Finally, the Liberal's "Vision of the Future" document

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Finally, the Liberal's "Vision of the Future" document

#1 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:44 am

It seems Major Marty is trying to beat Rann at his own game by creating a cult of personality around him: http://www.martin2010.com.au/

Fortunately for us, it has the Liberal's future vision document on it. You know, the one about taking over the ACC and creating seaside villages. Here's where you can find it:
http://www.martin2010.com.au/Pages/pdf/ ... yFeb08.pdf

I've had a brief read of it and it comes across as a rushed, amateur job. Where there is reasoning behind some of the ideas, it seems to be "just stick with the status quo" - specifically the section on transport. I wouldn't really call it a vision at all and think there is much better thinking and vision to be found here.

He could definitely do with a copy of the Vision 2030 submission :)

Joely
High Rise Poster!

Re: Finally, the Liberal's "Vision of the Future" document

#2 Post by Joely » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:18 am

No doubt SensationalAdelaide's vision is a whole lot better, but though the liberals 'vision' document seems like an rush job, Hamilton-Smith does have some visionary ideas. More so than our current government at least. I don't agree with the rebuilding on the RAH on its current site though. :? How on earth will that be possible? Where would all the patients go? It would definitely have to be relocated somewhere else, just not on the railyards. But bring on the entertainment precinct, 6-star hotel and sporting complex is all I have to say! :D

And yes, he definitely should be one of the receiveees (is that even a word???? haha) of our Vision 2030 submission! :mrgreen:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 am

This document isn't so much important for what it contains, but more so for the responses and idea-generation that will follow as a result. It will ensure that South Australia's built environment becomes an important political issue - architecture, urban design and cultural development will become more salient in the minds of regular people, which in turns spurs one-upmanship from both parties.

I suspect that it may well have been drafted on the back of a serviette, but that's another story.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 am

I think the hospital should be moved to a new location, perhaps not the railyards, but to try to rebuild the RAH in situe' is an expensive and inconvenient folly.
The RAH, on its current site provides the centre piece for our health and research
precinct. The site already contains the Adelaide University, medical facilities and
Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science (IMVS). Moving our major teaching and
research hospital away from this precinct will remove significant synergies colocation
of research and training facilities provides.
They need to read the proposal. All of those facilities are to occupy the proposed hospital site. Moving the Uni Adelaide medical division and the IMVS to a new site with the hospital in a modern and expanded facility is the plan. All of those stakeholders are screaming for more room and better facilities. Also, what's UniSA City West? Chopped Liver?
The plan for the Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital must be put to an election. The New State Liberals believe the people should decide in March 2010 whether they want the RAH bulldozed or rebuilt into a hospital we can be proud of at a saving,
Elections should not be a single reason decision. Just because the public votes for one party over another doesn't mean that they voted for that one reason. There is no "Do you want a hospital" check box on a ballot paper.

The existing RAH would still need to be bulldozed in order to build a new one on the same location. It's far easier and cheaper to start on a new site holistically than to try to rebuild a proper facility around an existing and operating one.

The paper makes good points regarding the Sports Precinct, but it just looks like they've been trawling our forums for ideas. The last paragraph is worth paying attention to:
The State Liberal’s are not advocating that a new stadium be built at City West just
yet. We recognise that the SANFL wants to stay at present at West Lakes. The
reality is this is a decision that involves not only AFL but soccer, rugby and other
sports, but which reflects on our ability as a State to attract major events such as the
World Cup Soccer and the Commonwealth Games. It is an important strategic
decision and a major investment in infrastructure for the entire state and the City of
Adelaide. The State Government and the organisations mentioned earlier need to
come together to work out which is the best pathway forward. Is it to be West Lakes
or City West?
City West is a special part of the Parklands. It is unique. But the broader Parklands
present perhaps the next great opportunity; if we get it right
Again they're making the right noises regarding the Parklands but not offering any actual vision. The text seems to be able to be interpreted to mean what ever the reader wants it to mean to them. I can read it simultaneously as "We believe that all the parkland invasions need to be bulldozed and returned to parklands" and "We believe that the parklands should be developed for all kinds of industries."
That is why horse racing is an appropriate use. That is why motor sport, in
particular the Clipsal 500 is appropriate. That is why Premier Mike Rann and the
State Labor Government are so wrong to abandon the redevelopment of Victoria
Park. The new State Liberals will introduce the Adelaide Parklands (Facilitation of
Development of Victoria Park) Amendment Bill 2007 into parliament during the
first sitting week of 2008 to allow a lease to be secured for the construction of a
new facility at Victoria Park for joint use by the South Australian Jockey Club and
the Motor Sport Board. It is not too late to save Victoria Park. Labor must
reverse its decision.
That shows either a complete misunderstanding or misrepresentation of the situation.

The Roads and Infrastructure section is interesting, they seem to say "cars is the be all and end all, so let's just make more parking in the city and widen the roads to it". The other parts of this section is nothing new and sounds like the current plans the dept already has in action.

The PT section's a joke. All it says is "we haven't any plans for buses", "we haven't any plans for the trains", then they go on to say that they'll build a new interstate train station next to the hospital that they wont build.

They're dead against the existing tram, and against any more plans to extend the tram network. "Buses, then trains, then trams"
The Liberal’s plan to develop City West as a cultural hub gives the tram a purpose.
It already has a purpose! I think they mean "another purpose."
Although an extended role for trams should not be ruled out. It is very difficult to
justify further expenditure on trams when so many other things need to be done first.
Sounds reasonable, but read the entire Roads & PT sections as a whole and ask yourself, is there an agenda here?

"Streetscapes and Heritage Homes" translation: rich people should be able to knock holes in their heritage properties and make extensions however they like.

