Adelaide's Public Transport digital future?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Adelaide's Public Transport digital future?

#1 Post by olliepee » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm

All of you on here are obviously tech savvy, so I pose the question: where do you think Adelaide needs to improve or could innovate using technology in it's public transport system?

Here's some of my thoughts:

Ticketting - I honestly can't believe we live in a city where if you catch a train with the wrong change, you get thrown off.
Transport / Tourism websites - there are just too many of them, all of them government run. I don't care about going to bus sa to get out to barossa, I don't want to go to trailsSA to see all the bike trails to go up north, I don't want to visit 20 different websites just to get upto the flinders! Adelaide City Council (or the different departments of government) need to pull together and produce one hub for south australia. All the adverts on tv recently about getting out and seeing the barossa, and I don't even know how to get there!! Let alone some tourist or backpacker!!!
Mobile devices - iphone app's, etc, etc.
Monorail - cmon, who doesn't want a monorail :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide's Public Transport digital future?

#2 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:58 pm

You know there's a lot of cities where if you don't have exact change you can't even get on a bus. At least our bus drivers can give reasonable change. But I know the ticketing machines are a constant source of irrits. A new ticketing system is in the pipeline, just it's a very long pipeline... possibly the Glenelg to Adelaide one that they're currently laying. :lol:

Probably a good idea, you should write to Adelaide Metro and suggest that they integrate the bike paths into their transport network information. The other sites could possibly use some kind of coordination also.

They could do better, but the buses, trams and trains are all available on mobile devices. Look at Nomad Onboard. http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/nomads.html if you have a Java activated mobile device, or if you have a Windows Mobile or similar based mobile device you can just do what I have and down load the PDFs of the timetables. On the other hand GoogleMaps now have Adelaide Metro data overlaid. So they COULD do better, but they have started.

Even Disneyland can't make their new monorails work. The new Monorail Red has been in the shop about 90% of the time since it was introduced last year. That'll teach them to get them made in Canada. ;) On the other hand DisneyWorld's old '80's monorails are still buzzing around. It seems that contempory transport manufacturers have forgotten how to make things, they can't even find an artic bus to run on the O'Bahn. Wasn't a problem back in the 1980s. But seriously, where would you put a monorail in Adelaide that would do any good? The phrase White Elephant comes to mind.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by deano91 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:45 pm

One thing that they should do on trains is that they need to have a computerised voice that announces station names. Half of the time you can't even hear clearly what the driver has said, and then the other half of the time when you can hear them, they accidentally say the wrong station names and so they get fits of giggles, as happened while I was on the train the other day. It's ok for those of us that regularly catch the train and so know the order of stations off by heart, but imagine trying to be a visiting tourist!!

One thing that relates to this that I have been curious about for some time is the litte red LED screens that started appearing at the front of the train carriages a couple of years ago. They are long, slender LED screens which look like they could display station names, like they have on the trams, however they have been in some trains for a couple of years now, and have never shown anything. What's happening with these? Anyone know??

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 pm

I honestly do not understand the frustration with our ticketing system. It rarely fails of its own accord (and even when it does, people are still able to continue their journey), and is only demonstrably disadvantageous when imbeciles are boarding. Unfortunately, the world cannot discriminate against imbeciles, so they'll continue to exist even if we have the most technologically sophisticated ticketing system on the planet.

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by olliepee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 am

"One thing that they should do on trains is that they need to have a computerised voice that announces station names"
- couldn't agree more. Our train driver sounded like he was dying the other day - even the security guards were laughing at him and most people didnt know where the hell we were.

LED that display which stop is next would be really handy.

Both ideas they have implemented in the tram and really help.

Ticketing system
You know there's a lot of cities where if you don't have exact change you can't even get on a bus.
- but why oh why make it $4.80. Why not just $5 even, or $4.50!? There are always smart-card (rfid) or oyster card (swipe) style payment systems too. Pre or post pay.
To be honest, I don't mind paying with cash, but at least let me buy a bloody single trip. I shouldn't have to pay $4.80 for a one way from Glandore to the city, when for the same price I could get to Sellicks beach.
It's not that the ticketing systems fail.. the problem is that you can board a train, realise you only have a $10 note and be thrown off for not having the right change.

Aswell as mobile applications (Nomad doesn't count as it's a horrible horrible java app) i'd like to see some dashboard and vista "widgets" to show you when the next bus/train/tram is coming, etc, etc...

The problem with pdf downloads and nomad is that once you download, you generally can't do anything with them. Better applications should be developed (or the data services behind them) that automatically get updated, do smart things with the data, or if you suddenly find yourself at Norlunga train station you can view the station map and see where to get your interconneting bus at. They are definatly making a good start, but when you compare the Adelaide Metro (http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/) website to sydney's, melbourne's, or god forbid london's (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/) you can see how far they really do have to go.

lol, if disneyland can't get the monorails to work there's no chance for hte rest of the world.. but if they did, the monorail would go straight from my house into the sea for those hot summer days...

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 am

deano91 wrote:One thing that they should do on trains is that they need to have a computerised voice that announces station names. Half of the time you can't even hear clearly what the driver has said, and then the other half of the time when you can hear them, they accidentally say the wrong station names and so they get fits of giggles, as happened while I was on the train the other day. It's ok for those of us that regularly catch the train and so know the order of stations off by heart, but imagine trying to be a visiting tourist!!

One thing that relates to this that I have been curious about for some time is the litte red LED screens that started appearing at the front of the train carriages a couple of years ago. They are long, slender LED screens which look like they could display station names, like they have on the trams, however they have been in some trains for a couple of years now, and have never shown anything. What's happening with these? Anyone know??
Tokyo's new trains for JR East, the E231 and E233 series trains, work these new systems beautifully.

LED display on the side of the E233-0 series trains, shows the service type corresponding to a colour and the destination:

And inside the carriages (E233-1000), each set of doors has LED screens displaying service information, and there is automated PA system (in both Japanese and English):

Omicron

#7 Post by Omicron » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:37 am

I don't catch trains very often at all, so I could be quite off base here somewhat, but I was under the impression that the ticket machines onboard were able to take $10 notes?

I must say, though, the whole 2-Section idea needs to be revised, and quick-smart. I catch the tram now and then, and not one conductor is able to agree where one section starts and another finishes. That the sections are not marked on the internal maps nor the timetable itself is entirely nonsensical.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:47 am

Omicron wrote:I don't catch trains very often at all, so I could be quite off base here somewhat, but I was under the impression that the ticket machines onboard were able to take $10 notes?

I must say, though, the whole 2-Section idea needs to be revised, and quick-smart. I catch the tram now and then, and not one conductor is able to agree where one section starts and another finishes. That the sections are not marked on the internal maps nor the timetable itself is entirely nonsensical.
The 2-section thing is probably going to be made simpler/abolished when the new ticketing system comes in within the next 3 years.

Omicron

#9 Post by Omicron » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:51 am

Norman wrote:
Omicron wrote:I don't catch trains very often at all, so I could be quite off base here somewhat, but I was under the impression that the ticket machines onboard were able to take $10 notes?

The 2-section thing is probably going to be made simpler/abolished when the new ticketing system comes in within the next 3 years.
All they need now are thick black lines and headings entitled Section 1, 2, 3 (and so on) dividing up each part of the timetable, but if that's too hard for them, by all means get rid of it.

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by olliepee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 am

with something like rfid cards it would be able to detect where you got on and got off, and charge accordingly...

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by olliepee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 am

or is that WAYYAYYYY too futuristic if they can't even paid black lines on a map to denote sections :)

for the record, a "2 section is *usually* 4 stops

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by deano91 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 am

Two Sections explained

A Two Section ticket allows you to travel two sections which generally works out to be around 3 kilometres in distance.

Unlike Adelaide Metro Zone tickets you are unable to transfer services when travelling on a Two Section ticket without another trip being used on your ticket. Two Section tickets are considerably cheaper than Zone tickets, making them an excellent choice for anyone living close to their desired destination. Two Section tickets are available in the following varieties;

- Multitrip and Singletrip All Times Two Section tickets which can be used at any time of any day.

- Multitrip and Singletrip Interpeak Two Section tickets which can only be used between 9.01am and 3.00pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.

All of these tickets can only be used for Two Sections or part thereof and are not transferable. See the map below for bus section examples.

Bus travel
Bus sections are marked on bus stops.

Train travel
When travelling on Adelaide Metro trains, one section is equivalent to one railway station therefore a Two Section ticket is valid for travelling two stations.

Tram travel
Section points for tram travel are as follows:

* Section 1 - City West to Greenhill Rd stop 1
* Section 2 - Greenhill Rd stop 1 to Forestville stop 4
* Section 3 - Forestville stop 4 to Beckman St stop 8
* Section 4 - Beckman St stop 8 to Plympton Park stop 11
* Section 5 - Plympton Park stop 11 to Glengowrie stop 13
* Section 6 - Stop 13 Glengowrie to stop 17 Moseley Square, Glenelg
Again, while we have easy access to this information, many international and interstate people may not, and so this is where they can start getting in trouble.

And damn AG, you've made me want to go back to Japan now, I can clearly remember how much more I enjoyed riding their trains than I do ours. I would kill to see a 15 car set on our network :lol: I do think that LCD screens are a bit too much for us though, I think a simple LED screen inside the train saying the stop name, and one on front-outside showing destination would be sufficient.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Somebody » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

I can smell dribblers from a mile away. One of the first signs is rantings about things such as wanting PID screens in the trains - usually so they can photograph them as many of the Railpage morons do :wank:

Onto the serious stuff - definitely agree the single zone ticketing has to go. Inner suburban users subsidise the outer suburban people - why? Makes no sense for your trip to town from Norwood to cost the same as in from Gawler.

Go with more than two zones though - don't copy Melbun.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Omicron

#14 Post by Omicron » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 am

deano91 wrote:
Two Sections explained

A Two Section ticket allows you to travel two sections which generally works out to be around 3 kilometres in distance.

Unlike Adelaide Metro Zone tickets you are unable to transfer services when travelling on a Two Section ticket without another trip being used on your ticket. Two Section tickets are considerably cheaper than Zone tickets, making them an excellent choice for anyone living close to their desired destination. Two Section tickets are available in the following varieties;

- Multitrip and Singletrip All Times Two Section tickets which can be used at any time of any day.

- Multitrip and Singletrip Interpeak Two Section tickets which can only be used between 9.01am and 3.00pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.

All of these tickets can only be used for Two Sections or part thereof and are not transferable. See the map below for bus section examples.

Bus travel
Bus sections are marked on bus stops.

Train travel
When travelling on Adelaide Metro trains, one section is equivalent to one railway station therefore a Two Section ticket is valid for travelling two stations.

Tram travel
Section points for tram travel are as follows:

* Section 1 - City West to Greenhill Rd stop 1
* Section 2 - Greenhill Rd stop 1 to Forestville stop 4
* Section 3 - Forestville stop 4 to Beckman St stop 8
* Section 4 - Beckman St stop 8 to Plympton Park stop 11
* Section 5 - Plympton Park stop 11 to Glengowrie stop 13
* Section 6 - Stop 13 Glengowrie to stop 17 Moseley Square, Glenelg
So all those times I have been forced by conductors to pay a full fare for travelling from Glandore (stop 7) to Glengowrie (stop 13), and even Beckman (8) to Morphett Rd (12), I've been unfairly charged? Oh boy - are some conductors ever going to get a spray the next time I'm told off for supposedly breaching my ticket conditions by getting out at Glengowrie from Glandore or Beckman.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 am

Omicron wrote:I honestly do not understand the frustration with our ticketing system. It rarely fails of its own accord (and even when it does, people are still able to continue their journey), and is only demonstrably disadvantageous when imbeciles are boarding.
Either I.

From experience, Paris's transport services use a system much the same as Adelaide's, while Stockholm (and other European cities) use a vastly inferior paper slip/stamp system. Though, to be fair, both also operate smart cards.

I think the real problem with our present ticketing is that the system is approaching the end of its serviceable life.
Omicron wrote: Unfortunately, the world cannot discriminate against imbeciles, so they'll continue to exist even if we have the most technologically sophisticated ticketing system on the planet.
Eugenics.
Keep Adelaide Weird