#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#226 Post by mattblack » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:25 am

peachy wrote:Probably of interest to followers of this thread, as you are probably pro keeping the RAH on current site, thus freeing up the railyards for an entertainment precinct:
WRONG !!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#227 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 am

Just heard that in order to fund the new RAH at citywest, Labor want to privatise some departments in the current RAH... that includes kitchen and catering, engineering and building services, etc... i thought they were trying to create jobs not destroy them. I reckon Labor will get the boot after this latest debacle.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#228 Post by bm7500 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:36 pm

mattblack wrote:
peachy wrote:Probably of interest to followers of this thread, as you are probably pro keeping the RAH on current site, thus freeing up the railyards for an entertainment precinct:
WRONG !!
Matt, thats a pretty selfish and immature response to someone who is trying to do something positive.

Its very simple, if you dont agree with the cause, dont show up. :roll:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#229 Post by Paulns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Howie wrote:Just heard that in order to fund the new RAH at citywest, Labor want to privatise some departments in the current RAH... that includes kitchen and catering, engineering and building services, etc... i thought they were trying to create jobs not destroy them. I reckon Labor will get the boot after this latest debacle.
I've heard the same thing Howie.. And btw I do hope so...
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#230 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Howie wrote:Just heard that in order to fund the new RAH at citywest, Labor want to privatise some departments in the current RAH... that includes kitchen and catering, engineering and building services, etc... i thought they were trying to create jobs not destroy them. I reckon Labor will get the boot after this latest debacle.
I thought most public facilities had private contactors in those sorts of jobs.

Typical Liberal wank, if you ask me. Everyone knows that the state Public Service is taking huge cuts because of the GFC. These jobs can be easily outsourced, as they are in many other places, and there's no shortage of companies with the ability to handle them. I suppose you think that the construction of the new hospital should be carried out by permanently employed Govt staff then? Of course not. These jobs are not going, they're still needed, people are still going to be employed to do them.

Don't tell me that you're going to vote Liberal and you think that they won't outsource as much of the Public Service as they possibly can. I don't believe you're that naive. :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#231 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Don't shoot the messenger, i've heard this first hand. There's a head of dept meeting today at one of the units I mentioned. Try telling them their jobs are safe. What are we going to outsource next? Doctors/IT/Drivers/Storeroom personnel... how you going to run a hospital on skeleton staff?

Next time you're in hospital, think about where the food you eat comes from. There is a RAH way of hygiene and food preparation, some of these guys have been in the same job for 17 years, and they've got a good track record. Why change a good thing? How are they going to save any money anyway.. most of the staff in those departments get paid $20/hr + overtime. And most of them have only ever voted Labor.. trust me this will hurt the government.

Next Qantas will want to outsource their maintenance crews... oh wait..

rhino

#232 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Most of those people will most likely keep their jobs but have a new employer. The Govt has done this many times - EDS was a biggy. Many of them will also be offered TVSPs and will take them.

By the way, the T in TVSP stands for targeted, and the target seems to have changed. The target now seems to be a number rather than actual positions.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#233 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Actually... EDS has run down one of their programming units from a staff of 15 programmers down to 5, and my cousin happened to be one of them who managed to keep his job long enough to train his replacements in China! Now he's back from China, and looking for a job. Anyone know a position available for a highly experienced programmer?

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#234 Post by Paulns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:26 pm

rhino wrote:Most of those people will most likely keep their jobs but have a new employer.
Not necessarily. Some may keep their jobs but I bet the pay and conditions wont be the same, (Eg. Numbers or hours of Staff). Private Enterprise has a whole different agenda to Public Service. That is to make as big as profit as they can to satisfy their share holders. Sometimes when these big companies bid for the contracts they end up undercutting each other. Public servents are directly accountable to the Government of the day, Labor or Liberal and therefore to the voting public. Outsourcing public jobs is not the right way to win support. I thought the Labor party was their for the workers anyway? Sacking someone is no way to treat a worker.
Last edited by Paulns on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#235 Post by mattblack » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Matt, thats a pretty selfish and immature response to someone who is trying to do something positive.

[/quote]

Touchy, touchy. If its really such a bad move its interesting how the Womens and Childrens hospital is making noises that they should also be moved to the new, state of the art precint that will be built. :roll: :roll: I would like to see the percentage of health professionals that want to move into the new hospital, anyone have those figures?

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#236 Post by peachy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 pm

mattblack wrote:
WRONG !!
Oh i am sorry mattblack you must have misinterpreted what i meant. When i said "probably of interest to followers of this thread, as you are probably pro keeping the RAH on current site, thus freeing up the railyards for an entertainment precinct", what i meant is "probably of interest to followers of this thread, as you are probably pro keeping the RAH on current site" not "definitely of interest to you mattblack because you are pro keeping RAH on current site " which im guessing is how you read it. I can see how you could make such an easy mistake :? . Im sorry for any offence that this comment must have caused to deserve such a poignant reply to be capitalised and followed by not one but two exclamation marks. i hope you soon recover from any anguish inflicted.

One question though, as it wasn't quite clear from your reply, which im sure in your fury you were unable to elaborate into a multiword sentence, quite understandable really. Are you saying that the majority of people reading a thread entitled riverside (entertainment precinct) aren't interested in something relating to a riverside (entertainment precinct) or aren't pro riverside (entertainment precinct)? Either case your argument just seems to be a little lacking substance. In future please keep your stupid to yourself.

THANKYOU !!

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#237 Post by peachy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:15 pm

mattblack wrote:

Touchy, touchy. If its really such a bad move its interesting how the Womens and Childrens hospital is making noises that they should also be moved to the new, state of the art precint that will be built. :roll: :roll: I would like to see the percentage of health professionals that want to move into the new hospital, anyone have those figures?
Oh good you must have recovered enough to muster up some sentences. bm7500 is just saying that you simply writing WRONG !! equates to you selfishly thinking that ur opinion is fact and is not dissimilar to the rantings of an immature infant before going into tantrum mode. which is a fair call. We're not attacking your argument rather than your argument style.

Regarding the numbers about health professionals, i think the whole public would like to see some numbers about the new RAH but the gov doesnt seem to want to give us any. Now that's attacking your argument!
Last edited by peachy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhino

#238 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 am

Howie wrote:Actually... EDS has run down one of their programming units from a staff of 15 programmers down to 5, and my cousin happened to be one of them who managed to keep his job long enough to train his replacements in China! Now he's back from China, and looking for a job. Anyone know a position available for a highly experienced programmer?
How long ago did EDS take over that role? 15 years or so? You can't say someone who has been there that long, and seen the writing on the wall, hasn't had time to find something else. Some of the people I worked with got transferred over to EDS and were quite happy with the pay rise and the improved conditions with respect to health care etc.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#239 Post by Howie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 am

Okay, without going around in circles too much.

Tell me, would you prefer the Marj-NewRAH gets built, and it gets cleaned by a private company, the food you eat gets prepared by a private owned company, your blood results are processed by a private company, the maintenance for your room gets done by a private company, the nurses who care for you are sent in from a private nursing group? And without sounding xenophobic, most of these companies are also likely to be foreign owned. If you're all for that, then that's your prerogative.

rhino

#240 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 am

I don't want to go round and round in circles either, but these sort of jobs (food preperation, building maintenance) are already outsourced in most departments, and it's working. I'm surprised they're not already outsourced at the RAH.

I also find it interesting that the government can be attacked for outsourcing some functions of a hospital, when the alternative (previous) government sold public hospitals off - the ultimate outsource.
cheers,
Rhino