Suggestions on boosting tourism in SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

#46 Post by jk1237 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am

crawf wrote: I just got back from Queensland, and I couldn't think of anything worse to live in the Gold Coast. Sure it's scenic and great for holidays, but in all it's just fake and full of tossers. Adelaide is a much better city, especially food-wise!.
never a more true word spoken, and its given me great delight knowing that the pop growth rate of the GC has recently fallen and Adelaide is growing more in real numbers now than the GC. So the bananas predictions that tacky town would overtake Adelaide in a decade or so, wont be happening :D

What a lot of people also dont realise when sucked into moving to the Gold Coast is that due to it being a tourist city, it has a huge unemployment rate and many people have to commute to Brisbane for work

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 am

I have three (separate) friends who all moved to the Gold Coast, attracted by the "fun". The longest any of them lasted was about 8 years. Nice place to visit, but it's a terrible place to live.

The "this city is boring" phrase can be heard all the way from London to Los Angeles. Doesn't matter where a person lives.

Anyway we are way off topic. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Aidan » Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Ben wrote:
pushbutton wrote: It's something I will definitely do sooner or later (move to the Gold Coast).

That explains a lot... Gold Coast is certianly cheap... oh and tacky and certianly has fair less culture then every capital city in Aus.
Does thhat really matter? It's close enough to Brisbane not to need so much culture of its own.

crawf wrote: I just got back from Queensland, and I couldn't think of anything worse to live in the Gold Coast. Sure it's scenic and great for holidays, but in all it's just fake and full of tossers. Adelaide is a much better city, especially food-wise!.
I thought the Gold Coast was full of bogans! Has there been a demgrahic shift?
Last edited by Aidan on Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by pushbutton » Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 pm

Ben wrote:
pushbutton wrote:A fair list of things to do there, but they're all very low-key or expensive (or both) compared to what other cities have.

I do go out of my way to try to find things to do here, and was aware of all the things on your list. To me they comprise pretty much nothing when compared to what other cities have to offer.

I don't expect you to agree. Just stating my opinion.

Do you have examples of what other low cost tourist attractions all ther other cities have that Adelaide doesn't?
That's very easy. I just paid $100 to renew my VIP pass for a whole year. That's a WHOLE YEAR of unlimited use of not one, but three huge complexes featuring amazing rides, live animals but in a much more interesting context than a standard zoo, waterslides of every type you can imagine, wave pool, lazy river, spectacular live shows, 4D cinemas, and plenty more.

And that's just 3 of the 50 or more amazing attractions the Gold Coast has.

For less than another $100 you could get a whole year unlimited access to even more at Dreamworld (not just rides but big zoo-like feature too) and Whitewater world.

I paid $65 for a whole year unlimited use of the mind-bendingly amazing experience that is Infinity.

Please tell me how you could get anything remotely comparable in Adelaide and I'll be more than happy to give it a go.

The nearest thing we have to Wet & Wild (to take just one of the theme parks in the Gold Coast) is probably Waterworld, where there are only 3 waterslides, all of which are very standard and boring compared to those at Wet & Wild. There's no other attractions there except a very small kids area and standard boring swimming pools. It's only open about 8 months of the year where Wet & Wild and Whitewater world are open all year. A season pass to this one single venue costs $300 and I think you have to pay extra each time you go to use the slides.

What can I say!

I could go on but I said I wouldn't in this thread. If you want to discuss it elsewhere let me know! Admin please feel free to move this to "the pub" as it's not really what this thread is about but I couldn't resist answering the questions.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Matt » Fri May 24, 2013 5:24 am

You want to uproot your life and move to the Gold Coast because you like the theme parks?

Waewick

Themeparks and other attractions Adelaide lacks

#51 Post by Waewick » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 am

Matt wrote:You want to uproot your life and move to the Gold Coast because you like the theme parks?
:lol: clearly......

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Ben » Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 am

I went to infinity for the first time in January when I was there and ... never again what a waste of money. It would've been cool in the 80's when it was groundbraking to have lights reflecting into mirrors but seriously?

