#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#286 Post by Splashmo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 pm

monotonehell wrote:http://www.martin2010.com.au/ RIP vision.

I said it before - what the libs need is an everybody else change not a leadership change. MHS was their only member with vision. The rest of them just bicker among themselves to the point where I think they should just split the party and be done with it. 'SA Liberals A' and 'SA Liberals B'. I'll let them argue over who gets to be A and B.

Now that MHS is out I've lost all appeal for the Libs, Riverside was MHS's vision. We never got to see how it may be fleshed out economically. Or any of their practical plans for the state. Perhaps who ever gains the leadership will turn it around, but I don't hold much hope there.

The Govt's now come out with their document, which is full of sensibility, and their commitment to density and TODs is good. But it's pretty empty of any sort of excitement. Looks like if we are to have a Riverside, it will be cornerstoned with a Hospital, and scattered with research facilities. That's an okay economic underpinning which will be a positive enlivening factor in terms of daily pedestrian traffic.

Not really exciting though.
Oh come on, a ten-year-old could have come up with a better plan than Riverside; all flash and pizazz and buzz-words but no substance or anything to take to the bank, let alone the voting booths.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#287 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Splashmo wrote:

I said it before - what the libs need is an everybody else change not a leadership change. MHS was their only member with vision. The rest of them just bicker among themselves to the point where I think they should just split the party and be done with it. 'SA Liberals A' and 'SA Liberals B'. I'll let them argue over who gets to be A and B.

Now that MHS is out I've lost all appeal for the Libs, Riverside was MHS's vision. We never got to see how it may be fleshed out economically. Or any of their practical plans for the state. Perhaps who ever gains the leadership will turn it around, but I don't hold much hope there.

The Govt's now come out with their document, which is full of sensibility, and their commitment to density and TODs is good. But it's pretty empty of any sort of excitement. Looks like if we are to have a Riverside, it will be cornerstoned with a Hospital, and scattered with research facilities. That's an okay economic underpinning which will be a positive enlivening factor in terms of daily pedestrian traffic.

Oh come on, a ten-year-old could have come up with a better plan than Riverside; all flash and pizazz and buzz-words but no substance or anything to take to the bank, let alone the voting booths.
I think you'll find that's what I said.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#288 Post by Splashmo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 pm

monotonehell wrote: I think you'll find that's what I said.
Well you seem pretty disappointed that it's gone.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#289 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 am

Splashmo wrote:
monotonehell wrote: I think you'll find that's what I said.
Well you seem pretty disappointed that it's gone.
More disappointed with the situation as a whole. If you look back at my previous comments from a few months ago, you'll see I was challenging the "Vision" to back itself up with economically sustainable tenants. Because as it stood it looked like white elephant.

No I'm disappointed with the complete lack of any opposition to Labor. Government only works if you have those on one side of the chamber being held to account by those on the other. Right now Mike Rann can pretty much do what he wants with no one to ask the important questions. And the Libs have no one with any vision to come up with some ideas.

It's the Government, not football.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

paul
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#290 Post by paul » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Splashmo wrote:

Exactly. Doesn't say much for the Rann government then does it?

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#291 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 pm

paul wrote:
Splashmo wrote:

Exactly. Doesn't say much for the Rann government then does it?
I'm not one for politics. I certainly don't follow it very closely and nor do I generally find myself taking sides. However, when it comes to vision I can't help but think of the trams. The Rann government have done something with regard to implementing a promising tram network, albeit fairly limited at this stage (possibly due to such strong opposition, led by MHS and co). Yet my memories of Martin Hamilton-Smith are basically him and his party opposing the trams and everything to do with them for the last four years. I, for one, am grateful for what the Rann Government have done with regard to our tram system and dread the thought of what may have been had MHS had his way.

It has been funny to follow the general feeling of posters on this site over the last three or four years. Where once there was a strong support for Rann and an intense frustration for Hamilton-Smith and his pedantic opposition to the trams it seems now that it has mostly been forgotten, perhaps because we've now got them and they can't be taken away. Now Rann is the bad guy and Hamilton-Smith is the hero. Well, hero is maybe going a bit far but the tide had certainly turned on this site at least.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#292 Post by Paulns » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:30 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:It has been funny to follow the general feeling of posters on this site over the last three or four years. Where once there was a strong support for Rann and an intense frustration for Hamilton-Smith and his pedantic opposition to the trams it seems now that it has mostly been forgotten, perhaps because we've now got them and they can't be taken away. Now Rann is the bad guy and Hamilton-Smith is the hero. Well, hero is maybe going a bit far but the tide had certainly turned on this site at least.
Like a loaf of bread, its nice when it comes out of the oven but after a while it becomes stale.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#293 Post by Pikey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:41 am

I think this thread has served it's purpose.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |