Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#286 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Have you seen the new SA Brilliant Blend advert on TV? presumably it's being shown around the country - i like it! much classier than previous adverts, and focused on younger professional types too! Maybe the recent exec changes at SA Tourism are taking effect?
sa-advert.JPG
sa-advert.JPG (18.33 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
Video available on http://www.southaustralia.com/ home page.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#287 Post by Will » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Yeah, I saaw it on SBS a couple of nights ago.

It is much better than any other SA Tourism ad that i have ever seen, however the only criticism that i can make is that I would prefer that we were not just linked to wine.

Instead I would prefer that they focussed on the entire gourmet experience. because I can quite confidently say that on my travels around Australia I have yet to find a place that can match us for the quality, price and accessibility of our local produce.

bulldog13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#288 Post by bulldog13 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm

FYI - I live in Canberra and I haven't seen the ad yet!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#289 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm

I approve.

Although it does portray us as a load of pisspots... I still approve. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#290 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Milan Luka wrote:For my South Australian friends, your tourism board has started flooding NZ media with a new series of television and print ads. You might be interested to see how you are being promoted.

Those featured are everyday Kiwis talking about their experiences there. Apparently those featured got a free return flight to ADL. I think it works but strange that they did not use any stock tourist footage. Also you can tell the demographic they are going for!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0eVXQ91qRoA&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0eVXQ91qRoA&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PhM--5MhD0s&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PhM--5MhD0s&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 890&page=6

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#291 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Will, in response the focus of the advert is meant to be the Cellar Door - hence the wine focus. Your point about including more culination (is that a word? My defn: to focus on culinary delights) is valid. Food goes hand-in-hand with wine.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#292 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Wayno wrote:...Food goes hand-in-hand with wine.
Will you guys quit it! I'm trying to save money.

:droooool:

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#293 Post by Prince George » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh, is this a tourism campaign? I thought that we were talking about promoting SA as a place to live (in this thread).

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#294 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 am

Love the ad, but I agree with Will and Wayno that there needs to also be some focus on the whole gourmet experience.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#295 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Prince George wrote:Oh, is this a tourism campaign? I thought that we were talking about promoting SA as a place to live (in this thread).
yeah, this thread sort of oscillates between tourism and migration. I suppose they feed off each other...

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#296 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I think Adelaide almost has it all. The one thing we're missing is FUN things for people to do in their leisure time.

It really is about time the government started thinking BIG in terms of tourist / recreation attractions like theme parks and holiday resorts.

You can have the best advertising in the world, but if there's nothing for them to do, the tourists will go elsewhere, and so will some of the people looking for an exciting place to live!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#297 Post by Will » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:08 pm

pushbutton wrote:I think Adelaide almost has it all. The one thing we're missing is FUN things for people to do in their leisure time.

It really is about time the government started thinking BIG in terms of tourist / recreation attractions like theme parks and holiday resorts.

You can have the best advertising in the world, but if there's nothing for them to do, the tourists will go elsewhere, and so will some of the people looking for an exciting place to live!
people migrate interstate and overseas not because there are fun theme parks there but mainly for job opportunities. Indeed, the majority of the people I know who have moved interstate have moved to Canberra and Perth. Not because, those places are fun, but because that is where the jobs are in the field that those people work in.

I would rather, the state government invest its money expanding and diversifying our economy, instead of building some tacky theme park, which you would get bored with after the novelty wears off, and which would be abandoned for half the year when its raining.

And the idea that there is nothing to do here is simply crap.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#298 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Will wrote:And the idea that there is nothing to do here is simply crap.
^^^THIS! With knobs and hundreds and thousands on. This idea that there's nothing to do seems to be a common theme in all cities. I think it's a part of the perceived isolation that urban sprawl brings.

There's loads of things to do in Adelaide, and if more people actually left their lounge rooms and WENT AND PARTICIPATED in what we do have then there'd be more demand and more opportunities for private business to invest in new entertainment enterprises.

Note the point in bold, it's private business who builds "theme parks", not governments. The government can advertise and encourage all they like, but if the Return on Investment (RoI) is not there then not many investors will take the gamble.

We've already seen an increase in people going out and making use of the entertainment industry in the past few years. We'll probably see more of this trend as our population increases.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#299 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:54 pm

I agree that the government should not be responsible for building tourist attrations but I probably sounded like I thought they should in my last post, so I'll just clarify what I meant.

The governments role in encouraging tourism to the state should be partly to promote it through properly targeted, high quality advertising (and it looks like they are doing that quite well), but also partly to encourage and facilitate private investors and big companies that could actually build and operate the attractions. That part I don't think SA has done at all well in the past, and the way that big projects take so long to get off the ground in SA must be a major drawback for anyone seriously thinking of investing big money in SA tourism.

On a very positive note, after many many years of embarrassing procrastination, we do at least now have a very good airport and for any interstate or overseas visitors that is likely to be their first impression of the state, so it's a big move in the right direction.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#300 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm sure it's been said by myself and others, but there's three things we need to attract people to SA.

Jobs, jobs and jobs.

Everything else follows that.