Waewick

#53 Post by Waewick » Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 am

Ben wrote:I went to infinity for the first time in January when I was there and ... never again what a waste of money. It would've been cool in the 80's when it was groundbraking to have lights reflecting into mirrors but seriously?
Go to Segaworld in Tokyo...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 am

Waewick wrote:
Ben wrote:I went to infinity for the first time in January when I was there and ... never again what a waste of money. It would've been cool in the 80's when it was groundbraking to have lights reflecting into mirrors but seriously?
Go to Segaworld in Tokyo...
Go to Disney Sea in Tokyo.

Now we are seriously off topic so I moved these posts to the Pub.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#55 Post by rev » Fri May 24, 2013 11:39 pm

rhino wrote:
pushbutton wrote: There's nothing for tourists to do here.
Getting really sick of hearing this from you. Have you ever been to Perth? Hobart? Darwin? Found anything to do there (I have, and it has nothing to do with theme parks or rides). There is so much to do here, as has been exampled many times in these forums, and guess what? People do come and do stuff! Have a look in the paper, there is constantly stuff going on. I get the impression that if you are visiting another city, you will make an effort to find out what there is to do there before you go, but here in Adelaide you can't be bothered making that effort, you want it to be in your face so that you don't have to look.

We have the National Motor Museum here, the National Railway Museum, a maritime museum, world renown wine growing areas, beautiful white sand beaches, quaint seaside suburbs, beautiful hills villages, cafes and restaurants everywhere, a brilliant art gallery, an outdoor shopping mall with over 700 shops, little playhouses (theatres) dotted all over, a nightclubbing precinct, beautiful public gardens and a wonderful Botanic Garden, a zoo, an open range zoo, a gorgeous Japanese garden, an adventure playground, an interactive tram museum where you can ride the old trams, a self-guided mangrove walk on a boardwalk that floods when the tide comes in (it's brilliant!), slot-car racing, public swimming pools, surf beaches, jetties to fish off, Cleland Wildlife Park, walking trails in the parklands and up into the hills, and along the beaches, skydiving clubs, model aero clubs, model boat clubs, tracks where you can race your own petrol-driven remote control cars, elite level sports on every weekend March through September, a brewery where you can brew your own beer in tightly controlled conditions, lots of boutique breweries, sailing clubs, marinas where you can organise an afternoon out in the Gulf, scuba diving, hang gliding .... the list goes on...and on...and on

Nothing for tourists to do here! :roll:
The National Motor Museum, the National Railway Museum, Maritime Museum, are nothing special. Unless you are into those 'fringe' things. And not many people are.
Wine regions aren't all that interesting either. I've been to a few wineries, and it was mostly older people. Some young people from Adelaide do occasionally go on the tours, but that's because it's a piss up for them. How many people are going to travel to Adelaide, Australia to get pissed at wineries?

White sandy beaches? Quaint seaside suburbs? Hills villages? Not exclusive to Adelaide/SA.
Nor are cafes, restaurants, art galleries, outdoor shopping malls, theaters, night club precincts, public gardens, zoos, etc.

And adventure playground? St Kilda you mean? It's a shit hole that's hardly entertaining, unless your between the age of 4 and 12.

Slot car racing?
Model clubs?

None of this stuff is going to draw in tourists.

Of course, if Adelaide was a well known city, then yes, tourists would do these things if they hadn't already done them in their own cities.
But none of this stuff is a big draw card.

Adelaide needs something to put it on the map, to make an impact and a statement, to tell the world that we are here, come see us.
Expecting people to give a shit about things that their own cities have already, and expecting they will want to come see ours, isn't going to cut it.
What's so special about our zoo that 10000 zoos around the world don't have? Do you honestly think anyone cares about two pandas? What else will they do in Adelaide?

Why not turn our motor museum into something more then a boring museum with static displays of old vehicles? Dubai built Ferrari World, why don't we do something similar, but encompassing Australia's rich motoring heritage and motorsports history? Queensland has SeaWorld and a bunch of other places. They even have a thing called The Outback Spectactular..hang on, isn't SA the gateway to the Outback? Why don't we have something, a theme park even, that shows off the Outback, what it has to offer, the early settlers, etc..?????
Glenelg should have been a full blown entertainment precinct by now. But instead it's a heap of shit with a piece of shit ferris wheel that everyone creamed their pants over, a few clubs, and some hotels. Oh and I forgot, the remarkable tourist attraction that is the beach house. Just another scaled back development because of a few residents with big mouths :roll:

A few weeks ago they had speed boats near GIlman. Who knew about that? It's an annual thing actually I believe.
The Port River and surrounds being such a dilapidated shit hole who would want to go there? The event is barely even advertised as it is.

