VIS: West Lakes urban renewal (Ex-AFL use of AAMI stadium)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

Re: VIS: West Lakes urban renewal (Ex-AFL use of AAMI stadiu

#16 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am

crawf wrote:Looks good, though I thought AAMI was going to remain as a main football oval for SANFL and pre-season AFL matches?. Etc lower the ground capacity to 15,000.

That would make more sense.
Is a 15,000 capacity oval really necessary? There are probably 10 current and former SANFL ovals scattered around Adelaide with such a capacity. Another one seems totally uncessary to me.
stumpjumper wrote:Well done, SANFL and the government - SA goes from a two major oval city to a one oval city.
Two stadiums that are each pretty much dormant for 6 months of the year. Even with one stadium there will still be less than half the events held at it than the MCG holds per year. The idea that we need two stadiums is most fanciful.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Paulns » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:The idea that we need two stadiums is most fanciful.
It's not fanciful??? How do you ever expect Adelaide to host anything other than the AFL and Cricket at one major stadium when these two organisations pretty much have a monopoly on this one ground for 6 months each of the year??? Don't get me wrong I'm a SACA Member and an avid to say the least AFL supporter over any other Football code, myself. I make no apology for that but what about the bidding for the Commonwealth Games, or Socceroos Games, Wallabies Games, Rugby League games????? What about other sports??

Just look at the recent A-league grand final in Brisbane, over 50,000 people. How do you ever expect Adelaide United to hold a grand final like that when if the AO's not avaliable for Footy, crickets using it?? No chance in hell, Adelaide United will get a look in and guess what, the game will just get shipped back to the Eastern States.. You watch, if the AFL gets into the Adelaide Oval their grip will be vice like and it will be very tough for any other sports or codes to get onto that ground while its their turn!

Adelaide's a grown up, growing city of over 1 million people and deserves 2 world standard stadiums, preferably 1 new one but I'll leave that for the other thread.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#18 Post by rev » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Where in the title of this thread does it mention Adelaide Oval?
One thread being locked down and posts being removed isn't enough for some of you? :wallbash:

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

The thing I dislike about this plan is the lack of provision for reupgrading the stadium. For the next few years Adelaide Oval is likely to be sufficient for all Footy's needs, but its lack of upgradability is a major concern, so it would be nice to have an alternative location able to handle the really big crowds.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Pants » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Brilliant idea. Let's make provision for upgrading AAMI to say 70,000 capacity and let it sit there until whatever one in 10 year event comes along which that many people will want to attend.

Aidan

#21 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Pants wrote:Brilliant idea. Let's make provision for upgrading AAMI to say 70,000 capacity
Why not? Making provision for upgrading isn't expensive.
and let it sit there until whatever one in 10 year event comes along which that many people will want to attend.
It would be a lot more frequent than once in 10 years. With trams to West Lakes, a Showdown could probably attract that many, at least in good weather.

But the real point is that our increasing population is likely to result in much bigger crowds. Right now there's little reason to cater for crowds of more than 50 000. But in the future, it's likely to be an increasingly common occurrence, and a bigger stadium will make economic sense if we make provision for it. But if we have to start from scratch then it will be a lot more difficult.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#22 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

that is the major flaw with both AO and Hindmarsh - very limited scope for increased crowds.

but we do live in Adelaide - which like many places plan for the now with a complete disregard to the future...especially a future where they may not be around to reap the benefits.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Pants » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Aidan wrote:
Judging by the render on the first page a substantial portion of the proposed development couldn't go ahead if they were to leave enough space for AAMI to be redeveloped to a 70,000 capacity.

That's pretty f'n expensive from where I sit.

Omicron

#24 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Aidan wrote: But the real point is that our increasing population is likely to result in much bigger crowds. Right now there's little reason to cater for crowds of more than 50 000. But in the future, it's likely to be an increasingly common occurrence, and a bigger stadium will make economic sense if we make provision for it. But if we have to start from scratch then it will be a lot more difficult.
Or use the increased demand for limited seats to raise prices. Bobbins to the notion that increasing population = increasing crowds, too.

And why on earth would the SANFL leave AAMI for AO only to let the AAMI land sit in purgatory so they can come back in 20 years?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Aidan wrote:
Pants wrote:Brilliant idea. Let's make provision for upgrading AAMI to say 70,000 capacity
and let it sit there until whatever one in 10 year event comes along which that many people will want to attend.
It would be a lot more frequent than once in 10 years. With trams to West Lakes, a Showdown could probably attract that many, at least in good weather.

