More interesting traffic lights

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

More interesting traffic lights

#1 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sat May 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Just an idea to make Adelaide that little bit more unique when getting around by car or by foot.

German style traffic signals ( the light goes from green to red same as normal but when it changes to green it flashes the orange with the red then switches to green):
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6r2DU_yuCo&hl ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6r2DU_yuCo&hl=de" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube] also an orange flashing light to tell drivers that the pedestrians have a green light.

Animated Pedestrian crossings with a countdown timer (counts down the time it will stay green and when it will change to green):
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LgPePbGj4Po&hl ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LgPePbGj4Po&hl=de" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

At first it would be interesting for locals but eventually i think they would get used to it and one day laugh at the people from Sydney or Melbourne who think its cool and wish their city was like Adelaide... :wank: :2cents: :2cents:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: More interesting traffic lights

#2 Post by Wayno » Sat May 03, 2008 9:05 pm

They have the countdown timer thingo in many China & India cities. It certainly gives you comfort ...and let's you know exactly how fast to run!

It'd be neat to have them around Adelaide CBD...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by SRW » Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 pm

I'd like for our traffic signals to adopt the red-to-green through amber/orange transition that many cities have around the world. I found it wonderful when I was living in Stockholm, because people were actually quick off-the-mark when it hit green. That's the worst thing about Adelaide drivers, I think -- they sit at the lights when it's green! Get moving!

But, back to the topic, those pedestrian lights are nifty.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Sun May 04, 2008 2:31 pm

I'd like to see Adelaide adopt the Melbourne use of flashing yellow to mean give way to padestrians.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Sun May 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Or, for small intersections, have them off/flashing yellow at night to allow better traffic flow. Give Way/Right of way signs would then be used during those times. Something like the intersection of Days Road/South Road would be a start, then maybe a few along Tapleys Hill Road.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Sun May 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Norman wrote:Or, for small intersections, have them off/flashing yellow at night to allow better traffic flow. Give Way/Right of way signs would then be used during those times. Something like the intersection of Days Road/South Road would be a start, then maybe a few along Tapleys Hill Road.
I agree. There are a lot of intersections around the city that don't need control by traffic signals at night. They should be switched off during certain hours of the night and operated by the use of stop signs, in a similar way that intersections operate in Sydney when traffic signals fail to operate. That would also save quite a bit of electricity.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by cleverick » Thu May 08, 2008 12:21 am

I was facinated recently at 710 on a Friday night to observe the traffic lights at the intersection of Gawler Place and Pirie Street cycle through twice without a single car driving by. And when one did arrive, if came at its red signal. So despite being the only car for a good 4 minutes, it had to wait.

Flashing orange lights have my full support. German-style red-to-green-through-amber also. Pedestrian timers and so forth- maybe at scramble crossings (already an Adelaide innovation) to allow people to see if its worth running for the tram. Otherwise I'm against it as a waste of money.