Vision: Hindmarsh Alive

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Vision: Hindmarsh Alive

#1 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Hindmarsh: It's the one place with so much potential, yet so little of it has been realised. With a tram going to the Entertainment Centre from 2010, this potential is very much so increased again, to the point where something HAS to be done.

Over the last few days I have planned out a vision for a future Hindmarsh that is sustainable, exciting and broadly embracing. Many, many people will be able to benefit from a redeveloped Hindmarsh, from young people wishing to live in a place where they are close to the excitement of the city, to eco-friendly people who wish to live in a sustainable location close to everything. And here it is:

(Click to enlarge)

Its features include:

A new Hindmarsh Stadium
With soccer continuing to grow in Australia, and with an increasing multicultural diversity existing in our city, the need and support for a new rectangular stadium has grown over the past few years. Even if a multi-purpose stadium is to be built close to or in the city, there will always be a need for a second, smaller stadium to serve Adelaide United. This new, relocated stadium will be well-served by public transport in a tram extension outlined below, 2 levels of underground parking with player bus arrival areas and close-by pubs and cafes for before and after the game. The stadium capacity will be increased to 25 000-30 000, with space for further expansion available if deemed necessary. It will also have close access to South Road, the main arterial through suburban Adelaide.

A further tram extension loop
With the tram system going to the Entertainment Centre and further from 2010, the potential to further use this great Public Transport method is realised. From 2015, trams will terminate at the Entertainment Centre, but Train-Trams will continue on to West LAkes, Port Adelaide and Semaphore. In this plan, trams are not terminated, but continue on through Hindmarsh to complete a loop. This will provide great public transport to Hindmarsh Stadium and the new development areas. Very little modification of the existing road grid will be needed to provide this service.

South & Grange roads improvements
To improve traffic flow on South, Port and Grange roads, main roads will be altered to improve traffic flow to the Western suburbs and along the North-South corridor.

South Road will be improved by providing a tunnel running from just north of the River Torrens to just after the Port Main rail lines. To reduce impact on heritage buildings on the Western side of South Road, the road will head to the East, mirroring the Anzac Highway underpass. The tunnel will be in either 2+2 or 3+3 format, depending on long-term plans for the North-South corridor. Above ground, South Road will keep its current 2+2 format, with footpaths and medians beautified to continue the "Greenification" of the corridor.

Grange Road will no longer traverse through the Hindmarsh area, but will cut across to Port Road and merge with the current alignment. For drivers heading to the city, the road will go under the West-bound Port Road lane and merge with Port Road traffic, minimising impact on traffic flow on Port Road through traffic lights. Drivers from the city simply turn off Port Road into Grange Road.

South Road and Grange Road will be seperated from the buildings with noise walls. In addition, windows facing those roads will be sound-proofed.

Heritage listed buildings
Heritage is an important factor of this project. All heritage buildings will be retained, and most will be revitalised. Old warehouses will be turned into living spaces, and buildings kept as pubs or used as botique-style offices and retail outlets. Some will be used for community purposes as well.

Entertainment Centre
The Entertainement Centre will not be expanded, but will be refurbished by:
-Adding a level of Underground parking, including an area for stage material and band entry.
-Beautifying the existing car parking facilities
-Provinding better Public Transport access with the tram and train-trams
Adding the already proposed new arena at the Port Road frontage

Hindmarsh Place
Hindmarsh Place will serve many purposes. From being a location where one can just relax and take in the views to being engulfed in masses of fellow soccer fans as you make your way to the stadium. Hindmarsh Place will offer many facilities, including wide, open spaces, trees and planings, a main fountain, high quality seating, statues and artwork, open air cafes in the warmer months and a general meeting place for the residents of Hindmarsh and surrounding suburbs. An asthetically pleasing tram stop with frequent tram services will make this area very accessible to people from all around the city, and provide convenient travel to and from the Stadium.

Community Facilities
Hindmarsh will feature many community facilities that will serve the people of Hindmarsh and surrounding suburbs. A small new library will be featured in the community hub that will be open from early to late, making it the new, convenient library of the future. Computing facilites will also be provided in the hub. The hub itself is a mix of hertiage buildings and new modern buildings, creating something similar to that of the current State Library. Other facilities would be determined, but could include museums, galleries or other places of interested.

Retail & Eateries
Next to the Community Hub, a retail centre can be found. This will hold a supermarket, as well as specialty shops and small businesses such as hairdressers and delicatessen. This central location mens that noone will have to drive to pick up their groceries as many of us do now. Cafes will also sit in the open here, providing quick snacks for lunch to lavish dinners at night.

