Why 9.00 to 5.00?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

Why 9.00 to 5.00?

#1 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Many threads on this site involve transport, and rush hour problems like Britannia roundabout, over crowded trams, trains, clogged roads? Considering after 9.00 am you can sit on a near empty bus with a few pensioners or drive into the city on near empty roads maybe Adelaide’s transport problems are more about tradition, scheduling working hours.
Everyone notices the difference in school holidays when those cars are off the road and kids off the buses.
Is there another way, does the population need to work 9.00 to 5.00 or is there another alternative which would make Adelaide a better place.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Why 9.00 to 5.00?

#2 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:08 pm

i work from home :-) commuting involves walking across the hallway to my office. There is usually a traffic jam near the front door at 8:30am when the kids exit to go to school, the dog goes crazy (he suffers from separation anxiety i believe), and my missus is screamin at everyone :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Wayno wrote:i work from home :-) commuting involves walking across the hallway to my office. There is usually a traffic jam near the front door at 8:30am when the kids exit to go to school, the dog goes crazy (he suffers from separation anxiety i believe), and my missus is screamin at everyone :lol:
Nice if you can do it, great more people should be given the option which would in turn make an impact on rush hour.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Since Adelaide is conveniently located in the central time zone we may be able to have some sort of commercial advantage if many of our CBD operations started earlier and finished later. Say for some workers start the day Eastern/Qld time and others 9.00 WA time. This would stretch the rush hour, make Adelaide alive for longer each day, create some commercial advantages and have huge savings in transport issues. This is somthing they just can't do on the east or west coast!

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by sam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Well I do my bit to help out by starting before 0900 and finishing after 1700...

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Jim wrote:Since Adelaide is conveniently located in the central time zone we may be able to have some sort of commercial advantage if many of our CBD operations started earlier and finished later. Say for some workers start the day Eastern/Qld time and others 9.00 WA time. This would stretch the rush hour, make Adelaide alive for longer each day, create some commercial advantages and have huge savings in transport issues. This is somthing they just can't do on the east or west coast!
Adelaide would be the obvious HQ for national companies particularly those involved with power, gas and water distribution, even miners and exporters. The one Australian office that is always open for business between 9.00 and 5.00 anywhere Australia Wide. A commercial advantage is one that can be done easier than others. :D :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AtD » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:39 pm

The public service has this sorted: Flextime! I can turn up any time between 7am and 10am, and leave any time between 4pm and 7pm. Any time owing carries over, and I can work extra and take a week or so off. The only problem: no paid overtime. :(

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:40 pm

I work for a global company, any my team is scattered worldwide. Many people do 2-3hours at home in the morning (typically 8-11am) which is mainly comprised of reading/responding to emails received overnight. They then head into the office for face-2-face time with colleagues until 3-4pm. Again they do some more work when they get home late afternoon. This model works well, they miss the peak hour commute, they love the flexibility, and they actually are more productive than historically possible.

Of course it only works with professional people who are self-driven and self-organized - which is not everyone, and perhaps not even half the workforce. I've worked with so many people over the years who were masters at creating ridiculous excuses why work never gets done...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 pm

AtD wrote:The public service has this sorted: Flextime! I can turn up any time between 7am and 10am, and leave any time between 4pm and 7pm. Any time owing carries over, and I can work extra and take a week or so off. The only problem: no paid overtime. :(
The difference is that you may be there but are not open for business. (Don’t mean to say you are not doing anything) Does solve the rush hour problem though.
Last edited by Jim on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Is it possible that the peak hour commute (especially on PT) is actually a desired social phenomenon? does it create a greater sense of community and urgency, and hence is vital to the success of industry?

just a thought...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Cruise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Brando » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, i'm doing my bit. I'm driving to work at 5:30am and heading home at 4:00pm everyday! :D

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:Since Adelaide is conveniently located in the central time zone we may be able to have some sort of commercial advantage if many of our CBD operations started earlier and finished later. Say for some workers start the day Eastern/Qld time and others 9.00 WA time. This would stretch the rush hour, make Adelaide alive for longer each day, create some commercial advantages and have huge savings in transport issues. This is somthing they just can't do on the east or west coast!
Adelaide would be the obvious HQ for national companies particularly those involved with power, gas and water distribution, even miners and exporters. The one Australian office that is always open for business between 9.00 and 5.00 anywhere Australia Wide. A commercial advantage is one that can be done easier than others. :D :D
How can we encourage Ausie Wide 9.00 to 5.00 businesses to set up in Adelaide? Maybe we could use rates reductions on longer hour’s offices, cheaper fees on transport out on normal rush hours and pay roll reductions?
Any thoughts?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:24 pm

cheaper fees on transport out on normal rush hours
They already do that, although they should implement Interpeak tickets before 7am and after 7pm.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Pat28 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Norman wrote:
cheaper fees on transport out on normal rush hours
They already do that, although they should implement Interpeak tickets before 7am and after 7pm.
Maybe even on weekends?
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen