Low Stone Walls at Parkland Entrance Points

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Low Stone Walls at Parkland Entrance Points

#1 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 pm

This might seem pedantic, but i really dislike how the outer edges of the parklands (fullarton rd and greenhill rd in particular) are shabby rough grass/weed edges, flowing crappily onto a rudimentary gravel footpath. Makes me feel like i'm driving on a country road and should be mindful of cows and sheep...

As a contrast, there's one lovely spot, on Dequetteville Tce (near Bartels Rd) that has a beaut low stone wall. Such a nice feature, it "frames" the entrace to the parklands, making it look much more attractive and inviting. See pikkie below from google maps.
nice-stone-wall-entrance-to-parklands.JPG
nice-stone-wall-entrance-to-parklands.JPG (56.6 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
I wish this was done on ALL street corners and main path entrances around the parklands (running 10-20m in each direction). It would look great! Each wall could even have a plaque be dedicated to a veteran, famous Adelaidian, or similar (such as the Wayno memorial wall :-))
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Low Stone Walls at Parkland Entrance Points

#2 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Many of the urban parks in the major cities of the world are fenced. If the cost wasn't so prohibitive, I'd love for the perimeters of the parklands to fenced and gated. Would make them much easier to police, and for special events there'd be fewer of those awful temporary fences. Plus, I find entering a park through a gate makes for a much greater sense of destination.

But, you're right, it is probably pedantic.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Omicron » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Pedantic? Pshaw! A good city is the sum of its parts; when attention is paid to even the smallest of details.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Brando » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 am

Slightly off topic, but it's amazing what us, with 'vested interest' in this state, see as fickle and pedantic issues. An issue of mine has been the Marj, not just due to all the topics we have discussed over and over, but the fact this development area is also an entrance to the CBD from Port Rd.
I don't want to see a flat boring hospital as i approach the city, i would love to see big buildings, with neons, lights flashing, footbridge over Port Rd connecting to the parklands, where more activities can be undertaken, bustling with vibrance.

Sorry to hijack your thread Wayno, but your post got me thinking how important an entrance into the CBD is. Minor detail or elaborate as mine, these are the little things that do make a difference.

Oh, and yes i have had a few drinks tonight, hence the slight emotional connection here :roll:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 am

so it's agreed then, we'll build 6m tall stone walls around the parklands... :lol: welcome to fortress adelaide...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Mants » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 am

Wayno wrote:so it's agreed then, we'll build 6m tall stone walls around the parklands... :lol: welcome to fortress adelaide...
damn height restrictions :wank:
:lol:

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by toby1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Wayno wrote:so it's agreed then, we'll build 6m tall stone walls around the parklands... :lol: welcome to fortress adelaide...
to keep us in or to keep others out? The parklands are already designed to be the range of an old artillery gun, so the fences could enclose a DMZ for "filtering" purposes...
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:04 am

Slightly of topic, but I wish the ACC/State Government replace the ugly street lighting in the parklands along alot of the roads leading into the city such as Glen Osmond Road.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:26 am

crawf wrote:Slightly of topic, but I wish the ACC/State Government replace the ugly street lighting in the parklands along alot of the roads leading into the city such as Glen Osmond Road.
agree - stone-wall corners and attractive "parkland-style" street lights would be nice...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:53 am

Ive read a few times that the stone wall along North Tce for the Botanic Gardens was built for the original Adelaide mental asylum (loony home), I spose to keep the loonies from getting out. This was very very early in Adl's development ie between 1850-1870. Its quite high from inside the gardens, but low from the outside

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:34 pm

jk1237 wrote:Ive read a few times that the stone wall along North Tce for the Botanic Gardens was built for the original Adelaide mental asylum (loony home), I spose to keep the loonies from getting out. This was very very early in Adl's development ie between 1850-1870. Its quite high from inside the gardens, but low from the outside
That is quite a high wall along nth terrace. i'm not advocating anything like that elsewhere around the parklands, more "knee height" stone walls near major intersections to create a more formal appearance...

So loonies can't climb?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:53 pm

crawf wrote:Slightly of topic, but I wish the ACC/State Government replace the ugly street lighting in the parklands along alot of the roads leading into the city such as Glen Osmond Road.
Yes I agree. Another road to add to the list of shame is Peacock Road; it is like a time warp back to the 60s.