#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#436 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:
Cruise wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:

Exactly, the weather is a factor!

But the Port thing shouldn't really make a difference because there should be more seats available for the 50,000 Crows supporters to squeeze in to.
You don't understand, Crows supporters are scared to go to a game where their supporters are not the majority.

Well I must be in the minority, because I didn't go today because I hate AAMI not because I was going to be outnumbered.

Your theory also is proven with the amount of Crows supporters who travel to Melb etc for away games *rolls eyes*.

Melbourne is completely different, crows supporters don't like going to the power home game because the higher the amount of supporters at a power home game means more money for Port.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#437 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:50 pm

ah that was just bloody brilliant. Ive got a smile from ear to ear.

I think most crows supporters would rather pay money to go to Melb, than pay to go to a showdown as the away team - wankers. Whoops did I say that. Anyway thats fine by me :mrgreen:

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#438 Post by thechap » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that just maybe crows supporters base their decision about whether to go to port home game showdowns on how likely they are to win. With the way the crows are playing at the moment, there is no way I would spend my hard earned money to waste three hours in pouring rain and freezing cold watching them lose. This is about the football, not the stadium or the the crowd numbers. The crows need to learn how to play with some bloody heart and desire. Neil Craig has drilled it all out of them. Sorry, getting a little of topic there...
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

loud
High Rise Poster!

#439 Post by loud » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 am

cruel_world00 wrote:Lowest Showdown attendance on record.

Today was a prime example of why AAMI is just not good enough. People do not even want to go to the premier footy fixture in our state (outside of finals). Doesn't this tell you something idiots at SANFL, AFL and Rann Headquarters.

I wait with baited breath for Australia to ever get a look-in at the World Cup and hope that SA gets overlooked as a venue just to stick it up these stubborn wankers.

/end rant.
Do you honestly think that if we had a stadium in the city, that we would have sell out games every single time?

Even if a stadium was built in the city and the crows and the power played to sell out attendances every single home round (which they wouldn't), is it really worth spending this much money on? Is this really what our city is defined by?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#440 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:44 am

You guys are talking like AFL is the only code we've got here, who knows what the dominant code could be in a few years... soccer? rugby?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#441 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:47 am

I can definetly see soccer pushing itself as a very large market in the next decade. It's success (with the help of Australia's performance in the World Cup) is only going to drive more and more people to games. Any new inner city stadium would more likely be a soccer one than a football one, however - I wouldn't put any bets on that - as long as Rann is in charge, expect more funds to be thrown into metropolitian venues, eg: Hindmarsh.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#442 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am

Shuz wrote:I can definetly see soccer pushing itself as a very large market in the next decade. It's success (with the help of Australia's performance in the World Cup) is only going to drive more and more people to games. Any new inner city stadium would more likely be a soccer one than a football one, however - I wouldn't put any bets on that - as long as Rann is in charge, expect more funds to be thrown into metropolitian venues, eg: Hindmarsh.
With more immigrants (who only know soccer as their football) and our successes on the field, soccer can only get bigger. I would love to see a new 45,000-50,000 seat rectangular stadium somewhere on the city periphery (North Terrace railyards, Mile End...), however, a revamped Hindmarsh wouldn't be too bad, but they would have to get the land south of the stadium that eluded them before. They may also need to underground part of Manton Street and close part of Holden Street (turning it into a cul-de-sac) and adding more parking (probably underground). A greenfields site would be best though.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#443 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 am

thechap wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that just maybe crows supporters base their decision about whether to go to port home game showdowns on how likely they are to win.
If it was all about chances of winning I don't think the two biggest drawing games would have been against Geelong and Hawthorn, the top two teams in the league. Certainly the chances of the Crows beating Geelong were very slim yet it was the biggest crowd of the season. This is historically the case. There are many reasons yesterday's game had a low crowd. The Crows chances of winning (which were, let's face it, pretty good compared to their previous two home games and their domination of Port over the last 4 years), were the least of the reasons.
With the way the crows are playing at the moment, there is no way I would spend my hard earned money to waste three hours in pouring rain and freezing cold watching them lose. This is about the football, not the stadium or the the crowd numbers. The crows need to learn how to play with some bloody heart and desire. Neil Craig has drilled it all out of them. Sorry, getting a little of topic there...
Rubbish, don't be so fickle. The Crows whole game is based on heart and desire. It's one of the very few advantages they have over opposition teams and far more often than not show more heart and desire than their opponents. Without it they'd be a bottom dweller. If you want to watch a team that gives their all there aren't many that put in more than the Crows, that's for sure.

Sure, question their skill level, but to question their heart shows complete of understanding.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#444 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am

loud wrote:Do you honestly think that if we had a stadium in the city, that we would have sell out games every single time?
I don't. I'm with you, crowds wouldn't be much different. Half hour delay television coverage is the major factor here. People can come up with all the theories they like such as stadium location, but it's all about TV.

