Victoria Square Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#76 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 pm

That idea is just crazy, but I like it!

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:51 pm

I believe the first answer to the problem is reducing roadways and reclaiming land for the pedestrian. This is so important for the Victoria Square’s future success.

Now I would like you to put your imagination caps on, and imagine the following:

Banning cars all together along the north / south stretch of King William Street which runs through the square... yep, think along the lines of a reclaimed space for the people.

Now, these reclaimed routes will remain as permeable access ways for buses and trams only (with only exception for special / emergency service vehicles), but being reduced to half the width making room to line them with shops, cafes, restaurants, galleries, public facilities; thus making it a "shared space" for pedestrians to walk along, or catch a tram/bus along. The surface will be resurfaced and paved with cobblestone type material.

The benefit of this will be a car free environment infused with people and activity, while promoting public transporation. Safety will not be hindered as there will still be 'eyes on the street' from the shops, cafes, pedestrians, buses, and cops.

with the road reclamation, this presents the opportunity for the public space in front of Xaviers Cathedral to be converted into a European dining and seating area... many places in Italy, France and Greece have these vibrant and active public spaces (even at night time), adjacent to cathedrals and public buildings/monuments which are lit at night time creating an unmistakably European atmosphere. The benefit is that they will still have the Gouger Street access in close proximity, which will also be beneficial for the east west flow of traffic to be maintained.

Another idea is to create an underground museum (think the Louvre in Paris) with a symbolic (but not high) entrance of glass, in unusual and arty shapes.

Also activating street frontages with the public space where opportunities are - i.e. pedestrian connector between Hilton and Law Courts continuation through to the Square.

I think this idea would be great! Bring it back to basics AND REDUCE EXTENSIVELY OR ELIMINATE ALL TOGETHER THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:25 am

Hippodamus wrote:I believe the first answer to the problem is reducing roadways and reclaiming land for the pedestrian. This is so important for the Victoria Square’s future success.
I think this idea would be great! Bring it back to basics AND REDUCE EXTENSIVELY OR ELIMINATE ALL TOGETHER THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm totally with you, BUT the first concern in doing away with the iron beasts is that both KWS and Grote/Wakefield are major traffic arteries. So I've been trying to work out how to redirect those first. Then we might have a space we can Imagineer (to borrow from Disney).

The best option we've come up with so far is the one I posted a sketch of a while ago, http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 429#p28389

I've been messing about with actual measurements and alternative layouts, but haven't come up with a re-jig that I'm completely happy with as yet.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

loud
High Rise Poster!

#79 Post by loud » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:36 am

monotonehell wrote:
Hippodamus wrote:I believe the first answer to the problem is reducing roadways and reclaiming land for the pedestrian. This is so important for the Victoria Square’s future success.
I'm totally with you, BUT the first concern in doing away with the iron beasts is that both KWS and Grote/Wakefield are major traffic arteries. So I've been trying to work out how to redirect those first. Then we might have a space we can Imagineer (to borrow from Disney).

The best option we've come up with so far is the one I posted a sketch of a while ago, http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 429#p28389

I've been messing about with actual measurements and alternative layouts, but haven't come up with a re-jig that I'm completely happy with as yet.
I don't believe it is possible to redirect traffic away from the square. The biggest problem in my eyes is that Victoria Square is the first place that you can turn right at if you are travelling south from North Terrace along King William Street. Unless right turns along KW St are re-introduced (highly unlikely, unless hook turns are used, which is also highly unlikely), we will always have to use the square for traffic.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 am

loud wrote:I don't believe it is possible to redirect traffic away from the square. The biggest problem in my eyes is that Victoria Square is the first place that you can turn right at if you are travelling south from North Terrace along King William Street. Unless right turns along KW St are re-introduced (highly unlikely, unless hook turns are used, which is also highly unlikely), we will always have to use the square for traffic.
This is the kind of complaint that needs to be addressed in the CBD as a whole. It's true that most of the main arteries have no right turns, some not at all and others at peak periods. So we need to develop a traffic strategy (and a PT one to complement it) that avoids these problems. AND incorporates a Vic Square without traffic dominating it. Otherwise we may as well quarter it like Hindmarsh Square and give in.

