Tramline: Where should they go?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Tramline: Where should they go?

#16 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 am

Düsseldorfer wrote:
Norman wrote:Shuz, only numbered stops have the "Please request now" ;)

And the correct announcement would be "To stop at Brougham Place, Stop 1, please request now" :)
haha what's with all the request stops: "Next Stop, Brougham Place", request stops are ok for the Glenelg line where there is a stop every 5 metres, but for one thru North Adelaide/Norwood trams should just stop anyway... just my :2cents:

but otherwise, thx for the pics, giving us a possible view of what our city might look like in the near future. I've always thought North Adelaide would look much nicer with a tram running through it

lol and would be nice too if our trams/trains told us which side to get off on, nearly all German trams and trains do it: "austieg infahrt richtung links/rechts" translation: "exit to the left/right in the direction of travel"...i mean if the German's do it, it must be efficient...right? :wink:
They also mention transfers to other routes.

Translation: Charlottenplatz. To transfer to routes U1, U2, U4, 43, 44, please transfer now.

And, yes, those trams have been retired now, and some are in operation in Eastern Europe.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Pat28 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Norman wrote:
Düsseldorfer wrote:
Norman wrote:Shuz, only numbered stops have the "Please request now" ;)

And the correct announcement would be "To stop at Brougham Place, Stop 1, please request now" :)
haha what's with all the request stops: "Next Stop, Brougham Place", request stops are ok for the Glenelg line where there is a stop every 5 metres, but for one thru North Adelaide/Norwood trams should just stop anyway... just my :2cents:

but otherwise, thx for the pics, giving us a possible view of what our city might look like in the near future. I've always thought North Adelaide would look much nicer with a tram running through it

lol and would be nice too if our trams/trains told us which side to get off on, nearly all German trams and trains do it: "austieg infahrt richtung links/rechts" translation: "exit to the left/right in the direction of travel"...i mean if the German's do it, it must be efficient...right? :wink:
They also mention transfers to other routes.

Translation: Charlottenplatz. To transfer to routes U1, U2, U4, 43, 44, please transfer now.

And, yes, those trams have been retired now, and some are in operation in Eastern Europe.
Ich sag Stimmt und... bitte steigen hier um fuer Adelaide Hauptbahnhof und Stadtmitte
If it works with the Germans, then it must work
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#18 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:38 pm

I'm sick to death of hearing this "european designed" or "european made" shit.

If its all that much better there go move to fucking europe.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:31 pm

They're just ideas, Mr. Tantrum

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by ad5 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:04 pm

I think one along Sir Donald Bradman Drive or Henley Beach Road to airport and then extended to West beach or Henley Beach and road would be good.

But hows this for an Idea. Since that would mean 3 lines West (Glenelg, Henley/West beach and Port/Semaphore) why not link them all up?? If we are to have a decent network a grid makes sense and this is obvious one. Look at Melbournes tram network, there are several lines intersecting lines (some dont fork out from the city but link several lines that do):

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps ... itan_trams

Imagine a line from Glenelg to Port without going via the city, or getting the tram direct from the airport to Glenelg or the Port. This is a true network! This would help many suburbs between these lines and create a line that would help make Adelaides coast line what it should be. It could even be extended down to Brighton\Hove to meet up with the train line there.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Pat28 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm

ad5 wrote:I think one along Sir Donald Bradman Drive or Henley Beach Road to airport and then extended to West beach or Henley Beach and road would be good.

But hows this for an Idea. Since that would mean 3 lines West (Glenelg, Henley/West beach and Port/Semaphore) why not link them all up?? If we are to have a decent network a grid makes sense and this is obvious one. Look at Melbournes tram network, there are several lines intersecting lines (some dont fork out from the city but link several lines that do):

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps ... itan_trams

Imagine a line from Glenelg to Port without going via the city, or getting the tram direct from the airport to Glenelg or the Port. This is a true network! This would help many suburbs between these lines and create a line that would help make Adelaides coast line what it should be. It could even be extended down to Brighton\Hove to meet up with the train line there.
I likes your thinings, but this is Adelaide, the poplace needs to be educated on hohw to use a bus in the first place you cant get from the Stirling to Blackwood without going to the city on a a Saturday via PT

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Somebody » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 pm

What's that got to do with anything?

