Glenelg : A Beach too far

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
gizmo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Glenelg : A Beach too far

#1 Post by gizmo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Hey guys, ( Title thanks to Wayno)

I've been reading for a couple of days now and this is my first post. There were some strong views on here about Glenelg from residents and from South Australian's I believe in regards to how Glenelg has evolved.
Well I'm currently doing a Stage 2 project on “To what extent has the changes to the perceived value of the Glenelg area caused exclusions and increased pressure on the coastal fringe?”.
Which basically includes how the rising house prices and apartment prices are excluding people who cannot afford them eg Elderly, how the developments are making Glenelg secluded and the pressure from places such as the Gold Coast are bringing more extravagant developments closer to the shore and blocking views. And if these issues are occurring, what can be done to fix them? eg. Public places.

Through reading the site I've observed that some of you have strong views on the suburb of Glenelg and are residents as well. I was wondering if some of view would like to give views on Glenelg, the issues above and if it has lost it's beach side feel. Also if you've been a resident for long time what Glenelg used to be like, if you feel its becoming secluded now , is it being disturbed by high rise buildings and any improvements you would like?
As the council of this area I was wondering if I could hear a members views on Glenelg and if it has lost it's beach side feel?

Thanks guys and any information even if only brief would be extremely appreciated.
Last edited by gizmo on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg : A Beach to far

#2 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 pm

In summary I love the high-rise and density at Glenelg. But i'd hate to see this replicated at too many Adelaide beaches (maybe 1-2 more beaches would be ok). It's a matter of having a choice and variety of destinations.

I agree it is an expensive area to live, and this may be pushing some people out, but isn't this a natural side-effect of the capitalist western world in which we live? It reflects the fact that people are willing to pay big $$$ to live in an ultra-bustling area. This should send a clear message to Govt and Councillors.

I don't think anything needs to be fixed (to quote from your post). It implies something is broken which i don't beleive is the case here. There appears to be abundant civic space at Glenelg already. I also believe the high-rise building create more views that they disturb.

Not sure what you mean by increased pressure on the coastal fringe? is this a concern for the natural environment?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:53 pm

"A beach too far"
;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:"A beach too far"
;)
mono - the grammar king!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

gizmo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Glenelg : A Beach too far

#5 Post by gizmo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Wayno wrote:In summary I love the high-rise and density at Glenelg. But i'd hate to see this replicated at too many Adelaide beaches (maybe 1-2 more beaches would be ok). It's a matter of having a choice and variety of destinations.

I agree it is an expensive area to live, and this may be pushing some people out, but isn't this a natural side-effect of the capitalist western world in which we live? It reflects the fact that people are willing to pay big $$$ to live in an ultra-bustling area. This should send a clear message to Govt and Councillors.

I don't think anything needs to be fixed (to quote from your post). It implies something is broken which i don't beleive is the case here. There appears to be abundant civic space at Glenelg already. I also believe the high-rise building create more views that they disturb.

Not sure what you mean by increased pressure on the coastal fringe? is this a concern for the natural environment?
Thanks, Just wondering are you a resident of Glenelg?
To be totally honest the pressure section wasn't part of my original topic question but the teacher thought it would be valuable and added it in as it is a recommended topic in the SACE curriculum statement under Human pressures on the coastal fringe. I understood as Pressure from other cities and coastal suburbs such as the Gold Coast to keep expanding and keep up, pressure on a type of person to live in Glenelg, the pressure Glenelg is under to host social and economic activities and environmental pressure. Though saying this I will clarify it with my teacher.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Wayno wrote:
;)
mono - the grammar king!
:lol: My tongue is becoming lacerated from having to bite it every third post on here.
There, they're, their, then, than, wonder wander, to, too, two, apostrophe abuse... :cry:

And now I see this out side the train station:
Not only do they abuse the apostrophe but... WTF? How do I get my taxi "sign posted" so I can do a U-Turn? :roll: I could send that to one of those Chinese-English websites and they'd post it.

Sorry to hijack your thread Gizmo. ;)

Normal service will be resumed shortly. :oops:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:19 pm

gizmo wrote:Hey guys, ( Title thanks to Wayno)
Welcome, Mr. Gizmo!
gizmo wrote:I've been reading for a couple of days now and this is my first post. There were some strong views on here about Glenelg from residents and from South Australian's I believe in regards to how Glenelg has evolved.
Well I'm currently doing a Stage 2 project on “To what extent has the changes to the perceived value of the Glenelg area caused exclusions and increased pressure on the coastal fringe?”.
An interesting research topic. What subject, if you don't mind me asking?
gizmo wrote:Which basically includes how the rising house prices and apartment prices are excluding people who cannot afford them
That's by no means a problem confined to Glenelg, of course. Be sure that your arguments are Glenelg-specific rather than a more general commentary on decreasing housing affordability, if that is your aim.
gizmo wrote:eg Elderly, how the developments are making Glenelg secluded and the pressure from places such as the Gold Coast are bringing more extravagant developments closer to the shore and blocking views. And if these issues are occurring, what can be done to fix them? eg. Public places.