Empty land in the same area, a local consortium with cash in hand wanted to buy the land from the government and build a motorplex for drag racing that would have incorporated facilities for speed boat racing in the area. A development worth several tens of millions of dollars, that would have have spurned economic activity related to motorsports. Knocked back for God knows what reason.

Everything that you listed, those are small things which should complement the big draw card things. But we don't have the big draw cards in this city and state.

The belief, the image, that nothing ever happens in Adelaide is still very much alive and prevalent with our interstate cousins.

Something that everyone was raving about how bloody good it was, the light displays on the old historic buildings during the Fringe(last year?)...
Why in the hell was that not kept on permanently?
I suggested a light display on the roof of the Festival Theater..somebody said it cant be done, but it was done for the new SA logo launch. Now others are wetting them selves over the Vivid Sydney display, with it's 5th run just having started.

The nimby's have their various organized groups to oppose development in parklands and their neighborhoods and what not. Where are the pro development groups?
Sensational Adelaide, is mostly used by people who are pro-development and want to see our city and state grow and prosper, not be stuck in a time warp. This is the perfect place to cultivate and start a pro-development movement and implant it into the wider community, and help dispel the myths and lies and general bullshit and negativity spread by the nimby's.
Heck if you start to get some runs on the board, who knows some developers may even decide to send some cash your way to help finance fliers and the website even. If nothing is done, then nothing will change. And we will be sitting here in 50 years, on our quantum based computers still waiting for all copper to be replaced for a full FTTH setup, complaining about the same things.
If every other interest group, no matter how minor their interest can have their own organized groups for the benefit of their interest, why cant pro-development, pro-progress people have an organized group? Positive results would benefit the whole state and city.

Didn't the Perth guys over on SSC start something similar them selves that even got them positive media attention?

Btw, can we merge this thread and this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4731

Same topic of discussion really..

rev

Re: Suggestions on boosting tourism in SA?

#56 Post by rev » Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 pm

rubberman wrote:If you compare the Flinders Ranges and Wilpena Pound to Uluru, in terms of actual things to do and see and actual beauty, the SA attractions far far outrate those in the NT.

So why does Uluru get near enough to half a million tourists per year? Most of them from overseas.

I suspect that the answer is that NT Tourism is a dynamic focused entity that is well funded. It has convinced the world that a rather ordinary rock is something mystical and an international world wonder. Actually, most people on their way to Uluru make the mistake of thinking that a similar megalith Mt Connor is Ayers Rock. (Mt Conner is actually more regular shape than Ayers Rock/Uluru but who cares?). Frankly, it is no more mystical than Wilpena Pound. It is just sold better. On the back of this salesmanship though is an industry with about 800 employed at the township 20km away, a sealed airport capable of taking 737s and a great boost to the NT economy.

In addition, the management of the resort is very ruthless and thorough in its pursuit of profit. You arrive in the afternoon, and pay for a very expensive ordinary room. You pay for a very expensive evening trip to the rock (plus entrance), you pay for a very expensive meal thereafter, you pay for a very expensive morning trip to the rock (it looks different in the morning light folks), you then pay for a very expensive breakfast, you then get poured on the coach or aeroplane by 0900 in time for the cleaning staff to get your room tidy for the afternoon. Rinse, repeat 365 days per year. Wheee!!

With a very little promotion by SA tourist authorities, this could have been in SA. There is nothing at all to Uluru that could not have been sold in exactly the same way for Port Augusta and Wilpena Pound and the Flinders Ranges.

Maybe we could still do it. :hilarious:
Uluru is basically a national icon, that when foreigners see, they immediately think Australia. Similar to Sydney's Opera House.

99% of the world does not know what the Flinders Ranges and Wilpena Pound are, let alone where they are.

Is this the third thread we have running simultaneously discussing tourism in SA?
Mega merge anyone...

