YOUR solutions: How should we fix Glen Osmond Road?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: YOUR solutions: How should we fix Glen Osmond Road?

#46 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Somebody: Yes, I saw it too. There's no need to say it.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I would propose exits at the Fullarton Road, Greenhill Road (both for the Inner Ring Route, which should be upgraded with under/overpasses anyway), then ending with ramps up to Hutt Street and Pulteny Street. If I have time this weekend I might draw up a few plans.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#48 Post by Cruise » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 pm

So i'm guessing some of you guys a printing money in your shed?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#49 Post by Shuz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:52 pm

No, but at least we're offering visions and plans, unlike the current Government or Opposition is.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by mattblack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Shuz wrote:No, but at least we're offering visions and plans, unlike the current Government or Opposition is.
I do agree that the goverment should come up with a more comprehensive plan of what thier vision is for Adelaide, but if they tabled some of the suggestions on this thread they would be laughed out of parliment quicker than they could say 'Oh wait, it will only cost $2 billion, we'll just borrow the money.'

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#51 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 pm

mattblack wrote:
Shuz wrote:No, but at least we're offering visions and plans, unlike the current Government or Opposition is.
I do agree that the goverment should come up with a more comprehensive plan of what thier vision is for Adelaide, but if they tabled some of the suggestions on this thread they would be laughed out of parliment quicker than they could say 'Oh wait, it will only cost $2 billion, we'll just borrow the money.'
That was what i was trying to say, But with me it always just comes out seeming offensive. I must be saddistic

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by mattblack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Cruise wrote:
mattblack wrote:
That was what i was trying to say, But with me it always just comes out seeming offensive. I must be saddistic

I appreciate your saddism more than most :)

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#53 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Thank you to all who replied. I always appreciate vision when it comes to the outlook, expectations and planning of the future, and I am sure anyone would agree that even conceiving the most bizarre plans is better than not planning anything. At the moment I am working on a plan of my own, and I will post it once it is done.

:D
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#54 Post by Strangled Cat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 am

Wow, I never thought that Glen Osmond Road was all that bad. My fiance can leave at 7:40 from Mt Barker and still get her kids to school on time (South Tce) at 8:30. Sure, it can be slow, but it's never taken me longer than 15-20 minutes to get from the bottom of the freeway to the city in peak hour. I find roads like unley and goodwood road a lot more annoying in peak hour. I find Main South Rd where the Express way ends at Bedford Park to be the worst Rd I've been on in Adelaide at peak hour, and much more annoying than GO Rd. Compare anything in Adelaide to the traffic jams I've been in when I lived in Vic and no one there would have an ounce of sympathy. Sure they've got more freeways than you can count off the top of your hand, but they also have main arterial roads which are MUCH worse than here, and you usually have to navigate around trams too. Anyone been on Sydney road Preston in peak hour would be able to attest to just how bad that is!

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#55 Post by Aidan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Strangled Cat wrote:Wow, I never thought that Glen Osmond Road was all that bad. My fiance can leave at 7:40 from Mt Barker and still get her kids to school on time (South Tce) at 8:30. Sure, it can be slow, but it's never taken me longer than 15-20 minutes to get from the bottom of the freeway to the city in peak hour. I find roads like unley and goodwood road a lot more annoying in peak hour. I find Main South Rd where the Express way ends at Bedford Park to be the worst Rd I've been on in Adelaide at peak hour, and much more annoying than GO Rd. Compare anything in Adelaide to the traffic jams I've been in when I lived in Vic and no one there would have an ounce of sympathy. Sure they've got more freeways than you can count off the top of your hand, but they also have main arterial roads which are MUCH worse than here, and you usually have to navigate around trams too. Anyone been on Sydney road Preston in peak hour would be able to attest to just how bad that is!
Glen Osmond Road isn't particularly bad... yet. But being the only practical route into the City from a very large, very high growth area, it's going to have to deal with a lot more traffic in the future.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by JamesXander » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:21 am

I've always imagined them putting a tunnel directly under Glen Osmond Rd.

Make it two way during non peak hour periods, then during peak hour make it one way (the tunnel that is).

