. (I also wish more city buildings had awnings or balconies, as long as they're not used as an excuse to thrust advertising into the street)

140 North Terrace is an example of good street frontage:

That's one thing that annoys me about Canberra - many of the buildings have a horrible street presence at ground level, with blank walls or setbacks away from the footpath.