I'm all for a city stadium, because I think it would invigorate the city, and it would be nice. But I'm not deluded into thinking it would make any difference to attendance figures.

And besides, a city stadium comes with its own pitfalls. Imagine the city after a Port game, it would be bogan central. It would, quite frankly, be an embarrassing image for our city. At least currently we can contain most of them to far end of Port Road.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#445 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 am

And I thought this site was supposed to be devoted to development...

Yawn...how boring. How about unrelated comments be posted in "The Pub"?

loud
High Rise Poster!

#446 Post by loud » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Dave_The_Planner wrote:And I thought this site was supposed to be devoted to development...

Yawn...how boring. How about unrelated comments be posted in "The Pub"?
???

What do you think this discussion is if it isn't about development?

Surely, by making comments like this, you are just adding to the "unrelated comments" you are complaining about!

I do feel that this is a development that really shouldn't happen in the short term. Perhaps in 10 years when our government is loaded with all the tax it is going to get from the mining etc, it can build this stadium. But right now, our money is much better spent on transport, infrastructure, health & education.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#447 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
loud wrote:Do you honestly think that if we had a stadium in the city, that we would have sell out games every single time?
I don't. I'm with you, crowds wouldn't be much different. Half hour delay television coverage is the major factor here. People can come up with all the theories they like such as stadium location, but it's all about TV.

I'm all for a city stadium, because I think it would invigorate the city, and it would be nice. But I'm not deluded into thinking it would make any difference to attendance figures.

And besides, a city stadium comes with its own pitfalls. Imagine the city after a Port game, it would be bogan central. It would, quite frankly, be an embarrassing image for our city. At least currently we can contain most of them to far end of Port Road.
To both your comments... Surely, an inner city stadium is only going to be more attractive than AAMI, so I think crowd numbers would only be stronger than they are now. I think the real winner if the stadium were built to hold a similar capacity, would be Port. I (and possibly many others) would be more inclined to hit up city based AFL every weekend if I didn't have to traipse out to West Lakes and I know a lot of people who also think the same.

If a stadium were built in the city, it would most definitely be made to accommodate more than AAMI and therefore the Crows would also be big winners because they could get more than their sell out crowds are getting now. Sure they don't fill the stadium every week, but that definitely has something to do with the members because usually general admission is sold out.

I honestly can not see any positive from AAMI besides the fact it is already built. Yes, that is a major factor, but if we want to be seen as a city with vision we have got to start thinking like one. If Adelaide were ever to bid for any kind of major event I would be embarrassed and ashamed to have AAMI used as any kind of venue; whether it be a World Cup Match or Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#448 Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:

oh i forgot, supporters from all the other AFL clubs all drive BMW's, enjoy going to the opera and like to discuss world politics over games of Backgammon.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#449 Post by JamesXander » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:58 pm

There is a number of reasons why the showdown has gone down hill. For one its become over exposed. two times a year we hear about ;the massive SHOWDOWN!, behold its glory!!!'. People are tired of it.

We need only 1 showdown a year, with segregated bays. This will help re create the atmosphere and rivalry. Put the showdown on a public holiday, or a time in which South Australians are in a festive mood. Maybe near the start of the season to conincide with mad March etc. Once a year showdown, god that means if 'X' loses then I'll have to put up a WHOLE year with 'Y' supporters all year in my ear. Make it a night game, make it huge! This will be ANZAC day times twenty.

But we also have to address the stadium, and also ports crowds. The stadium is a blight to this state. Not only is it a bad stadium, its also in a bad location. Todays generation dont want to drive for ages and then not be able to celebrate because there is no wehre to go after the game. The connection between Ports falling attendances over the years and the stadium cant be ignored. Port Adelaides AFL future is on the line here, as well as the strenght of the AFL. They have a break even point of 27,000 and are averaging way below that. And the AFL is going to lose out on fans who just cant be bothred going to the game but are enticed by the soccer life.

We need to plan for a stadium of the future, for a site, for the design. Then we need to sit back and start putting money away for it and start figuring out how much its going to cost and when we can afford it. This way we wont get a hack stadium thought up in 2 mins and financed with peanuts. It means we will have time on our side and also the comfort in our minds that AAMI stadium is only going to be around for an 'x' amount of years

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#450 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 pm

JamesXander wrote: We need to plan for a stadium of the future, for a site, for the design. Then we need to sit back and start putting money away for it and start figuring out how much its going to cost and when we can afford it. This way we wont get a hack stadium thought up in 2 mins and financed with peanuts. It means we will have time on our side and also the comfort in our minds that AAMI stadium is only going to be around for an 'x' amount of years

I'm not sure about your point of only having one showdown a year... I think it would be hard not having one port home and one crows home game. But that's not the main point. The part I agree with you about is what I just quoted.

If I knew that there were plans for a new stadium in 5-10 years etc and that AAMI was no longer our option for the future, I would get back on the AFL attending band wagon. I love supporting my team at the ground, but I will not pump money into AAMI and the SANFL when I know we deserve much better.