"Stobie Poles" & "The Hills Face Zone" I agree with these sentiments.

"A City of Seaside Villages" I don;t have any comment on this part, I'm sure someone else knows more about it than I do.
Last edited by monotonehell on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 am

Omicron wrote:This document isn't so much important for what it contains, but more so for the responses and idea-generation that will follow as a result. It will ensure that South Australia's built environment becomes an important political issue - architecture, urban design and cultural development will become more salient in the minds of regular people, which in turns spurs one-upmanship from both parties.
Yes you're right about that. I suppose anything that provokes public discussion and similar plans from other parts of the political spectrum is good.
I suspect that it may well have been drafted on the back of a serviette, but that's another story.
Haha true. The Liberals are struggling with funds I hear, so I suppose we should cut them some slack. But still, it's not exactly a document I'd be proud of publicly releasing and touting as a major policy point if I were them. It reads like a stream of consciousness.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:01 am

Overall I felt that the master plan for the City of Adelaide was very good. You'll be surprised to know that sensational-adelaide has had an influence (albeit probably a small one) on the compilation of that document. There are people that helped with their document who've also had a chance to look at one of our early drafts, and they probably also read our forums for research. I was most impressed by the way they've been able to put theirs together and so quickly.

I'm led to believe this will be top priority for MHS if he gets elected. Personally i'd vote him in if he can put this plan into action in his first term - and i'm normally a Labor voter.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 pm

A lot of the points they mentioned are simply ideas that have been generated from people of this site, and it is blatantly obvious that they have stolen them and passing it off as their own. If anything, the Liberals should as well look at folding, and allowing a new party to take its place as the Opposition. (SensationalADELAIDE party anyone :P) Theyre cheapskates and obviously are hell-bent on clutching all the power they can get.

Well, Marty - my vote is for Rann.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Howie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Whoever's idea it is I suppose is irrelevant, just so long as something is done :)

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Düsseldorfer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Sounds like a pretty good plan and i have to agree with a lot in that document, like the Marj hospital and city west. Just hope that if they get elected they will actually do some of that stuff, but the Liberals reputation has me kinda worried, they usually promise all this stuff and then don't do it...
As part of a major reinvention of the City West site we should build a new
railway station underneath the City west precinct
But what is it with people in this state wanting to hide rail infrastructure underneath something!!! look at Europe: Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Gare Du Nord, Gare D'Lyon, Frankfurt Am Main Hauptbahnhof...now theres a country that isn't afraid of 'ugly' railyards

And putting diesel trains underground can't be good because of the fumes...
Last edited by Düsseldorfer on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I think Berlin's general rail infrastructure is pretty ugly (especially their Metro/Subway), but the new Main Station building is pretty good.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Brando » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 pm

It does look like a rushed document, but that said, i would certainly vote for MHS if an election was held soon. No doubt the Rann government are having to make some unpopular decisions for the long term, but i am yet to be convinced of their long term plans for the state. I simply have not seen one. If building the Hospital on the West Bank is their idea for such prime land, than they really do not have a clue.
Regardless of where the ideas have come from and if the Liberal government can sustain such a vision, i think they deserve merit for raising the issue into the public spotlight to create debate and raise it's profile and stance on certain drastic decsions that need to be made.
To me, the Liberals are looking for a younger vibrant state with clear confidence and vision for the residents of SA.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by AtD » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:58 pm

I disagree with their views on trams. They're holding the party line that they're a waste of effort.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Cruise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:19 pm

i love the swipe they took at rudd "only contributing 500 million to south road"

Howard was only going to give 250 lol

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Hoops » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Not suggesting I could do better or even the Labor party could.

But that was a Vision Document that only really had one or 2 Visions..

Most of it was using Dodgy statistics and misinterpreting statements.

Theres a bit there where they cite that Mike Rann "Prince of Privitisation" (An Honor which would better suit the Liberals)
And stating how he hasn't yet unprivitised the busses however weren't the liberals the ones that did that in the first place?(Could be wrong)

Also as an above poster said There saying 500 isn't enough even though howard only said 250. There bashing FEDERAL Labor Decisions on certain things but this is a STATE election.

Alot of it seems like stolen ideas.

Those that aren't seem Like Dumb ideas.

There is however one or 2 Things mentioned that you do have to take your hat off and say... Yea thats good...

But the majority seems like... Well were gunna do this... But yea.........eventually..........They Keep bashing Rann On not spending.. but this seems like Rife spending without the money.

kernelpanic
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by kernelpanic » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Have to say that I agree monotonehell. Completely.
monotonehell wrote:I think the hospital should be moved to a new location, perhaps not the railyards, but to try to rebuild the RAH in situe' is an expensive and inconvenient folly.
Absolutely. Anyone who thinks redevelopment is an ooption learly hasn't been to the RAH. The place should be condemned. It's a horrible place for staff and patients, and any attempt to rebuild it would be phenomenally expensive. To try and repair and replace all the services and bring it up to standard would be, well, folly. Also, imagine the incredible disruption to medical services. We're already in trouble with elective surgery waiting lists. Shutdown part of Adelaide's major tertiary referral hospital? Not wise.

They need to read the proposal. All of those facilities are to occupy the proposed hospital site. Moving the Uni Adelaide medical division and the IMVS to a new site with the hospital in a modern and expanded facility is the plan.
And don't forget the archaic Dental Hospital and Dental School.

"Stobie Poles" & "The Hills Face Zone" I agree with these sentiments.
The ubiquitous stobie pole. Ugh. It's one of the things I hate most about this city! Undergrounding will obviously take care of that, but isn't going to be possible everywhere. And street lighting is also required. Can we PLEASE have a replacement for these unsightly and dangerous things?