Route 193/194 (or is it 893/894? can't remember) is a hopeless service - you could hardly do it on weekdays minus a few odd services anyway.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Apart from school kids, noone uses that service. How often would you or people you know travel from Mount Barker, Stirling or Aldgate to Blackwood?

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Somebody » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Irrespective of the current useless bus service, is there actually much/any demand for travel between the two areas?

If not, there goes one of the supposed "advantages" that the Bridgewater/Mount Barker/Murray Bridge train-around-the-world campaigners continually spout.

I live in the state east of SA (the one with only one railway crossing the border) - I've never had reason to make such a trip ;)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Somebody wrote:Irrespective of the current useless bus service, is there actually much/any demand for travel between the two areas?
There's an estimated average of 828 vehicles per day from the Blackwood-Craigburn area to the Crafers-Heathfield area, and demand for recreational and shopping trips is higher than for work and education trips, so it might actually be higher at weekends.

That figure's just for traffic with origin and destination in those areas, not through traffic. And I don't have any figures for the Mount Barker or Hahndorf areas, but I'd expect quite a high weekend demand for Hahndorf in particular.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:21 pm

The old 860, when it used to run from Marion to Mount Barker, was almost empty whenever I was on it.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Pat28 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Norman wrote:The old 860, when it used to run from Marion to Mount Barker, was almost empty whenever I was on it.
You caught the 860, so would know my pain with being the only one on it (along with being the only one on the 193,893,894 at 4 in the afternoon)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by Aidan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 am

A slight correction to my earlier posting: the estimated daily average of 828 was people travelling by car, not the number of cars.
Pat28 wrote:
Norman wrote:The old 860, when it used to run from Marion to Mount Barker, was almost empty whenever I was on it.
You caught the 860, so would know my pain with being the only one on it (along with being the only one on the 193,893,894 at 4 in the afternoon)
I think it's quite clear that there is not enough demand to attract many passengers to places along the route itself. But because it's the only route linking the Southern Suburbs and the Hills Suburbs, it should be able to attract many passengers if interchange opportunity is maximized. I think the best way to do it would be to amalgamate routes 699, 697 and 894, linking Reynella to Aberfoyle Hub, Blackwood and Crafers using minibuses.

The reason I think Crafers not Stirling should be the terminus is that Crafers gives better opportunity to connect with express buses to Hahndorf and Mount Barker, as well as having good connections to the local bus services - and all those that don't currently go to Crafers could easily be diverted or extended there.

And I'm not suggesting that school services should be changed.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Pat28 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Aidan wrote:A slight correction to my earlier posting: the estimated daily average of 828 was people travelling by car, not the number of cars.
Pat28 wrote:
I think it's quite clear that there is not enough demand to attract many passengers to places along the route itself. But because it's the only route linking the Southern Suburbs and the Hills Suburbs, it should be able to attract many passengers if interchange opportunity is maximized. I think the best way to do it would be to amalgamate routes 699, 697 and 894, linking Reynella to Aberfoyle Hub, Blackwood and Crafers using minibuses.

The reason I think Crafers not Stirling should be the terminus is that Crafers gives better opportunity to connect with express buses to Hahndorf and Mount Barker, as well as having good connections to the local bus services - and all those that don't currently go to Crafers could easily be diverted or extended there.

And I'm not suggesting that school services should be changed.
Aiden, i likes your thinkings, but after getting hammered by Transitplus and AdMet, they concluded that its cheaper to run a bigger 30 seat bus than minibuses. There are many problems with linking the 894 and 697 (and 699) togteher different contract areas - but all in all still a very good idea.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 pm

The only real benefit of midi-buses is to get into narrow streets that can't take normal buses, and in that case, you have to wonder if these small streets are a good place for an efficient public transport corridor.

Otherwise there's few advantages - it's not economical to maintain one "off-peak" fleet of minibuses and full size buses for peak, or different fleets of buses for different routes & different rosters etc. Savings are small and not worth it.