Light Rail Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
urban
Legendary Member!

Re: Further Tramline Extension To North Adelaide

#16 Post by urban » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:27 pm

For me Shuz's suggestion of a tram extension to Grand Junction Rd is the next logical step. The beginning of Prospect Rd has a very urban feel to it that would only be enhanced by the addition of a tram. The 2nd half of Prospect Rd has a high number of housing trust and affordable homes whose occupants are often heavily reliant on PT.

urban
Legendary Member!

Re: Airport-Magill TramLink

#17 Post by urban » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:35 pm

Love the Prospect Rd idea.

ACC & State Govt have both expressed a preference for encouraging E/W traffic not stopping in the city to travel around the city on ring routes so running a tram up Wakefield/Grote could form part of that plan. The State Govt have also already got plans for returning the Nth Tce tram to Vic Sq via Grote.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Shuz wrote:Okay, heres another one I did. This time for City-Prospect.
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9804/prospectze4.jpg
You can do it yourself, just edit the subject in the first post :wink:

BTW the link in the first post isn't working for me

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:39 am

Shuz wrote:Okay, heres another one I did. This time for City-Prospect.
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9804/prospectze4.jpg
This is a good idea it should extend to Mawson lakes from Grand Junction road and some how be incorporated with an underpass at Gepps cross. That would look cool.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:48 am

Will wrote:
AtD wrote:A Currie/Grenfell route would be best, IMO.
Yes, I agree that is the best route, as it would allow the tram to get to the airport via Henley beach Road. Sending the trams down Henley Beach Road is better IMO because it would stimulate the nascent cafe scene at Henley Beach Road, whilst also providing tourists with a better first impression of Adelaide. I personally think that Sir Donald Bradman Boulevard is a little too quiet and industrial looking.

However, the idea of a fast tram link between the city and the airport is a marvellous idea!
A tram would be fine on either (Airport Road) Henley Beach Road or Sir Donald Bradman Drive to the city, but if you want a fast link you need a different corridor. I suggested elsewhere on this forum the Keswick & Brownhill Creeks canal from South Road to the Airport. The light rail could run up the South Road connector to the Mile End railway station (then onto Adelaide Station). There are other options to the city including going underground.

shuz, the tram up to Magill would be best if it ran along Penfold Road from The Parade.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Great idea for prospect. How about you make it go all the way to Mawson Lakes somehow?? This will ensure it will have heaps of usage.

Another idea, to ensure these light rail ideas are "future proof", maybe we could "cut-n-cover" some of the roads to allow them to run underground like a metro. This idea will blow the country away!!!

If we cut-n-cover KWS, we would only need to cut the middle of the road, which would cause no more disruption than the tram line extension did!

However seeing that we just spent money on the extension.... would be a bit silly.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by AtD » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Great idea for prospect. How about you make it go all the way to Mawson Lakes somehow?? This will ensure it will have heaps of usage.
... But there's already heavy rail to Mawson Lakes.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Will409 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:09 pm

In Melbourne, a large number of tram route either parallel or run close to heavy rail lines. For instance, the Airport West tram line has a stop almost infront of Essendon Railway Station. A similar situation occures at Glenhuntly (where the tramline crosses the heavy rail lines at an at grade crossing). Because of the varying route between the two alternatives, people can and do transfer between them. The two locations I have mentioned are just a small sample of how many actually lcoations have a tram/rail interface.

Also, don't think that the distance from the City to Mawson Lakes is over the top because the Airport West tram (which was my main link to the CBD while I was in Melbourne) is about 17kms long. Mawson Lakes interchange by rail is 14.9kms. Route 59 isn't even the longest route either, that honour belongs to route 86 out to Bundoora RMIT which is around 27kms long.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by AG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:36 pm

AtD wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:Great idea for prospect. How about you make it go all the way to Mawson Lakes somehow?? This will ensure it will have heaps of usage.
... But there's already heavy rail to Mawson Lakes.
I think what jimmy is trying to get at is that it would allow for interchange between train and tram usage, but between nearby suburbs, not city commuters. For example, it could be used by train commuters trying to travel directly into the heart of Mawson Lakes or suburbs immediately south of it from Salisbury who would use the tram, also commuters might use the tram to get off at other nearby commercial districts along the route like Prospect Road. Ideal example is Box Hill in Melbourne, where tram route 109 serves the nearby suburbs while also forming the connection to the train lines to Belgrave and Lilydale, also route 72 at Camberwell is another.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Well IMO if we use a light rail service between city and mawson lakes that goes up prospect rd, you can get rid of most of the gawler line stops between ovingham and mawson lakes. These stops will become fairly unnecessary, and doing this will improve the speeds of the gawler line. Being HEAVY rail means it should not really stop so much in the inner suburbs, that should be done by bus/light rail service that runs from one major interchange (city) to another (mawson lakes).

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by AG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:47 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Well IMO if we use a light rail service between city and mawson lakes that goes up prospect rd, you can get rid of most of the gawler line stops between ovingham and mawson lakes. These stops will become fairly unnecessary, and doing this will improve the speeds of the gawler line. Being HEAVY rail means it should not really stop so much in the inner suburbs, that should be done by bus/light rail service that runs from one major interchange (city) to another (mawson lakes).
During the day many services on the Gawler Line are already running express from Adelaide to Dry Creek. The all stopper service to Dry Creek in the middle of the day is hourly. Dry Creek is the only spot for several kilometres where it is appropriate for a train to terminate (the next spot north being Salisbury). I don't think it will be neccessary to shut any of the current stations, particularly not Islington now that the nearby areas are marked for redevelopment. Most of those stations are still a fair distance from Prospect Road anyway.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 am

Redevelopment at Islington?????......

WOW....well the way things are going there...I guess once the prison moves, and more industry leaves kilburn area for residential (which is the way it should be in areas so close to the city), it will become the new place to be. If a tram service goes up prospect road, then it will become even better hehe.

I thought the development was only gonna be a nearby shopping center. It looks really dead there atm, and it seems that people living near churchill road could just walk to prospect road to the tram, hence why I thought to shut down those stations. However if west of churchill road is going to be developed then that is a different story!!

Anyways...back to the Airport Link!!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Churchill Road is not that close to Prospect Road, and it's quite a climb up as well.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#29 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 pm

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9995/cmpo1.jpg

And heres another, this time its City-Mitcham.

Admin/Mods: Can you please change thread title to Light Rail Visions.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Not bad, I like it.