Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#16 Post by Omicron » Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 pm

Remember what happened the last time a large building was proposed for a Parklands site?

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed May 13, 2009 9:29 am

flavze wrote:By the way what are people pro's an cons for the two locations mentioned by Ben Buckley in the article.
the Uni sporting grounds and the Adelaide high school location?
I like the Adelaide High grounds right near the train track. Such an under-used area!

So i'm guessing if this does go ahead it could look something like skilled park in the Gold Coast

One thing though it does sound pretty expensive to build up and then pull down half the stadium
So i'm guessing $250-300M for the stadium then another $100M for the build up and pull down of extra seating.
Attachments
Skilled%20Park%20630a%20-%20ownedweb.jpg
Skilled%20Park%20630a%20-%20ownedweb.jpg (235.95 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 am

Just whipped this up on paint
Attachments
adelaide skilled.jpg
adelaide skilled.jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Adelaide Uni parklands
Attachments
north adelaide skilled.jpg
north adelaide skilled.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by ozisnowman » Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm

I quite like the positioning of the stadium on the Adelaide University Playing fields, this along with the
proposed redevelopment of Adelaide Oval and tram line extension would ensure both Stadiums were
centrally located and had adequate public transport access.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#21 Post by adam73837 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Norman wrote:He has the right idea though. If we do build a new stadium, it should be rectangular, as multi-purpose venues are hopeless to watch football in. And across the road from Adelaide Oval is, in my opinion, a great location.
I agree with you Norman. The thing about Riverside West

Omicron is that it won't allow for much expansion to the Oval Stadium, hence the reason that the more I think about it, the more I think that bulldozing and then rebuilding AO would be the better option for Football. However ensure that the 'new AO' has great seating views to ensure that it can still be used for BIG International Soccer and Rugby matches (ie the World Cup, which would mean that it would have a similar seating arrangement as Etihad or ANZ). Meanwhile, building a 35k seat Rectangular Stadium at Riverside would be a good option for soccer, since Hindmarsh can't really be expanded much more. Although mattblack's point on page 6 of http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 8&start=75 was a valid one, which hence makes me wonder what are some better options around Adelaide Oval to build this Rectangular Stadium:
Places_for_Stadium_3.jpg
Places_for_Stadium_3.jpg (225.22 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Before I get a Batman Picture :wink: :lol: :D :lol: , I haven't put much thought into the map I just posted, but rather just whipped something up based upon what people have said here and in the past.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#22 Post by adam73837 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm sorry people, but I couldn't resist reading AdelaideNow comments on this and I found one post from someone living in England that was quite interesting to read; enjoy:
Excuse me for stumbling upon this web chat about our sacred World Game from the dizzy, cold heights of Manchester, England, Adelaide Now website has become a bit of a new ‘Neighbours’ soap opera for us commoners in the Northern hemisphere’its intriguing and dam right full of proverbial shysters, cloak and dagger dirty politics and more shyster chartactors’but nonetheless, providing classy escapisum for us Uk folk. Anyhow, it seems to me that Adelaide is living up to its global rep as an over charged political principality of Australia that is slow to change, bigoted and small minded like most backwater Anglo Saxon led former English colonies (except the big cities.). There are just too many ‘Labor’ mandarins from the North Terrace corridors of power at the moment being scurrilous in writing Aussie vernacular (i.e. philistine in tone and metre) messages on this website against a new stadium. These shenanigans have not gone unnoticed back here in the Mother Country, and these Burghers in office in sleepy and angry South Australia with their sanguine faces need to know that Adedalonians I’m told don’t suffer fools gladly when it comes to media manipulation by these self-serving officials of doom and gloom. So my message from up ‘ere in bloody freezing British Spring, is directed at the county-council sized small Government of South Australia. We’ve been watching this city for a while, taking notes and we have an informed view as top soap opera arm chair critics, that football (soccer) is a sport very much wanted by the town’s folk, and we hear that quite a few over 30s men do support the likes of Tottenham and Man City, secretly watching games on Fox sport. ..even a few CEOs of Gov agency ;) Rise up Adelonians, march on the streets, demand, lobby and call upon your Lilliput leaders to build you this stadium, embrace football in all its glory, for the world can be your Oyster farm lie the ones you have in Port Lincoln. Adelondians, the UK Government’s top MI6 men and women have over the past five decades secretly kept football off your agenda, cuz we and the rest of the world know that Aussies could dominate football if let off their sporty leash (that’s why we have a laugh that you focus so much on our colonial pub sports called cricket and the toff sport of Rugby Union,,, and you fell for it and allowed England to win the world cup and have fun with the best league in the world’and we will all sing: When can their glory fade? O the wild charge they made! All the world wondered. Honor the charge that Adelaide made..(sorry big Tenny!) It’s great you are building a new hospital (though perhaps in wrong place if you listen to your health staff), it’s great you are getting pandas (though bloody expensive), it’s great you have to pay sports stars with tax payers money (Armstrong) to come over, you have great wine (I loved it when I visited, though not enough people about) and performed a great gaff when it came to appointing a Minister for road safety (Koust), but you will never truly be great until you have a proper CBD stadium for all codes of football, and be part of a united Australian bid for the World Cup. I quite fancy sipping a warm SA Cab Sav from the delightful chilly wintery Rundle Street, with a sea of Italian fans mingling with the Irish, before a momentous game just across the Torrens’I raise a glass to SA then and be back for the summer’like other folk from across the world that get to hear stories of the legendary wines, skippy and the kind SA people and that wonderful food can café culture that you don’t get to share that often cuz not enough new blood in the city. This is your chance SA, take it. We love SA and the rest of Australia.
Posted by: Liam Gallagher of Madchester 11:27am today
Comment 412 of 467
There was also another one from someone who didn't specify their location:
To all those who believe a wave of "soccer hoolingans" will descend on our city should consider what happens during any cricket match over summer (arrests due to alcohol), some AFL matches (wasn't the father of a Melbourne player bashed as he was exiting the ground recently?...and the last showdown I went to I saw a fight out the front) and the Australian Open Tennis. Have yet to see any violence at the A-League and World Cup qualifiers (oops, maybe a flare, heaven forbid) As for Australia not getting it due to time difference, they said that about the Olympics too. A recent BBC report had Australia as a shoe in for 2022 and the concensus overseas is that we will get it (mind you, what does the BBC know compared to the likes of 5AA?) It is not a stadium for a one of event. There will be ongoing football, rugby and concerts How many jobs will be made through the building of this centre? No-one has mentioned how much the Feds will kick in for this yet as well. If they have just put in for a redevelopment of Carrara for AFL they will put in for this. Choice is yours SA. Rann was going to put $150 mill of our money into an outdated, desolate concrete monolith at West Lakes that is used 7 months of the year. Compare that with $250mill for a state of the art multi use stadium in the city used all year round that will generate millions when (not if) the bid is succesful.

