Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

#46 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Jim's post got me thinking...Is it reasonable to presume the ACC will dedicate more time towards improving Adelaide at the "street level" since the DAC now owns large ($100+m) projects?

I was really hoping our submission to the ACC would have been a catalyst for alleyway/lane improvement projects. But alas - no news as of yet...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:25 pm

That's $10m, Wayno.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Wayno wrote:Jim's post got me thinking...Is it reasonable to presume the ACC will dedicate more time towards improving Adelaide at the "street level" since the DAC now owns large ($100+m) projects?

I was really hoping our submission to the ACC would have been a catalyst for alleyway/lane improvement projects. But alas - no news as of yet...
Let's hope so

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Will » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Wayno wrote:Jim's post got me thinking...Is it reasonable to presume the ACC will dedicate more time towards improving Adelaide at the "street level" since the DAC now owns large ($100+m) projects?

Judging by the ACC Budget, none of our submissions have been implemented. It appears that our submission document is probably now in a shelf gathering dust along with the hundreds or thousands of other visionary proposals that have been discussed but never implemented.

We have some great alleyways and lanes in Adelaide. It is shocking and depressing that the ACC has not taken advantage of them to turn them into attractions in their own right. The fact that traffic and carparking is still permitted in almost all of the alleyways and lanes is a damming indictment on the ACC's failure.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 pm

One of the keys to Melbourne’s revitalization is city planner Rob Adams
“Rob Adams is one of the champions of urban design in Australia with over 30 years experience as a practising designer. Rob has been awarded an Order of Australia for services to urban design, town planning and architecture.” I think Rob has been at Melbourne 5 years.
I recently heard Rob present a seminar on sustainable development in Melbourne. Rob emphasized all the effort Melbourne has put into revitalizing, opening and incorporating lanes and arcades in new developments. One of the interesting ideas he presented was to give a street flower seller cheap rent in return for ensuring he remained open late at night keeping the city alive. Another I have previously mentioned was to use a number of different architectural firms for ground level design than for the rest of the development. :D :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by AtD » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Hah, awesome idea! The council gets a flower garden with no effort required!

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by Brando » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:47 pm

I was reading an article the other day on the infamous 'Banksy'. For those that are unaware who Banksy is, he is an artist/mural drawing individual from the UK. Some of his work is simply incredible. Some of his work has an element of political or social statement portrayed in a way which can only be described as thought provoking and just.
It got me thinking about our laneways and how it has been mentioned to create murals and artwork along many walls. Take a look at some of the photos which in their own right are an attraction and amazing.
The images are courtesy from the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/banksy/pool/
Attachments
Banksy - Knife Hoodie.jpg
A statement regarding Londons spiraling knife attacks and murders
Banksy - Knife Hoodie.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
Banksy - Girl & Soldier.jpg
This one was painted in Bethleham
Banksy - Girl & Soldier.jpg (119.45 KiB) Viewed 6620 times

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by Brando » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm

May i add, know one knows who this guy is. His work is done like a thief in the night. He does not have the luxury of taking his time in broad daylight. If the ACC can commision artist to do such work, the results would be great and a real sense of purpose for these upcoming laneways.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Wayno wrote:...I was really hoping our submission to the ACC would have been a catalyst for alleyway/lane improvement projects. But alas - no news as of yet...
Cnr Yarwood did slip a hint to 'watch this space' regarding Lindes and Francis lanes (off Rundle Mall) back then, but nothing since. Also the proposed Harris Scarfe development, whenever it gets built, would probably do away with anything created there.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by jk1237 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi there, as I was riding home from town this arvo, I noticed a gathering at that little square (Union st I think) off Rundle St, and there was some graf going down :lol:

I reckon this is fantastic, and this wall has been left a drab grey for too long. Its prob only 70% finished, but looks pretty cool already. It was drawing quite a crowd of passer by's, including me. They even had a stereo with rap music playing, it was almost too cool for Adelaide :D

This square is bleeding its little heart out for an outdoor cafe or bar in a bohemian style. Some old crates, old lounges, whatever. Its got a tree, its perfect. The combi coffee used to hang out here a few years ago, but disappeared.

I think Ive caught a cold from standing there too long in the cold though

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Wayno » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 am

excellent street art! can someone please upload a map showing where exactly it is located. thanks.

If the ACC helped make this happen then great. If they did not then they should be told about it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Will » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 am

Great photos jk1237!

I am of the opinion that the best candidates in Adelaide to become 'Melbourne' style laneways are Union Street, Ebeneezer Place and Sym Choon Lane.

As such I am disappointed that the ACC has not realised such a vision, and to this day allows those side streets, which are screaming potential to continue to be used as roads, with on-street carparking.

A crucial first step would be to remove the on-street carparks and enlarge the side walk. There is already a nice little cafe on Union Street; however it is hamstrung by the 1m sidewalk.

Another idea would be to get the dying Rundle Street Market to move into Union Street, Ebeneezer Place and Syn Choon Lane. This solution would be the best of both worlds, because it would allow Rundle Street to remain open to traffic on a Sunday whilst still allowing the market to continue. Furthermore, by compacting all the stalls in these 3 side streets, it would give the market a more 'alive' and spontaneous feeling, as opposed to the sterile, regimented set-up we have now. Also by staging the Rundle Street Market in these side streets, it would give them the exposure to make new 'Melbourne style alleyway businesses' to open up there.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Pat28 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Will wrote:A crucial first step would be to remove the on-street carparks and enlarge the side walk.
Its a path or footpath goddammit!
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm

Wayno wrote:excellent street art! can someone please upload a map showing where exactly it is located. thanks.

If the ACC helped make this happen then great. If they did not then they should be told about it...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... iwloc=addr

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#60 Post by Omicron » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:48 pm

Look at all the riff-raff hanging about, clad in their rebellious hoodwear and morally-destructive backpackery. Tsk!