Vision: Riverside 2

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision: Riverside 2

#16 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm all for brainstorming but this is just plain funny, I actually couldn't stop laughing at one point as I kept reading through this thread :D

Brainstorming within a rough budget and something that is at least slightly possible would help. Otherwise this is just more Shuz fantasy material.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by dbl96 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Just out of intrest, how deep would rail tunnels for a city loop need to be bored under the railway station to get under the buildings foundations? And how much would it cost?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by mattblack » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

dbl96 wrote:Just out of intrest, how deep would rail tunnels for a city loop need to be bored under the railway station to get under the buildings foundations? And how much would it cost?
Wheres Aidan when you need him. :D

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 am

Ahahahah, thanks for reviving this thread. I have to admit, it gave me the shits and giggles. One really does have to wonder what I was on 3 years ago!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Vision: Riverside 2

#20 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:44 pm

mattblack wrote:
dbl96 wrote:Just out of intrest, how deep would rail tunnels for a city loop need to be bored under the railway station to get under the buildings foundations? And how much would it cost?
Wheres Aidan when you need him. :D
I'm here but my computer isn't, so apologies in advance for tiPos and double spaces.

As for how deep the tunnels would need go be to avoid foundations, it's an interesting question. I don't have the actual figures, but I can give you some background information:

Not all buildings have piled foundations. Even some quite big ones, such as the Gallerie, only have shallow foundations. But most tall buildings do, so I'd be very surprised if the ASER buildings didn't.

Adelaide's geology complicates the issue a bit because there is a limestone layer under the CBD. This has advantages and disadvantages for tunnelling. Even those foundations that penetrate below it don't reach far below it, and no tunnel route below it is totally impractical from a geotechnical POV (unlike in cities such as London which don't have a rock layer). However the need to dig through it makes stations much more expensive, so it's still better to tunnel above it if possible, which is why I'm so keen for tunnel provision to be incorporated into the basements of 51 Pirie and 20 Flinders.

Adelaide station was originally built on the site of a quarry, so I don't know how much of the rock layer is left there or how far down it is.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.