The Fandangled New Ticketing System which we are Getting

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: The Fandangled New Ticketing System which we are Getting

#31 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 pm

^^^Yes AG I was! :D
AtD wrote:
monotonehell wrote:The gating would be caged as they do in Brazil. However I don't think it would work here. We have too many different model buses with different door positions. It would also make transfers more difficult.

Gating is more trouble than it's worth.
AtD wrote:*blank stare*

Pictures?
Monomotone - you perked my interest.
Sorry I missed that post...

I thought everyone would be familiar with the World’s first full-scale BRT network in Curitiba, Brazil by now. :D

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 pm

sacred_june wrote:As suggest earlier, the translink Go Card seems like a great solution.

i like the idea that you "touch off" at the end of your journey, with the fare then automatically worked out and deducted.
The statistician in me loves the idea. But London's experience with touch on - touch off has been less than good. The most common problem is when the touch off fails (due to pax mistake, or when gates are down and being manually over-ridden) and the passenger gets charged the full penalty fare.

I think the current ticketing system has it correct with the 'touch in' and get two hours travel.

There is a second problem with RFID - OMG HAX! There's been a few cases of people brush-reading passengers cards in a crowded train station and duplicating the cards. (Step one, read the security sig from a reader. Step two, wander around a crowded station with a pocket PC and RFID antenna hidden in your coat until you collect enough valid card info. Step three, copy selected info to a blank card.)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Norman wrote:You and your Buses... :roll: :lol:
Curitiba has a lot for us to learn from - bus or rail. It shows that caged boarding sounds good in theory (the cage holds one busfull of people, and everyone is already ticketed) but in practice; what if the bus is already part full? what do the poor people clustered the other side of the gate do when it rains? How about if you want to run more than one route from the same stop?

Remember:
I'm not anti-rail. I'm no even pro-bus.
I'm prO-bahn! :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:43 pm

New ticketing system another step in transport revolution
September 26, 2008

The overhaul of South Australia’s public transport system has gathered further momentum with the Rann Government calling for Expressions of Interest to supply a state-of-the-art ticketing system.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said an international call will seek out suitably qualified companies to provide the ‘Smartcard’ technology.

“Getting the ticketing system right is a key component of this government’s $2 billion public transport revolution announced in this year’s State Budget,” he said.

“We’ve seen the process go wrong in other states at a huge cost and we’ve learned valuable lessons.

“We’ll leave no stone unturned in getting the best product for South Australian taxpayers and public transport commuters.”

The Smartcard technology works by simply touching the card against a target reader on the vehicle and a fare will be deducted – significantly hastening the boarding process and providing system-wide efficiencies.

When operational the system will be installed in approximately 1000 vehicles and numerous transport facilities across Adelaide.

The Expressions of Interest advertisements will be placed in the Weekend Australian and The Advertiser in coming days. It will also be lodged on the South Australian Government tender website www.tenders.sa.gov.au.

This initial stage of the procurement process will close on November 25, with selected companies then provided with official Requests for Proposals. After the Requests for Proposals are evaluated (in 2009), the Government will work with the successful proponent to establish a realistic project timetable.

“The roll out of a new ticketing system will time well with progress of the wider transport revolution we announced earlier this year,” Minister Conlon said.

“We will have additional rolling stock on the system and will have completed the extension of the tramline to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

“Not only will we have laid the foundations for the nation’s best public transport system but it will be complimented by a modern ticketing system.”

In June this year Treasurer Kevin Foley announced a record $2 billion investment in public transport featuring electrification of Adelaide’s rail network, an extended tramline to Semaphore via West Lakes and Port Adelaide, plus additional funds for extra buses, trains and trams.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

ok so i guess it's official, we're gonna get the silly-card system after all...

would be great if it passengers could just scan their card and get unlimited and unrestricted travel for the whole day (24 hours instead of just for 2 hours) on the entire Suburban network for a fee which is deducted when u scan your card for the first time in the day, and then you can jump aboard buses, trams and trains as much as you want :wank: (but i think they will try to charge for every time someone boards a bus,train or tram)

i think they should also consider adding card scanners to all station platforms and tram stops so people can scan their card before boarding the train thus eliminating the big crowds at train/tram doors...buses would have to be done differently, especially for people traveling short distances which may require the old magnetic strip ticket technology to be kept, but maybe have 1 validatior per train/tram/bus and keep the conductors on trams so they can sell the older tickets to tourists...cause people visiting the city for a week or two probably don't want to have to buy a smart card just to visit Glenelg, unless it were a simple 1-2 step process that could be done by both staff and/or machine in multiple languages.

but i will be happy if it is cheap, efficient and simple (should be more simpler than the current system)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by muzzamo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:12 pm

There is absolutely no way that they will get this ticketing system on budget I reckon. Blowouts galore.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by AG » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:52 pm

I have created a new thread for the debate that has been taking place in this thread. It is located in Transport & Infrastructure. Stay on topic please people.