Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#61 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am

crawf wrote:When you think about it us South Aussies really take for granted the amount of restaurants, cafes, hotels, food, wine etc... we have on offer in Adelaide.

Really one the best things I love about Adelaide is the food and drinks - love the central market!
I would love to see them all around the central of the CBD, not off the central CBD such as Hutt St, Gouger St. We could also do more than just Rundle St, maybe more around KWS (CBD), Grenfell St, and Pirie St. These business are our only hope to bring more life to the CBD at night.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Edgar wrote:
Wayno wrote:
Anyone else have recent examples of interstate migration to SA?
My uncle. He migrated to Melbourne after basing in Kuala Lumpur for almost a decade (before that he was working in Sydney after he finished Uni), and recently moved to Adelaide because I was here. But decided that he may want to consider moving back to Melbourne because Adelaide lifestyle do not suit him.

A point to note that he is more a busy lifestyle kind of person, as evident in his previous settlements of places such as Sydney and Kuala Lumpur.

I, on the other hand, have a more relaxed nature. I hate to be able to only do one thing in a day because of long traveling time + congestion + inaccessibility. I like to be able to get from point to point easily and quickly, and Adelaide is the perfect location for me. I love the beach, I love the coffee (can hardly find nice coffee while I was in Melbourne - over here, you have nice coffee from Cibo in every corner).

What I don't like about Adelaide is the ridiculously slow allowable driving speed. I have received 2 tickets in 3 months. 60kmph zone @ 70kmph, 50kmph zone @ 60kmph. Our road links are pretty badly aligned to residential zones, making most roads and highway limited to 60kmph because houses and shops are so conveniently located just off the kerbs of these so called 'highway'.
Well I think our advertising is working really well seeing that our population is getting older. Our advertisements must be attracting more "relaxed" people, hence why we have a lesser nightlife as most like to have a few friends over for a bbq etc etc....

Not that its a bad thing, its good for the "relaxed" people. People who want a great pumping nightlife, and a huge paying job are living in the wrong place IMO.

But if u want a chilled life, with enough money to get by comftably, then Adelaide is the perfect destination.

Adelaide has the largest amounts of migrants wanting to settle down to have a relaxed lifestyle, so that should be our selling point. We shouldnt be trying to be making us look like something we arn't. We need to stop trying to be a big city when we obviously arnt, because it is why other cities laugh at us because we try to act like it, like the small dog syndrome.

Advertise our relaxed lifestyle and our cheap living, and the more older will come to settle down.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 am

jimmy_2486 wrote: Well I think our advertising is working really well seeing that our population is getting older. Our advertisements must be attracting more "relaxed" people, hence why we have a lesser nightlife as most like to have a few friends over for a bbq etc etc....

Not that its a bad thing, its good for the "relaxed" people. People who want a great pumping nightlife, and a huge paying job are living in the wrong place IMO.

But if u want a chilled life, with enough money to get by comftably, then Adelaide is the perfect destination.

Adelaide has the largest amounts of migrants wanting to settle down to have a relaxed lifestyle, so that should be our selling point. We shouldnt be trying to be making us look like something we arn't. We need to stop trying to be a big city when we obviously arnt, because it is why other cities laugh at us because we try to act like it, like the small dog syndrome.

Advertise our relaxed lifestyle and our cheap living, and the more older will come to settle down.
And then we are subject to being termed 'Backwater' as a result of this. And we don't like it. There should be a balance, we have the coasts and the hills for 'those' group of people, and we must revamp our city (CBD) for the younger generation people. It's always better to have both and one.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by AG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 am

The problem with promoting the city for older people is that the elderly population in general have little contribution to the growth of the economy compared to the younger generations. Fewer workers supporting more people is a recipe for disaster, and this is an issue we are already facing with a skilled-worker shortage and an aging population.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:50 am

AG wrote:The problem with promoting the city for older people is that the elderly population in general have little contribution to the growth of the economy compared to the younger generations. Fewer workers supporting more people is a recipe for disaster, and this is an issue we are already facing with a skilled-worker shortage and an aging population.
Exactly. Well said.
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Will » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:55 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Edgar wrote:
Wayno wrote:
Anyone else have recent examples of interstate migration to SA?
My uncle. He migrated to Melbourne after basing in Kuala Lumpur for almost a decade (before that he was working in Sydney after he finished Uni), and recently moved to Adelaide because I was here. But decided that he may want to consider moving back to Melbourne because Adelaide lifestyle do not suit him.

A point to note that he is more a busy lifestyle kind of person, as evident in his previous settlements of places such as Sydney and Kuala Lumpur.

I, on the other hand, have a more relaxed nature. I hate to be able to only do one thing in a day because of long traveling time + congestion + inaccessibility. I like to be able to get from point to point easily and quickly, and Adelaide is the perfect location for me. I love the beach, I love the coffee (can hardly find nice coffee while I was in Melbourne - over here, you have nice coffee from Cibo in every corner).

What I don't like about Adelaide is the ridiculously slow allowable driving speed. I have received 2 tickets in 3 months. 60kmph zone @ 70kmph, 50kmph zone @ 60kmph. Our road links are pretty badly aligned to residential zones, making most roads and highway limited to 60kmph because houses and shops are so conveniently located just off the kerbs of these so called 'highway'.
Well I think our advertising is working really well seeing that our population is getting older. Our advertisements must be attracting more "relaxed" people, hence why we have a lesser nightlife as most like to have a few friends over for a bbq etc etc....

Jimmy, just because someone is young it does not mean that they require a pumping lifestyle 24 hours a day. There are bound to be millions of young people around the world for whom our smaller nightlife would not be a problem.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 am

AG wrote:The problem with promoting the city for older people is that the elderly population in general have little contribution to the growth of the economy compared to the younger generations. Fewer workers supporting more people is a recipe for disaster, and this is an issue we are already facing with a skilled-worker shortage and an aging population.
Lol, good call AG. I think we have to make clear that we need 'good quality' migrants that serves the purpose of contributing to the economy, not just bring anyone in that would contribute to longer waiting list in hospitals and blowing health care. :lol:

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by Brando » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 pm

We seem to be doing well at Phase 1, attracting 'older' people and their families, now phase 2 needs to be worked on. Retaining those children here in this state for our future. What good does it do if we're stuck with the 'oldies' and the young continue to jump ship?

The tide is changing, no doubt, but more needs to be done to 'dress up' the city at night. The ACC should offer incentives to business owners and shopkeepers to clean up and light up shops at night. It will give a greater impression of the city being alive and safer too. Fairy lights in trees, i know in light of greenhouse emisions etc, but surely so much more can be done with solar energy.
More money to be allocated to public art that can be enjoyed and a spectacle at night, different and unique.
I have said it before but KWS should be the spine of Adelaide and should be one of the most alive streets at night. KWS just about links every main area we have;
Hindley St
Rundle Mall and St
Waymouth St (ever improving)
Gouger St
Continue to improve Angas St to link Hutt St

The increasing building activity of King William south is great, but it will be no good after 5pm. Sure there will be ground level shops but what time will they close too? The ACC needs to encourage big open shops and offer incentives to stay open longer, increase outdoor dining, ACC should buy shopfronts and offer free 5 year lease to most exciting business & shop design. Get people thinking outside the square. Remember the Sanity shop on the corner of Rundle Mall & Pultney St???? That shop was awesome because it was open and looked vibrant. Imagine if it was still there now with the impending 'Rundle Convergence'.

What i'm trying to get at is think 'Big city, Bright lights'. When the older go home to rest, the younger will come out to play. Word of mouth will spread that Adelaide is an awesome happening city to go for the weekend. Little things like my suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg, but they do all add up.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Here's some scary graphs about why we shouldn't be attracting older people. They basically speak for themselves.

These are national projections, if current trends and policies continue.
Projected population composition:

Projected costs to government:

Projected federal budget position:

Federal Treasury, Intergenerational Report 2007
http://www.treasury.gov.au/igr/IGR2007.asp

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#70 Post by TooFar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 am

People go where the good jobs are. You can go on about lifestyle all you want, but unless there are great, high paying jobs on offer, there will be limited migration. Young, educated ambitious people leave Adelaide every day for this very reason.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 am

This is what I am talking about toofar also.

We can harp on about our laid back lifestyle all we want, but the majority of people we will attract are people wanting to put their feet up and enjoy a relaxed lifestyle.

