If I Were Premier of South Australia...

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: If I Were Premier of South Australia...

#31 Post by Cruise » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:30 am

Heritage listing is not based on how nice a building looks. It's based on how important that building was during time.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Can someone tell me exactly what importance lies in the history of murderers, rapists, convicts, etc. serving thier time for the crimes they commited? Like, shouldn't we be forgetting about these people - because truth is, they didn't contribute to society, they corrupted it - and I see absolutely no reason fit to preserve the history of those who corrupted before us. The Adelaide Gaol is nothing more than a shrine to the infamous legacy of such people and I for one, am not amicably supportive of retaining such history.

So, bulldozers out, construction workers in and stadiums amade and I shall be pleasantly happy.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#33 Post by Cruise » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 pm

It tells the tale of how we dealt with these unsavory types in yesteryear, You can't just say "lets forget about it, that was a long time ago"

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by AtD » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:54 pm

JamesXander wrote:Exactly. Its ugly. I am all for keeping good heritage things. But its ugly and it was a GAOL.

Ferchristsakes. You drive past it and its an ugly fence with about 100 copper cars in there. Knock it down, attach a tram link and make it a massive underground car park so we can save the city for buildings. Also it would be brilliant for the soccer down the road. Park your car and get shuttled down the road.
I think you're confusing the Old Gaol with the Police Barracks on Port Road. It's on a dead-end street, you can't drive "past" it.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... 3&t=h&z=17

The Gaol is the semi-circular arrangement of buildings over the tracks from the weir. The barracks are the group of buildings on the corner of Port and Gaol roads.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Will » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Cruise wrote:Heritage listing is not based on how nice a building looks. It's based on how important that building was during time.
Exactly, it is very immature to suggest that buildings only deserve protection depending on how 'nice' they look. A building that has a high historial and social value (such as the goal) is worthy of heritage protection, regardless of how 'nice' it looks.

The Adelaide Goal along with parts of Governemnt House are the 2 oldest remaining public buildings in Adelaide. The Adelaide Goal was built in 1840. It was designed by the architect George Strickland Kingston. The Adelaide Goal was such an extravagant building that its construction contributed to the bankruptcy of the colony in 1840 and the replacement of Governor Gawler who had commisioned such an expensive building.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by Cruise » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Will wrote:
Cruise wrote:Heritage listing is not based on how nice a building looks. It's based on how important that building was during time.
Exactly, it is very immature to suggest that buildings only deserve protection depending on how 'nice' they look. A building that has a high historial and social value (such as the goal) is worthy of heritage protection, regardless of how 'nice' it looks.

The Adelaide Goal along with parts of Governemnt House are the 2 oldest remaining public buildings in Adelaide. The Adelaide Goal was built in 1840. It was designed by the architect George Strickland Kingston. The Adelaide Goal was such an extravagant building that its construction contributed to the bankruptcy of the colony in 1840 and the replacement of Governor Gawler who had commisioned such an expensive building.
Great post. I never knew all that

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:48 pm

JamesXander wrote:
Shuz wrote:
Cruise wrote:Oh so you think the gaol is worth demolishing then Mr. Shuz?

Or are you trying to yank my chain? Sorry, I'm to strong to put up with your such childish insults.
What purpose does the Old Gaol serve? People are only playing the heritage card because the bricks are old... I wish they'd demolish the thing already. Its ugly, its boring and contributes hardly anything for Adelaide, economically and socially.

Exactly. Its ugly. I am all for keeping good heritage things. But its ugly and it was a GAOL.

Ferchristsakes. You drive past it and its an ugly fence with about 100 copper cars in there. Knock it down, attach a tram link and make it a massive underground car park so we can save the city for buildings. Also it would be brilliant for the soccer down the road. Park your car and get shuttled down the road.
I don't think a car park should be put there, I'd rather have a hospital or more parklands there than more ugly car parks. If it was to be demolished in the first place.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I'd build a new soccer stadium on the Torrens Parade Ground site. Perfect location!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Shuz wrote:I'd build a new soccer stadium on the Torrens Parade Ground site. Perfect location!
where's that?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Behind the Government House.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Shuz wrote:Behind the Government House.
Now you want to demolish the Festival Thetre?

Note to self: never give shuz the keys to a bulldozer.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Not behind Parliament, Cruise, behind Government House ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-34. ... 6&t=h&z=18

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Behind the Government House.
Now you want to demolish the Festival Thetre?

Note to self: never give shuz the keys to a bulldozer.
Note to self: Get keys to a bulldozer.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Only if we can bulldoze that annoying dog avatar as well :P

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:35 pm

Norman wrote:Only if we can bulldoze that annoying dog avatar as well :P
i take personal offence to that comment! :wink: dogs are people too...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.