Dont think it will ever happen. But with Mt Barker and the Hills in general growing, and with Public transport pretty much at capacity during peak hour...we are gonna have to think of something soon

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by raulduke » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 am

Turn it into a freeway, over or under, fund it using a PPP and make it a toll road

problem solved :D

i should run for parliament

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:12 am

i drove the full length of Glen Osmond Rd last week, and i must say it's the ugliest stretch of road in the eastern suburbs.

Even if there's no justification to "fix it" from a transport perspective, surely there's enough justification to simply "pretty it up", esp since it's the first impression of the Adelaide Plains that many tourists experience...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by Splashmo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Wayno wrote:i drove the full length of Glen Osmond Rd last week, and i must say it's the ugliest stretch of road in the eastern suburbs.

Even if there's no justification to "fix it" from a transport perspective, surely there's enough justification to simply "pretty it up", esp since it's the first impression of the Adelaide Plains that many tourists experience...
Gee, I think that's a bit harsh. It starts off nicely, with the "fountain" and the sculptures. Then as you travel down there's trees and housing, before you get to the very nice office buildings, which largely carry you through to the city, with the exception of the shopping precinct at Parkside.

I think it's come a long way recently. The building for that housing company there at Fullarton with the funny trees is fantastic.

Geoscientist
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#60 Post by Geoscientist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 am

I have been a regular user of Glen Osmond Road for the past 15 years, work in Mount Osmond, and now live in a house on Glen Osmond Road.

Fortunately, I have mostly avoided the peak hour rush as I head out of the city in the morning, then back down in the evening. So my experience is with the outbound traffic in the morning, and the inbound traffic in the afternoon.
There are parked cars in the left lane, people turning right from the right lane, and people turning left in the left lane.
In the peak hour direction, it is usually clearway, and turning vehicles don't tend to be an issue as they can usually turn, unimpeded by oncoming traffic.
In the other direction, however, it's usually a matter of luck.

Heading away from the parklands, up Glen Osmond Road, in the morning, there are always cars parked in the left lane.
The right lane is usually the best bet, except for cars turning into Cappo Brothers or on to Young Street. Between Fullarton Road and Conyngham Road, it is usually unobstructed, apart from occasional parked vehicles and people turning into Macdonalds.
After Conyngham Road, there are ALWAYS obstructions, whether it be cars turning left into the petrol station / supermarket / Subway, or cars turning right (particularly Wattle and Fisher). After any immediate obstructions, it is usually clear up to the post office where cars occasionally get parked immediately following the parking bays.
Most of the time, it's like driving on a single lane road, weaving left and right around obstructions, with the added delight of impatient drivers trying to overtake (ie pass in the left lane despite the left lane being full of parked cars).

Heading inbound in the afternoon is much less frustrating. There are occasionally cars parked on the left lane, particularly adjacent to Ridge Park, and very occasionally, cars will turn right (sorry...). Usually, cars will bank back up behind a car turning right on to Conyngham. There are usually cars parked on the left between Conyngham and Fullarton Road, and an occasional car turning right into Macdonalds. Between Fullarton Road and Young Street, there are always cars parked in the left lane (presumably, shoppers), and there are usually cars banked up behind someone turning right into a driveway. Between Young Street and Greenhill Road, there are usually cars parked in the left lane (particularly employees parked outside their work). There are usually cars banked up behind a car turning right on to Greenhill Road, so it's usually a bit of a battle getting past the cars parked in the left, and then into the left lane to pass the car turning right. The intersection of Hutt Rd is another exciting point with an additional left lane; very useful for overtaking stubborn traffic.

Again, most of the time, it's like driving on a single lane road, weaving left and right around obstructions, with the added delight of impatient drivers trying to overtake (ie pass in the left lane despite the left lane being full of parked cars).

Where space allows, perhaps right turn slip lanes should be introduced, to allow cars to turn right or perform U-turns.
The introduction of a suicide lane, would require that the single lane was made clearway, and particular bus stops with greatest activity (ie those servicing Glenunga International HS) are modified so that traffic can pass while the hoards board or disembark in their typical, fashionably slow, sleepily bumbling teenage manner.
Restricting parking, in the left lane, may be detrimental, particularly along the small stretches of retail shops.