Roads
Most of the current roads will be made narrower and carparking will be reduced to discourage car travel. Pedestrians and trams will take priority over cars, and through-travel will be discouraged by creating the Grange Road bypass. Car parking, especially at the rtetail centre, will be cut dramatically in comparison to the normal developments to continue the push of enocouraging people to walk, not drive.

Current Warehouses - Where will they go?
Warehouses north of the Grange Road bypass will be retained, but made more effifcient. Land waste will be reduced, and the are made more asthetically pleasing. The area will be hidden away from Hindmarsh by noise walls, and through-access to Hindmarsh from the area will be cut. This will cut noise levels in the area and make it a more pleasant place to reside.

Other potential sites
Other nearby potential sites include:
-Clipsal Site at Bowden
-Thebarton
-Mile End

Hope you guys enjoyed looking at my future vision of Hindmarsh, and thanks for checking it out :)

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

Re: Vision: Hindmarsh Alive

#2 Post by ReallyBad » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:06 pm

I like that - some really good ideas there Norman
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:15 pm

A few comments:
Your tram loop is probably less than 2km long and your site is less than 1km wide. Six stops is a bit excessive. I'd suggest no tram loop at all and make walking to the Entertainment Centre more attractive. It's amazing how psychological people's judgement of walking distance is. I'd suspect if you provided a pedestrian link with a bridge that directly connects the platforms with Manton Street, you would see a lot of people use it.

Following on from that, it'd probably be a better idea to encourage medium density development on the eastern side of Port Road rather than the western side of South Road, because of the proximity to transit links.

I'd make better use of the land around the Entertainment Centre than just a car park. There's plenty of scope for urban parks in the park lands, which are just over the road.

Also remember that Adelaide University have a campus just over the river. You may want to provide a better link between that and transit options.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:16 pm

great ideas there.

i've always thought this area would be great for urban regeneration. there seems to be many old industrial warehouses located adjacent to the River Torrens, imagine if these places are retrofitted into funky apartments which would eventually generate retail activity with cafe, shops and small scale business on the street. the feel is very urban and real in this location and i for one, would love to live there if this urban choice of living was provided.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:37 pm

AtD wrote:A few comments:
Your tram loop is probably less than 2km long and your site is less than 1km wide. Six stops is a bit excessive. I'd suggest no tram loop at all and make walking to the Entertainment Centre more attractive. It's amazing how psychological people's judgement of walking distance is. I'd suspect if you provided a pedestrian link with a bridge that directly connects the platforms with Manton Street, you would see a lot of people use it.

Following on from that, it'd probably be a better idea to encourage medium density development on the eastern side of Port Road rather than the western side of South Road, because of the proximity to transit links.

I'd make better use of the land around the Entertainment Centre than just a car park. There's plenty of scope for urban parks in the park lands, which are just over the road.

Also remember that Adelaide University have a campus just over the river. You may want to provide a better link between that and transit options.
Thanks Adam, I'll take that into account if I revise my plan.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Omicron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:03 pm

It's certainly an area bursting with potential - even more so now that the State Government will set in motion a major urban renewal project across the road.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 pm

About upgrading hindmarsh stadium, i must ask is the foot print large enough to accomodate a 3rd tier stand on the manton street side? (just like the current members stand)

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 am

I'm not sure were else to post this

But I notice that 15.19 Holden Street Hindmarsh is for sale

given its location directly across the road from the members stand at hindmarsh, it could be a useful acquisition which would eventually allowfor further expansion of the stadium as well as a provision for more parking

The way I see it, purchasing sites around the stadium in a progressive way would allow for future development of the stadium.

It is after all not that far out of the CBD with with trams already going down there, and upgrading of parking would provide further incentive for people to get to the place in numbers (heck 9k on the weekend is pretty darned good for A-league)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Another site with major potential is the West End Brewery... could become a mini Bowden Village

Mants
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Mants » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 pm

crawf wrote:Another site with major potential is the West End Brewery... could become a mini Bowden Village
despite the fact that it is a brewery...

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by iTouch » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:30 pm

I disagree, in my eyes, it could be a liiiiittle taller. 50m+ just so it's visible to Vic Square
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Another site with major potential is the West End Brewery... could become a mini Bowden Village
Which can be relocated.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Mants » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 am

crawf wrote:
Mants wrote:
Which can be relocated.
well, if it was up to me, i'd have the product discontinued