Posted by: Red Grant of 2:24pm today
Comment 439 of 467
So while I agree that many people on AdelaideNow post ridiculous things, there are others who make quite good points. Then there's this fellow who I've simply ignored:
God I am getting sick and tire of being "TOLD" Boring Ball IE Soccer is the world game and how any minute now australia is suddenly going to stop watching AFL and embrace this poor excuse for a Game. How many times are we going to here this? Get this through your thick heads it is and ALWAYS WILL be a MINORITY sport predominantly supported by europeans living in australia. Adelaide cant even keep its own team from folding see the current state of the REDS? Australians as a whole are an AFL and RUGBY nation and will continue to be and soccer will always be a niche sport here. So to use Tax payers money to fund this is totally rediculous and this whole thing just stinks of a bunch of people with a hidden agenda against the current govenment. And for all of you constantly trotting out that old line about the other states then BUGGER OF and live in them states if you think they are so good and leave adelaide in peace.

Posted by: glenn of Adelaide not Melbourne! 3:07pm today
Comment 443 of 467
But then the people with decent things to say (I'm not being biased) strike back :D :
Glenn, participation rates nationwide make you look pretty silly on this issue. This level of backwardness (the opposition of a new sports stadium to support our cities bid for world cup games) is only rivalled by the opposition to daylight savings in Qld & WA. We have a great City to showcase to the world as a tourist destination but the very narrow mindedness of the establishment in this City and State would rather us highlight to the world how much of a backwater we are. How come there is no outcry with regards to the money that is spent on Adelaide Oval?? What sort of crowds do the redbacks get to their games?? How much did the velodrome cost & how much revenue does it generate?? Sometimes you have to look past the pure number crunching & appreciate the value of being involved in what is by far the biggest sporting event in the world. The upgrade to hindmarsh was used as a political football, but without it we would have had no involvement with the 2000 Olympics.

