#Vision: $779 MILLION Western Suburbs Tram network

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #Vision: $779 MILLION Western Suburbs Tram network

#31 Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 pm

adam73837, your wording was perfectly clear the first time. And since this is a web based forum, you obviously have a web connection - so next time you doubt I mean what I say regarding geographical features, I suggest you check Google Maps.

AtD wrote:
Aidan wrote:You're making the mistake of assuming the tram would be like the recent tram extensions, but that need not be the case. There is no need to segregate it from the rest of the traffic...
A street running tram like that, without a right-of-way in the form of a Tram lane, wouldn't it be slower than a bus? Unless it's a sufficiently busy commuter line where multiple door loading becomes a big time saver (that is, large crowds at few stops vs one or two people per stop at many stops).
One nice thing about tram lines is that they don't have to be the same along the entire length of the line. A tramway that runs in traffic all the way is indeed likely to be slower than a bus, but it should be possible to share the lane on a few parts of the route where space is limited without too much trouble. It may even be practical to include a few short stretches of tunnel, albeit without any stops.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Aidan » Fri May 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Wayno wrote:
fabricator wrote:I made a google map of the current tram network, and all the proposed extensions.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UT ... 4&t=h&z=13
i love the Deacon Ave, etc line proposal. This corridor is wasted space at present...
No, the corridor is green space at the moment. There's a big difference, and that line seems rather silly to me. I'm in favour of eventually building a tramway on Morphett Rd, but the sensible way to do it would be to run it as a branch from the Glenelg line.

However, I still do not have the report yet, as when I went to Holdfast Bay council they denied all knowledge of it...
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by drwaddles » Sun May 10, 2009 5:03 pm

“We’ve calculated that 14 trams will replace 30 buses every peak hour. They’re a much, much more efficient way of moving people and they put out about a quarter of the emissions of buses.”
Can somebody please point out where in Adelaide there are 30 buses per hour on a single route?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Sun May 10, 2009 5:11 pm

drwaddles wrote:
“We’ve calculated that 14 trams will replace 30 buses every peak hour. They’re a much, much more efficient way of moving people and they put out about a quarter of the emissions of buses.”
Can somebody please point out where in Adelaide there are 30 buses per hour on a single route?
O-Bahn :P

But seriously, I think the quote refers to the general "peak hour", which I think is 7am to 9am and 4.30pm to 6.30pm.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by drwaddles » Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 am

Norman wrote:O-Bahn :P
Well, of course that requires all the feeder buses to terminate at a station and pax to change onto Light Rail - which is why I say 'route' rather than corridor :wink:

I should also point out that the O-Bahn is not in the western suburbs :P

The point I was trying to make is that it is a pointless statistic that sounds great but has absolutely no relevance for the topic at hand.
Norman wrote:But seriously, I think the quote refers to the general "peak hour", which I think is 7am to 9am and 4.30pm to 6.30pm.
I'll admit it is journalism (and thus potentially quite inaccurate), but the term 'peak hour' (as opposed to peak period) is pretty prescriptive.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Wayno » Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm

fabricator wrote:I made a google map of the current tram network, and all the proposed extensions.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UT ... 4&t=h&z=13
After browsing the airport master plan, i believe AAL are keen for a line around the Eastern edge of the airport (so they can sell/lease the land) and either running down Morphett Rd to join with the Glenelg tram line, or heading back up Mooringe Avenue to join with Deacon Ave.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.