Through reading the site I've observed that some of you have strong views on the suburb of Glenelg and are residents as well. I was wondering if some of view would like to give views on Glenelg, the issues above and if it has lost it's beach side feel. Also if you've been a resident for long time what Glenelg used to be like, if you feel its becoming secluded now , is it being disturbed by high rise buildings and any improvements you would like?
As the council of this area I was wondering if I could hear a members views on Glenelg and if it has lost it's beach side feel?
I'm of the opinion that Glenelg still remains accessible and welcoming to most people - it's by no means as elitist as some seem to think. I'd suggest that some of this attitude has more to do with an inherent dislike of change and of wealth being displayed in the form of significant new development - the ugg boots and McDonald's set still remain, let me tell you. ;)

I spoke at a Rostrum event around the time of the Holdfast Shores development, and community resistance to the proposals was very strong. It was apparent that much of the resistance was due to perceived contempt shown by the developers towards the community consultation process - the general opinion seemed to be that all suggestions and input given was ignored; that the plans put on display were done so only as a token gesture, and not with any intent to take into account the suggestions.

Don't manipulate the means to suit your ends - the lesson that should have come out of the whole process. I too was critical of the process at the time, but on the whole I think the new buildings have done more good for Glenelg than bad.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:25 pm

gizmo wrote: Thanks, Just wondering are you a resident of Glenelg?
To be totally honest the pressure section wasn't part of my original topic question but the teacher thought it would be valuable and added it in as it is a recommended topic in the SACE curriculum statement under Human pressures on the coastal fringe. I understood as Pressure from other cities and coastal suburbs such as the Gold Coast to keep expanding and keep up, pressure on a type of person to live in Glenelg, the pressure Glenelg is under to host social and economic activities and environmental pressure. Though saying this I will clarify it with my teacher.
nope not a resident, but it's definitely one of my regular haunts. Hang out on the sand, fly a kite, bike ride the esplanade with my child, visit a cafe or the grand hotel of an evening, the beach house, etc...such a vibrant destination. Makes me feel good.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Brando » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:37 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:
;)
mono - the grammar king!
:lol: My tongue is becoming lacerated from having to bite it every third post on here.
There, they're, their, then, than, wonder wander, to, too, two, apostrophe abuse... :cry:

And now I see this out side the train station:
Oh my, remember outside is one word. Pot calling the kettle black here :roll:

gizmo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by gizmo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Omicron wrote: An interesting research topic. What subject, if you don't mind me asking?
For Year 12 Geography, Independent Field Study relating to the topic of Coasts. Most of the class is doing coastal management issues and processes but I prefer the development and human issue to the side.
Omicron wrote: That's by no means a problem confined to Glenelg, of course. Be sure that your arguments are Glenelg-specific rather than a more general commentary on decreasing housing affordability, if that is your aim.

I'm of the opinion that Glenelg still remains accessible and welcoming to most people - it's by no means as elitist as some seem to think. I'd suggest that some of this attitude has more to do with an inherent dislike of change and of wealth being displayed in the form of significant new development - the ugg boots and McDonald's set still remain, let me tell you. ;)

I spoke at a Rostrum event around the time of the Holdfast Shores development, and community resistance to the proposals was very strong. It was apparent that much of the resistance was due to perceived contempt shown by the developers towards the community consultation process - the general opinion seemed to be that all suggestions and input given was ignored; that the plans put on display were done so only as a token gesture, and not with any intent to take into account the suggestions.

Don't manipulate the means to suit your ends - the lesson that should have come out of the whole process. I too was critical of the process at the time, but on the whole I think the new buildings have done more good for Glenelg than bad.
Thanks for your reply and if you don't mind me asking if you are resident of Glenelg? I will most likely use these answers as interviews for part of my field study so at a later date if I'm required to have names, if your comfortable I will approach you via pm. Keep the views coming guys!:D

gizmo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by gizmo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 pm

BTW I sent out emails to real estate agencies asking a few questions, got none back. So I thought I'd pose the questions to residents and others on here.

1) Why do you think people live in Glenelg?
2) Do you believe coastal house prices are too high and are now excluding people who cannot afford them?
3) Do you think Glenelg becoming a city as such on the beach, that it has lost its beach lifestyle and historicalness?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#12 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Not Glenelg, but nearby Glengowrie.
gizmo wrote:
Omicron wrote: An interesting research topic. What subject, if you don't mind me asking?
For Year 12 Geography, Independent Field Study relating to the topic of Coasts. Most of the class is doing coastal management issues and processes but I prefer the development and human issue to the side.
A much more enjoyable focus. Good luck!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:34 pm

How is it, realistically, that the Gold Coast places pressure on Glenelg? I don't see that connection at all.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AG » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:49 pm

I remember having to do this Independent Field Study for Geography in year 12, although I did the Glenelg Tram Line for mine. Good stuff it is. Hope you enjoy it.

gizmo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by gizmo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:29 pm

SRW wrote:How is it, realistically, that the Gold Coast places pressure on Glenelg? I don't see that connection at all.
It's the part that is most difficult in my essay. I just took it as Gold Coast, an expanding beachside city can be compared to Glenelg and therefore doesn't want to fall behind in its urbanization. I'm sure Henley Beach and Port Adelaide experienced pressure from Glenelg's constructions. If you have any insight into what "human pressures on the coastal fringe" is implying I'd gladly appreciate it.