Posted by: Greg of Adelaide 3:45pm today
Comment 448 of 467
While I am a big fan of Adelaide United and hate this pathetic brand of football the AFL is now playing. To build a stadium for half a dozen world cup games that we might get is ludicrous. Also Glenn of Adelaide or Melbourne, I am not european and cricket is our national sport.

Posted by: John of Hillcrest 3:41pm today
Comment 447 of 467
Glenn, According to the Sweeney Report, the most comprehensive survey of Australian Sport, interest in the AFL is 57%, Soccer 53%. Soccer is always in the Top 3 sports. The Socceroos have the highest rating games on Pay TV, ahead of both AFL and RL? Which Australia are you talking about? I think you mean the "Backwater Brigade" here in Adelaide.

Posted by: Larry of Hindmarsh 3:34pm today
Comment 446 of 467
glenn of adelaide not melbourne, i don't think the agenda is hidden...yes people who love the game want to see it here, but a key agenda should be for people to embrace this as an investment. You and others like you are the people with the agenda against the game and you are willing to forego a massive investment to satisfy your own personal agenda above the benefits that would accrue to the country and to this state.

Posted by: Desmondo of Wayville 3:27pm today
Comment 445 of 467
<END RANT> <END POSTING OF ADELAIDE NOW COMMENTS -FOR NOW :D :wink: > <AWAITS BATMAN PICTURE :lol: 8) :D :) >
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Prince George » Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 pm

Excuse me for stumbling upon this web chat about our sacred World Game from the dizzy, cold heights of Manchester, England, Adelaide Now website has become a bit of a new ‘Neighbours’ soap opera for us commoners in the Northern hemisphere’its intriguing and dam right full of proverbial shysters, cloak and dagger dirty politics and more shyster chartactors’but nonetheless, providing classy escapisum for us Uk folk. ....
ROTFL! That comment was worth suffering through pages of AdelaideNow twaddle to find - Adam73837, I salute you! And did you notice that it was ...
Posted by: Liam Gallagher of Madchester 11:27am today
I wonder if Shaun Ryder or Morrisey are reading AdelaideNow too? (Moz once said that he got his song ideas from reading The Sun -- "Girlfriend in a coma" was a headline, for example -- who's to say what could be on his next album?)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by jk1237 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 pm

:lol: I always wondered how on earth The Smiths came up with that song title 'Girlfriend in a coma'

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am

Ok so I am all for this going ahead but it just blows my mind reading on Adelaide now how many people have a crazy view, and think that thats what the majority of the state feels! I just did a litle research to find the numbers of participants in sporting activities in Australia as of 2007 out of the winter ball sports the numbers read...
AFL - 308,700
Basket ball - 496,800
Football - 683,000
Hockey - 100,300
NRL - 175,200
Rugby Union - 127,900

So just on those stats only football deserves repect but i think that it needs to work harder on getting those people to games more before a stadium is truely justified.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu May 14, 2009 10:10 am

