BIG ideas for a little city

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: BIG ideas for a little city

#16 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:24 pm

pushbutton wrote:I thought every suburb already did have shops within walking distance?
The southern part of Hallett Cove doesn't. There used to be shops on Grand Central Avenue by the railway, but they closed years ago.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino

#17 Post by rhino » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Nathan wrote:
rhino wrote:My big ideas for our "little" city:
A continuous foot/cycle/rollerblade/scooter/pram-friendly path along our beaches, from Northhaven to Sellicks Beach.
http://publicspace.planning.sa.gov.au/g ... coast-park
:wink:
Thanks for the link, Nathan. I did actually know about this path, but I've seen bits of it up near Semaphore etc that are timber, through the sand. While this looks great and would be quite pleasant for walking or cycling, it's not pleasant for rollerblades, kids on scooters, or stroller-type pushers (which generally have small wheels). This really cuts down the number of people who can/will use it. Admittedly, I've only seen this from the Esplanade, and assumed it was like your average board walk, which is not suitable for small wheels. I'm happy to be proved wrong.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#18 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm

rhino wrote:
Nathan wrote:
rhino wrote:My big ideas for our "little" city:
A continuous foot/cycle/rollerblade/scooter/pram-friendly path along our beaches, from Northhaven to Sellicks Beach.
http://publicspace.planning.sa.gov.au/g ... coast-park
:wink:
Thanks for the link, Nathan. I did actually know about this path, but I've seen bits of it up near Semaphore etc that are timber, through the sand. While this looks great and would be quite pleasant for walking or cycling, it's not pleasant for rollerblades, kids on scooters, or stroller-type pushers (which generally have small wheels). This really cuts down the number of people who can/will use it. Admittedly, I've only seen this from the Esplanade, and assumed it was like your average board walk, which is not suitable for small wheels. I'm happy to be proved wrong.
I didn't realise parts of it were boardwalks where sand can cover it. I agree, it certainly does limit it's use. (The parts around Brighton/Somerton/Glenelg are along side the road, as widened footpaths)

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#19 Post by ralmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:39 pm

rhino wrote:Thanks for the link, Nathan. I did actually know about this path, but I've seen bits of it up near Semaphore etc that are timber, through the sand. While this looks great and would be quite pleasant for walking or cycling, it's not pleasant for rollerblades, kids on scooters, or stroller-type pushers (which generally have small wheels). This really cuts down the number of people who can/will use it. Admittedly, I've only seen this from the Esplanade, and assumed it was like your average board walk, which is not suitable for small wheels. I'm happy to be proved wrong.
I've ridden along the Semaphore to Outer Harbor section several times. The board walk sections are built like bridges roughly a metre above the sand. I've never seen it get covered with sand. I ride a hybrid bike with thin tyres that easily skid in loose sand, so I would notice if there was much sand covering the board walk.

rhino

#20 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 am

ralmin wrote:
rhino wrote:Thanks for the link, Nathan. I did actually know about this path, but I've seen bits of it up near Semaphore etc that are timber, through the sand. While this looks great and would be quite pleasant for walking or cycling, it's not pleasant for rollerblades, kids on scooters, or stroller-type pushers (which generally have small wheels). This really cuts down the number of people who can/will use it. Admittedly, I've only seen this from the Esplanade, and assumed it was like your average board walk, which is not suitable for small wheels. I'm happy to be proved wrong.
I've ridden along the Semaphore to Outer Harbor section several times. The board walk sections are built like bridges roughly a metre above the sand. I've never seen it get covered with sand. I ride a hybrid bike with thin tyres that easily skid in loose sand, so I would notice if there was much sand covering the board walk.
Thanks Ralmin, I do remember it was some distance above the sand. It wasn't the sand that concerned me, more the distance between the boards, and the consistancy of height of the boards, which would be an issue for small wheels - rollerblades, kids' scooters, strollers, etc. As I said before, this cuts down on the number of people who can/will use it.
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by mattblack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 am

Big ideas anyone?

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:13 am

Leave the federation :P

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Not sure hoow big this idea is but what about going for a round of the world mountain bike tour. We've got a focus on bikes now with the Tour down under for road bikes, BMX world championship round. What about the moountain bikes to have all bases covered. Could easily covert some of the Adelaide hills walking tracks.