#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#241 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:57 am

have you guys seen this website ==> http://www.lightstadium.com/

Was this created by an existing S-A member? come on, tell us who you are so we can best help!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#242 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I wouldn't go as far as saying the SANFL have "come on board".
The article's extremely misleading in the way it's been written.

All the SANFL has said is that they'd consider the idea (providing they have complete control), and that their preferred option is to stick a few more band-aids on AAMI Stadium.

The most ridiculous scenario is to bulldoze AAMI and rebuild it in the same spot.
Haven't they learned their lesson? The major problem is not the stadium itself, but the location and lack of parking and public transport options.
And where do the Crows and Power play for the next 5 years while they're building it?

Knowing our luck, this is exactly what will happen.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#243 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Matt wrote: <snip>
The most ridiculous scenario is to bulldoze AAMI and rebuild it in the same spot.
And where do the Crows and Power play for the next 5 years while they're building it?
<snip>
Yep, agree rebuilt at west lakes would be silly.

We need to keep in mind this is "The Advertiser" and their style of journalism does not require facts to back up a good story. I buy the saturday Independent Weekly for balanced and informative reporting.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#244 Post by Cruise » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:31 pm

I think we are all forgetting about something, the Adelaide Crows. If the SANFL is going to sell off west lakes, where do they train? where are their administrative faclities? their gym? their members "Crows Shed"?

Adelaide wants to spend $14 million rebuilding their facilies at West Lakes, so where does that leave them?

BJMAC
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#245 Post by BJMAC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Is the North Adelaide Golf Course, on the other side of the Torrens an option for a stadium?

Trains go right by it for a rail connection/station, it would be amongst the Adelaide Oval/Memorial Dr Sports area too.

And a new road to it from the Barracks... meeting up with Memorial Dr could be laid to border it so Taxis/buses & general traffic going back into the city would be smoother

If it were here business in both the CBD and also Nth Adelaide would benefit and if they are going to put that foot bridge across the Torrens, it would be another corridor to the stadium.

.............And just for fun...... add a precinct like the one in Azerbaijan on the rail yards opposite the stadium... :mrgreen:

Not sure if it would work, just a different spot I hadnt thought of until I saw it on the "New Light Stadium" website. Do you guys think it would work here?

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#246 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:22 pm

It was only a few days ago that Steven Trigg (Crows CEO) was saying that depending on SANFL advice are thinking of putting their plans on hold for 2 or 3 years to see if anything eventuates.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#247 Post by Cruise » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:It was only a few days ago that Steven Trigg (Crows CEO) was saying that depending on SANFL advice are thinking of putting their plans on hold for 2 or 3 years to see if anything eventuates.
but IF Football park is moved where would they go? the current proposed sites for a new stadium have absolutely no room for their training facilities. Maybe they could move to Norwood or Glenelg oval?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#248 Post by rev » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Cruise wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:It was only a few days ago that Steven Trigg (Crows CEO) was saying that depending on SANFL advice are thinking of putting their plans on hold for 2 or 3 years to see if anything eventuates.
but IF Football park is moved where would they go? the current proposed sites for a new stadium have absolutely no room for their training facilities. Maybe they could move to Norwood or Glenelg oval?
They could still use AAMI stadium, while a new stadium is being built in the city.
If a new multi-purpose stadium does goes ahead in the city, with SANFL backing, AAMI will be used right up until the new stadium is opened. No other way around it, Adelaide Oval certainly isn't up to scratch for AFL..or is it?

Anyhow if the SANFL gets on board, I think there's a good chance of something happening. It would be far easier to sell the merits of a multi-use stadium then a sole(football) use stadium.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#249 Post by AG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm

I also believe that a multi-purpose stadium would bring the greatest benefits than one or a few several one-purpose built stadiums. It would be more efficient space wise and the stadium would be able to be used for all sorts of events all year round rather than being used once or twice a week for half the year and almost dormant the other half like AAMI Stadium. There's one inspirational story of a stadium built in Houston that was designed specifically to be used by both American Football and Rodeo on the same playing field.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#250 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Cruise wrote:
I'm sure there are lots of options. And next to a new stadium would be probably be one. The parklands are used for all sorts of sporting groups currently. Other options are existing grounds like Thebarton Oval. Or they could develop something from scratch.