(Oh and any experienced Adelaide driver knows that three lefts make a right ;) )

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#81 Post by rev » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Why not build an aquarium ?
Why does it have to be a "park"? We have so many parks, so many green open spaces, and they all look like complete shit. The CBD is surrounded by these shitty half dead parks.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#82 Post by Ho Really » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:26 pm

rev wrote:Why not build an aquarium ?
Why does it have to be a "park"? We have so many parks, so many green open spaces, and they all look like complete shit. The CBD is surrounded by these shitty half dead parks.
What sort of fish and water animals are you suggesting for the aquarium?

The parklands are another issue that could easily be solved by introducing stormwater to wetlands and underground storage.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 pm

rev wrote:Why not build an aquarium ?
whilst this is a good idea, i still feel as if Victoria Square should remain a public space.

why cant we have a piazza typed square rather than dead lawn and trees?
leafy european trees surrounding an expansive paved square with cafes, fountains and monuments. it would look fantastic!
similar to st mark's square in venice or even trafalgar square in london.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#84 Post by Shuz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Giorgio's photo here brought something to my attention.

With the tram line extension, KWS has been narrowed down to two lanes, with the third left-hand turning lane where required and enforcement of the no right-hand turn policy. I see absolutely no reason why the diamond effect needs to have 4 lanes of traffic each direction? Can't we simply follow through, using the western deviant to cut it down to two lanes on either side of the tram tracks, so to follow suit with the traffic management policy enforced along its northern apex, with the provision for a right hand turning lane both southbound and northbound onto Franklin/Flinders street. This will have a tidier and more manageable affect on traffic flows along KWS, also to Grote/Wakefield streets and the same principle should also be applied down the southern apex of KWS, reserving the tram corridor as a designated tram zone.

In all of this, we would have a much more open Victoria Square, where Reserve Bank and its cousin, and the Carnegie Mellon University all fronting directly onto a public space, free of cars. St Xavier's Cathedral's grassed space would be incorporated as part of a larger park, and SA Water would have a larger dominance over the space.

A pedestrian plaza, fitted out with cafes and the like, directly outside the Central Markets and SGIC buildings would act as the thoroughfare between the south and north, leaving a sizable portion to pedestrians, but still returning the rest of the space into a landscaped park. If Hindmarsh Square can be so desirable as it is, the best solution would be to follow its image, and improve accessibility where the amenities are.

Sometimes, asymmetry works better than symmetry and I think this would be a vision that works out for the better.

Xaragmata

#85 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:07 am

I came across the Brussels Atomium on a photo site - like a big molecule - which would look great in Vic square or any suitable space,
& could have viewing platforms & exhibition & event spaces, not be too dominating, & could straddle Grote street & include connections
to other pods. (Search atomium)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:50 am

Xaragmata wrote:I came across the Brussels Atomium on a photo site - like a big molecule - which would look great in Vic square or any suitable space,
& could have viewing platforms & exhibition & event spaces, not be too dominating, & could straddle Grote street & include connections
to other pods. (Search atomium)
Mesdames et Messieurs permettez-moi de présenter l'Atomium de la Belgique...

Built in 1958 as Brussels's answer the the Eiffel Tower, do we really want something so OLD FASHIONED in Adelaide? ;)
It's a crazy building. Something similar but uniquely Adelaidian could be interesting.

rhino

#87 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 am

I think that looks cool, but there's too much of it. Just one sphere, right over the centre of the square, and supported by four legs rising diagonally from somewhere near the corners of the square (but in a square, not a rectangle). Height, about the same as the Reserve Bank Building, maybe a little higher. Views down the 4 boulevards, but from those streets it would look suspended, not sitting on top of a plinth. I like the chrome too. Escalators up the diagonal "legs", and I like the occasional window on the way up too.

I've never heard of this building before, but when I get to Brussels I'm definately going to look for it.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 am

monotonehell wrote: It's a crazy building. Something similar but uniquely Adelaidian could be interesting.
Ahem, it's properly spelt Adelaidean...

:P
Keep Adelaide Weird

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:07 pm

SRW wrote:
monotonehell wrote: It's a crazy building. Something similar but uniquely Adelaidian could be interesting.
Ahem, it's properly spelt Adelaidean...

:P

I think Adelaidean is the name of the Universitys monthly publication.

There's no real consensus, much like Melbournian and Melburnian.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by ozisnowman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:18 pm

If anyone would like a copy of the old Victoria Square Plan that was
effectively shelved by Lord Mayor Harbison as his election campaign.
I have a copy of the KBR pdf report on the Victoria Square.

Let me know how i can send you a copy via email.

Cheers