But the real point is that our increasing population is likely to result in much bigger crowds. Right now there's little reason to cater for crowds of more than 50 000. But in the future, it's likely to be an increasingly common occurrence, and a bigger stadium will make economic sense if we make provision for it. But if we have to start from scratch then it will be a lot more difficult.
Your plan sounds like a ridiculous waste of taxpayers money when you consider the famous hill and scoreboard at Adelaide Oval, could easily one day be replaced by another large grandstand, which would increase the capacity by another 10,000 or so.

Have you considered it would cost money towards continuous maintenance of this new 'super' AAMI Stadium whilst being vacant for 11 months of the year? and the fact that home technology will continue to advance further putting more strain on stadiums to attract spectators.

Trams will hardly make any difference, nor is Adelaide growing that fast.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#26 Post by rev » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 am

I actually agree with Crawf for once.

If Adelaide Oval needs to be expanded, they can always build a new stand on the northern end. By the time that need arises, most of us will be retired or in nursing homes.
Perhaps they could fill in the gaps between the existing stands too.
Who knows, maybe Adelaide will be global financial center by then too.

50,000 capacity is fine.
If people aren't happy, well they can start attending matches on a regular basis and supporting our sporting teams to create a case for further expansion and upgrades.
And that's what it boils down to.
Where is the justification to cater for the "what ifs" ?
What if an alien mothership decides to land in the parklands, should be build them a welcome center?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by mattblack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Sure the Parklands Preservation Society would put a stop to that. NO BUILDING ANYTHING IN THE PARKLANDS, aliens or no aliens.

Aidan

#28 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm

crawf wrote:
Aidan wrote: But the real point is that our increasing population is likely to result in much bigger crowds. Right now there's little reason to cater for crowds of more than 50 000. But in the future, it's likely to be an increasingly common occurrence, and a bigger stadium will make economic sense if we make provision for it. But if we have to start from scratch then it will be a lot more difficult.
Your plan sounds like a ridiculous waste of taxpayers money when you consider the famous hill and scoreboard at Adelaide Oval, could easily one day be replaced by another large grandstand, which would increase the capacity by another 10,000 or so.
Support for permanent retention of the famous hill and scoreboard is almost universal. Nobody would get away with replacing it by a grandstand. And wouldn't the money come from the SANFL rather than taxpayers?
Have you considered it would cost money towards continuous maintenance of this new 'super' AAMI Stadium whilst being vacant for 11 months of the year? and the fact that home technology will continue to advance further putting more strain on stadiums to attract spectators.
I understood it was planned to continue using it for SANFL games. Have those plans been abandoned?

I'm not suggesting upgrading the stadium to super capacity while such capacity wouldn't be needed for 11 months of the year. I'm suggesting refraining from putting housing where the grandstands would go! Yes, there would be a cost to that, but a small proportion of the overall cost.
Trams will hardly make any difference, nor is Adelaide growing that fast.
Last time I went to AAMI Stadium, parking was terrible. Trams would alleviate the problem.

As for Adelaide's population, it's not growing that fast yet. We've only just started to see the effects of the mining boom.

rev wrote:What if an alien mothership decides to land in the parklands, should be build them a welcome center?
No, just redesignate the Wine Centre as a welcome center :wink:

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Paulns wrote:It's not fanciful??? How do you ever expect Adelaide to host anything other than the AFL and Cricket at one major stadium when these two organisations pretty much have a monopoly on this one ground for 6 months each of the year???
The same way every other city in Australia manages. Schedule events on different days. Football may use the stadium for 6 months but it will only be scheduling one AFL game a week. Leaving six days a week available for other events. The MCG and Etihad Stadium each host two events a week and sometimes more than two. Etihad Stadium regularly hosts three AFL games in one wekeend. Adelaide Oval will also be able to schedule multiple events each week.
Just look at the recent A-league grand final in Brisbane, over 50,000 people.
You mean the Grand Final held at Suncorp Stadium the same weekend the Brisbane Broncos played a round 1 NRL game there? You couldn't have picked a better example to support my argument. Thanks.
Adelaide's a grown up, growing city of over 1 million people and deserves 2 world standard stadiums, preferably 1 new one but I'll leave that for the other thread.
How often are Adelaide Oval and AAMI Stadium used at the same time?

As I said, the idea that we need two stadiums is fanciful.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

rev wrote:50,000 capacity is fine.
If people aren't happy, well they can start attending matches on a regular basis and supporting our sporting teams to create a case for further expansion and upgrades.
And that's what it boils down to.
Where is the justification to cater for the "what ifs" ?
Agreed. With live TV coverage now the norm and no upward trend in crowd figures in the last 20 years anyone that thinks we need anything bigger than 50k is in fantasy land.