To be honest this is the easiest issue to solve and the least of concerns.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#251 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:27 pm

AG wrote:I also believe that a multi-purpose stadium would bring the greatest benefits than one or a few several one-purpose built stadiums. It would be more efficient space wise and the stadium would be able to be used for all sorts of events all year round rather than being used once or twice a week for half the year and almost dormant the other half like AAMI Stadium. There's one inspirational story of a stadium built in Houston that was designed specifically to be used by both American Football and Rodeo on the same playing field.
It could also have a large convention facilities. AAMI Stadium has that at the moment but if it were bigger than AAMI's function rooms and obviously being in the city too, it could be a real money earner. It has been said that the Adelaide Convention Centre can't meet demand anymore. Depending on where a stadium is it could almost be an extension of the existing convention centre (obviously not ajoining though).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#252 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Pants wrote:This govt. is one of the most populous in recent memory. I'd be very surprised if they don't do a backflip on a city stadium and say that 'the people have spoken' or some sh!t like that. If the SANFL puts in the money it would make from selling the AAMI stadium land and private investors are also sought, the costs wouldn't be prohibitive, especially in context of the long term benefits to the state.

Of course, if the new stadium were over the railway yards and the govt. sold off or leased the rest of the land to developers for a cultural/residential/retail precinct, they'd probably come out in front.

As for people suggesting this could be a white elephant of (pre-A-league) Hindmarsh or Docklands proportions - our two current major football venues, AAMI and Hindmarsh, are not white elephants. If these were combined and a new stadium was used for AFL and marquee A-League and Socceroo matches, it will be used more than enough to be viable. The SANFL is the key. Without the Crows or Power there, a new stadium would be useless. The SANFL's willingness to entertain the idea is a big step.
It's a white elephant until those very large IFFs are fulfilled. The Wine Centre wouldn't have been a white elephant IFF it had been given a purpose that had attracted patronage. I and others have posted qualifications to our claims of a white elephant.

IFF all the planets align, then yay, let's build it. But until then it's a white elephant. As I said above Footy's latest statement is encouraging, but look at their condition 11. There's a lot of negotiation in the future, and we still need to hear from others.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 pm

monotonehell wrote: It's a white elephant until those very large IFFs are fulfilled.
The Wine Centre wouldn't have been a white elephant IFF it had been given a purpose that had attracted patronage. I and others have posted qualifications to our claims of a white elephant.

IFF all the planets align, then yay, let's build it. But until then it's a white elephant. As I said above Footy's latest statement is encouraging, but look at their condition 11. There's a lot of negotiation in the future, and we still need to hear from others.
Does Madison like custard?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#254 Post by Shuz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Wayno wrote:wow! this is good news, but still very early days...Will be interested to hear Rann's response :-)

Some basic sums:
* SANFL receives $350m for sale of land at west lakes
* SANFL was willing to spend $200 on upgrading AAMI stadium
==> that's $550m towards a new stadium!!!
Add the FFA contribution of around $270m they were willing to spend on a soccer-only purpose stadium, but instead towards a multi-purpose facility, total figure already at $820m.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#255 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:26 pm

This is pretty much the best news that I have heard regarding this situation in a long time. We are definitely a long way off getting the desired outcome but it starts here. I was one of the people who would have been labeled "ye of little faith" as I thought this kind of announcement would never occur and that we would be stuck with AAMI forever.

Sure, this really doesn't mean a whole lot, but it is a step in the right direction...now we just need Rann to move the hospital to somewhere else!