I too hear a lot of peoples stories how they come to Adelaide from Sydney, however they dont come here for a better job, or more money. They come here because they want to start living the Adelaide lifestyle.... ie put their feet up and relax.

The people who leave Adelaide to Sydney do it for the better job, better pay, and to accomplish something big in life etc.

We can crap on how good claire valley is and the barossa is on our SA great ads but this wont keep young people leaving the state, it will just bring in more "looking to retire" people. Some young people like this stuff but id say the majority are the people ive mentioned.

We should wait for the mining boom to be a success before we bother trying to attract yonger people to the state. This state accomodates the laid back people more.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by Brando » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:

We should wait for the mining boom to be a success before we bother trying to attract yonger people to the state. This state accomodates the laid back people more.
What is the good in waiting when we don't have the young to fill those jobs!
Adelaide needs to make things happen rather than make sure the all chips are in order. Jimmy i know what you mean about attracting more people to out laid back lifestyle. I think we do promote this too much.If we are serious in trying to attract more younger people, they really don't have a high priority as to what SA can offer on the laid back and natural wonders. They want excitment. The last thing we need is to get these people here and have them tell friends and families back home that 'Adelaide is so boring'. We hear that now so lets make the excitment happen.

Toofar, i moved to Melbourne for a more exciting lifestyle and not because of jobs or money. I wanted to feel a part of a progressive city. This was back in 97-98, right when Southbank was really taking off. It felt awesome. I came home because of family and i missed Adelaide. I always missed home. So by targeting ex-pats and families is a start, now keeps those young in the families here is the next hurdle. Or it's made it worse because Mum and Dad's will stay and add to our aged care woes.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 am

Dont worry brando, once there is huge demand for engineers in SA with no one to fill the places, the pays will skyrocket (they pretty much already are for mining engineering with pays of like 150+ gran a year in SA http://mycareer.com.au/jobseeker/search ... c=571&sf=6) and then the youngins will come. Then you should see some major change in Adelaide.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#74 Post by adam73837 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:35 am

How about attracting more International Airlines to set up their hubs in Adelaide? Adelaide is sort 'central' to the rest of the major cities in the country and if QANTAS, JetStar or Virgin Blue organise flights to/from those cities to/from Adelaide to connect with the International airlines' flights, people will begin to discover Adelaide a bit more.
Just a suggestion, probably won't happen though.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Will » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:45 am

Brando wrote:We seem to be doing well at Phase 1, attracting 'older' people and their families, now phase 2 needs to be worked on. Retaining those children here in this state for our future. What good does it do if we're stuck with the 'oldies' and the young continue to jump ship?

The tide is changing, no doubt, but more needs to be done to 'dress up' the city at night. The ACC should offer incentives to business owners and shopkeepers to clean up and light up shops at night. It will give a greater impression of the city being alive and safer too. Fairy lights in trees, i know in light of greenhouse emisions etc, but surely so much more can be done with solar energy.
More money to be allocated to public art that can be enjoyed and a spectacle at night, different and unique.
I have said it before but KWS should be the spine of Adelaide and should be one of the most alive streets at night. KWS just about links every main area we have;
Hindley St
Rundle Mall and St
Waymouth St (ever improving)
Gouger St
Continue to improve Angas St to link Hutt St

The increasing building activity of King William south is great, but it will be no good after 5pm. Sure there will be ground level shops but what time will they close too? The ACC needs to encourage big open shops and offer incentives to stay open longer, increase outdoor dining, ACC should buy shopfronts and offer free 5 year lease to most exciting business & shop design. Get people thinking outside the square. Remember the Sanity shop on the corner of Rundle Mall & Pultney St???? That shop was awesome because it was open and looked vibrant. Imagine if it was still there now with the impending 'Rundle Convergence'.

What i'm trying to get at is think 'Big city, Bright lights'. When the older go home to rest, the younger will come out to play. Word of mouth will spread that Adelaide is an awesome happening city to go for the weekend. Little things like my suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg, but they do all add up.

Although some may dismiss installing more lights in the city as a waste of money, I beg to differ. I completely agree with your vision. At night there are parts of Adelaide which look like a post-apocalyptic waste zone. If the ACC is serious about attracting more people into the city at night they should immediately install more lights to make people feel safe walking the streets.