Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#211 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am

Thats one of the main reasons why are behind the eight ball other countries either already have suitable stadia (USA) or they have already released plans for the new stadia (Spain)

I really think the FFA should just take the lead and come out with some plans of their own considering its more in their interests than anyone else
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#212 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:08 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:The last statement in the story is pretty much where i stand on this i don't really see why any other sport should heap the benefit of a new or refurbished stadium in the city (or anywhere) if football pretty much did all the work to acquire it.
That's a fair comment I think. So why then do you keep saying that football (SANFL) and cricket (SACA) should be doing everything to accomodate soccer by providing a suitable stadium?

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#213 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
adam_stuckey wrote:The last statement in the story is pretty much where i stand on this i don't really see why any other sport should heap the benefit of a new or refurbished stadium in the city (or anywhere) if football pretty much did all the work to acquire it.
That's a fair comment I think. So why then do you keep saying that football (SANFL) and cricket (SACA) should be doing everything to accomodate soccer by providing a suitable stadium?
at no point have i said that AFL or cricket should accomodate football. I've been saying that the SANFL and the SACA and keep on argueing as long as they want and the state/federal govenment should build a purposed built rectangular stadium for football to use during the world cup and after into the future
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

metro
Legendary Member!

#214 Post by metro » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Well if Adelaide does build a rectangular stadium for the world cup 2018/2022 (or later) hopefully they dont do what melbourne did and stuff it up by making it's seating capacity too low for the world cup. We need to call in some experts from Germany to be taught how to build world cup standard facilities.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#215 Post by Shuz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:
at no point have i said that AFL or cricket should accomodate football. I've been saying that the SANFL and the SACA and keep on argueing as long as they want and the state/federal govenment should build a purposed built rectangular stadium for football to use during the world cup and after into the future
We get it Adam. You've said the same thing the last million pages. Can you just shut the f*** up now. You're really starting to hit my nerves.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#216 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:07 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:That's a fair comment I think.
Well it's nice to know people are listening...

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#217 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:26 pm

World Cup 2018 bidders rated
The Press Association Sport rates the progress of rival bidders vying to host the 2018 World Cup. The odds referred to are courtesy of Coral.

ENGLAND

The early favourites, England have the stadia, infrastructure and profile to warrant that position. Football Association and bid chairman Lord Triesman has rightly identified the support of UEFA president Michel Platini as the key to success. Some doubts persist however because of the Premier League's enduring antipathy to Platini. Odds: 11-10.

AUSTRALIA

Best of the candidates from the Asian confederation and the most likely destination if 2018 does not go to Europe. Can point to the fact that it would be a new territory for the World Cup, something that FIFA likes, plus it is a sport-crazy nation with good infrastructure Staged a small publicity coup this week when they handed a bag promoting their bid to Warner and other power-brokers gathering at the Leaders In Football conference in London. Odds: 10-1.

SPAIN AND PORTUGAL

Powerful opponents for England. FIFA have decided to accept a joint bid from the Iberian neighbours, who both have excellent stadia and can be sure of the three South American votes on FIFA's 24-man executive committee. Odds: 2-1.

RUSSIA

Major players in football politics, especially as UEFA president Platini came to power on the back of support from eastern Europe. But the vast distances - there are nine time zones - and the struggles of Ukraine and Poland over preparing for Euro 2012 may persuade FIFA members to go for a safer bet. Odds: 5-1.

HOLLAND AND BELGIUM

Can at least demonstrate they worked well together to put on Euro 2000 and have the facilities but perhaps not the glamour of England or the joint Spain/Portugal bid. Odds: 8-1.

USA

Strong candidates, but for 2022 rather than 2018 which is more likely to go to Europe, and Warner has been a forceful advocate of going for the later tournament. Hosted the 1994 competition and that was judged a great success, with FIFA sure to remember fondly the television and marketing opportunities. Odds: 33-1.

JAPAN

Recent hosts, in 2002 jointly with South Korea, and would undoubtedly be another commercial and administrative success. But at the moment are distant outsiders with little political clout. Odds: 100-1.

INDONESIA

Surprise entrants and rank outsiders with little heritage, infrastructure and influence to boast of. Odds: 100-1.

SOUTH KOREA

Joint hosts with Japan in 2002 and while the logistics of playing across two countries almost persuaded FIFA to abandon the dual hosting concept in the future, the tournament would be a commercial and organisational success as a single entity and the passion for football among the Korean people demonstrated seven years ago would also be a draw. However, Australia look like the most likely hosts from the Asian confederation. Odds: not available.
I would probably swap the odds of Australia and USA to be honest. Its pretty clear what all the short odd countries have that we don't...

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#218 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I think the reason the US has higher odds than Australia for 2018 is because they are almost a shoe-in for 2022. In terms of solely looking at 2018, Australia's odds are probably greater than the US but it really doesn't matter because England most likely has it in the bag.

Hey KRudd, better get 'gifting' to those voters.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#219 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 am

I really think we need to take a leaf out of the USA's bid book just look at the line up they have for their bid commitee
Philip Anschutz, Founding Partner Major League Soccer

Drew Carey, Host, The Price is Right

Carlos Cordeiro, Goldman Sachs Vice Chairman (Asia)

Landon Donovan, U.S. Men's National Team player

Dan Flynn, U.S. Soccer CEO and General Secretary

Ed Foster-Simeon, U.S. Soccer Foundation President

Don Garber, Major League Soccer Commissioner

Sunil Gulati, U.S. Soccer President and USA Bid Committee Chairman

Mia Hamm, U.S. Women's National Team former player

Robert A. Iger, President and CEO, The Walt Disney Company

Dr. Henry A. Kissinger, former U.S. Secretary of State

Robert Kraft, New England Revolution and New England Patriots owner

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California

Donna Shalala, University of Miami President

Joe Uva, Univision CEO.

Mr Warner, Arnold Schwarzenegger is on line one.

Heavyweight enough for you?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#220 Post by Prince George » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:31 am

Drew Carey, Host, The Price is Right
While it is true that he hosts The Price is Right, more to the point he is the owner of the Seattle Sounders.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:42 am

Wow i didn't know that. I was wondering why he was on the team.I presumed it was because he's good at improv (who's line is it anyway?)

Freddie Ljungberg plays for the Sounders so he must be doing something right!

....what is a sounder?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#222 Post by Prince George » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:27 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:Wow i didn't know that. I was wondering why he was on the team.I presumed it was because he's good at improv (who's line is it anyway?)

Freddie Ljungberg plays for the Sounders so he must be doing something right!

....what is a sounder?
"Sounder" referring to the Puget Sound, the inlet from the Pacific ocean that Seattle's built on.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by Hooligan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Now Prince George, Can you explain why the Seahawks are so shit?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by Prince George » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Well, coach Mike Holmgren left at the end of last year, and there's the recurrent injury problems for QB Matt Hasselback, the lack of a clear starting running back, and problems along the offensive line (especially at left tackle, where they lost two players to injuries). But ask any real Seahawk fan about the team's current problems and they will tell you that it all goes back to 2006, when they got cheated in the Superbowl by lousy refereeing. And that will be the reason for all of their bad seasons from that day onward.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:23 am

Sounds like Adelaide United's last grand final