I just found this care of user sevengoals on www.adelaidereds.com
By Karolos Grohmann
BERLIN, May 13 (Reuters) - Hundreds of FC Union Berlin fans will enjoy the new soccer season in a stadium they built themselves.
Defying the financial crisis that has been biting into lower-division soccer, the former East German club tapped into fan loyalty to rebuild their ground in time for their promotion to the second Bundesliga.
Short on cash but with an abundance of devoted fans, club officials appealed for help when they were granted permission for construction work at their Alte Foersterei (Old Forestry) stadium.
Tucked away in the leafy southeast Berlin suburb of Koepenick, the stadium with its trademark old forest warden's office has been the home of the club since 1920.
Hundreds of fans volunteered after the call last June, offering their spare time, equipment, building material and experience. Fan commitment brought in close to five million euros' worth of work and resources.
"Our club, our stadium, our pitch, the Alte Foersterei," one volunteer worker wrote on the team blog on their website (http://www.fc-union-berlin.de).
After years of legal wrangling, plus an escape from bankruptcy for the club, Union Berlin president Dirk Zingler announced 12 months ago that the team had finally been granted permission to refurbish the ground.
"The response from fans was stunning," said club spokesman Christian Arbeit. "Everyone started spending their holidays, their days off here. Others came on weekends, students worked during their semester breaks; absolutely stunning."
BLACK SHEEP
So far some 75,000 man hours have gone into the 20,500-capacity stadium, worth about two million euros. Sponsors supplied building material, equipment and manpower worth another 2.5 million euros.
From a few hundred, the band of helpers grew to more than 1,600 who worked in teams under six professional builders.
Daily, between 30 and 100 people continue to work on the stadium, with an online log charting their progress, as they prepare for the opening friendly against Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin on July 8, when all the volunteers will get in for free.
"The stadium becomes much more valuable this way. It carries more weight than one that was built by a big corporation," said Arbeit.
Union Berlin, third division champions this season, are used to doing things their way. For years they were the black sheep of East German soccer, with their fans under scrutiny by security services for dissent.
"This was always a club that had an alternative culture," Arbeit said. "It was not a club of resistance fighters but it was a club where people did not agree with everything in the GDR and they made their disagreement known."
Unlike hated East Berlin rivals Dynamo, the feared Stasi secret police team, the "Iron Union" attracted dissent.
"You came here if you had an alternative position, an alternative lifestyle. Nowadays it is all about opposing this commercialisation of sport," Arbeit told Reuters.
TEMPORARY HOME
That dissent was also visible during the Cold War when Stasi operatives meticulously logged details of fans at Union games.
During free kicks, as opposing teams lined up a wall of defenders, fans used to chant: "The wall must fall", a double meaning in the divided city which was not lost on the intelligence officers.
Many fans subsequently had job applications and other official requests turned down because of their support for the club or even just because of their presence at the Alte Foersterei.
Since the fall of the Berlin Wall 20 years ago, the club has gone through highs and lows, like all the Berlin teams. They reached the 2001 German Cup final and played in Europe before dropping into the regional divisions.
They moved temporarily into reviled Dynamo's former home, the Jahn sports park in Prenzlauer Berg where powerful Stasi chief Erich Mielke regularly sat in the stands and the Berlin Wall ran along the side of the stadium.
A fan convoy of more than 250 cars left the sports park in haste on Saturday after Union's 2-0 win against Regensburg sealed their promotion, heading for the Alte Foersterei to stage a party.
"We hated it there; awful, just awful," said Union fan Peter Lange, watching the progress of the building works outside the stadium on a cool, spring day.
"Here everyone will know who built this stadium. Everyone playing for the team will carry this extra responsibility. Fan loyalty cannot be bought."

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by fasterthanlids » Thu May 14, 2009 2:53 pm

So, just to clarify, are you in favour of this stadium adam_stuckey?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Thu May 14, 2009 6:53 pm

adam_stuckey wrote: 2. Adelaide United should need a larger stadium within 5 - 10 years and this is the perfect excuse for one. I felt embarrassed that we could only get 17,000 to the Asian Champions League Final.
So where are these 17,000 band wagoners every other game of the A-league season?

Now that's something to be embarrased about

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:Ok so I am all for this going ahead but it just blows my mind reading on Adelaide now how many people have a crazy view, and think that thats what the majority of the state feels! I just did a litle research to find the numbers of participants in sporting activities in Australia as of 2007 out of the winter ball sports the numbers read...
AFL - 308,700
Basket ball - 496,800
Football - 683,000
Hockey - 100,300
NRL - 175,200
Rugby Union - 127,900

So just on those stats only football deserves repect but i think that it needs to work harder on getting those people to games more before a stadium is truely justified.
Where are the numbers for netball?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#30 Post by Cruise » Thu May 14, 2009 7:29 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:Ok so I am all for this going ahead but it just blows my mind reading on Adelaide now how many people have a crazy view, and think that thats what the majority of the state feels! I just did a litle research to find the numbers of participants in sporting activities in Australia as of 2007 out of the winter ball sports the numbers read...
AFL - 308,700
Basket ball - 496,800
Football - 683,000
Hockey - 100,300
NRL - 175,200
Rugby Union - 127,900

AFL and NRL are not sports