Nathan

Re: Themeparks and other attractions Adelaide lacks

#57 Post by Nathan » Sat May 25, 2013 11:35 am

Mostly "older people" or young ones on a piss up at wineries? You obviously haven't been to enough. I find you usually get a pretty even spread from 25 and up at most wineries. And going to wineries isn't just about drinking the wine - it's also about experiencing the scenery of the wine regions, and the wineries just form waypoints.

You complain that the things we do have, others around the world have, so why would they come here. But then go on to say we should do something to this city or that city. So which is it?

Places aren't the only things that can be draw cards. You're forgetting the Adelaide Festival & the Fringe (and Tour Down Under) - they are big draw cards, and all growing. That's why I think we need to seriously invest in the arts again. As discussed in other threads, the Festival Centre desperately needs a refurbish/upgrade, and the arts in general have been underfunded for years. The other cities have been trying to catch up with their own festivals and fringes, so I think we need to invest and properly establish our festivals as the premier ones in the country.

Thinking about international tourists, they're unlikely to come all the way to Australia and only do one city. Queensland (and Sydney to a lesser extent) already have the sunny beach market wrapped up. So why don't we concentrate on developing Adelaide and the South-East of Australia (Melbourne, Hobart) as the cultural corner of the country. (I never would have previously included Hobart, but MONA has done wonders).

rev

Re: Themeparks and other attractions Adelaide lacks

#58 Post by rev » Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Nathan wrote:Mostly "older people" or young ones on a piss up at wineries? You obviously haven't been to enough. I find you usually get a pretty even spread from 25 and up at most wineries. And going to wineries isn't just about drinking the wine - it's also about experiencing the scenery of the wine regions, and the wineries just form waypoints.
We aren't going to be flooded with 30 million tourists annually because of the things we already have.
You complain that the things we do have, others around the world have, so why would they come here. But then go on to say we should do something to this city or that city. So which is it?
What?

The National Motor Museum is boring as bat shit. As is the railway museum, maritime museum. These are niche things, fringe interests. These aren't going to draw in big tourist numbers.
Turn them into something more, theme parks with South Aussie/Aussie themes, and that will change.
I'm not saying lets build our own SeaWorld and DreamWorld...but there's no reason why we cant have our own theme parks.
London built it's giant ferris wheel..has that stopped others building their own giant ferris wheels?
We don't need to make carbon copies, but we can use ideas from other places and give them a South Australian twist to make them unique.

In another thread I believe I suggested extending the torrens through the eastern and southern parklands around the CBD.
Besides cost, tell me one good reason why Dubai can build artifical island chains off it's coast, but we shouldn't be able to artificially expand a river?
I'm not saying it's a great idea, or a good idea.
But its the sort of conservative thinking that says no we cant do that, that has seen Adelaide and SA stagnate and fall behind the rest of the state capitals.
Places aren't the only things that can be draw cards. You're forgetting the Adelaide Festival & the Fringe (and Tour Down Under) - they are big draw cards, and all growing. That's why I think we need to seriously invest in the arts again. As discussed in other threads, the Festival Centre desperately needs a refurbish/upgrade, and the arts in general have been underfunded for years. The other cities have been trying to catch up with their own festivals and fringes, so I think we need to invest and properly establish our festivals as the premier ones in the country.
Yes, for a whole lovely month or two, we have all this going on.
The rest of the year we do not.
Why start in February and finish in March? Why not start in November and finish in April?
Instead of having the same acts and performers for the whole time, have new ones come in every month or few weeks.

Imagine practically half the year where the city is as alive as it is during Fringe time.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by monotonehell » Sat May 25, 2013 2:33 pm

rev wrote:Is this the third thread we have running simultaneously discussing tourism in SA?
Mega merge anyone...
Thanks Rev, I couldn't work out where they all belonged until you posted this.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Wayno » Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Nathan, well said. You make several good points. The MONA centre is a true draw card that will evolve and grow over time. Well done Tassie! We can do similar, even better, with ease. Investing big time in the arts is what SA has historically been about, and can be again. We're good at running world class funky/gritty/eclectic events such as the Fringe & WOMAD that appeal to younger and older alike. Come for the festival, linger for everything else on offer.

Rev, a few of your ideas are ok-ish (my opinion) with the best being the light show along Nth Terrace (as it merges well with the arty side of our culture). Several folk in this forum have suggested similar, myself included :) But not easy to just whack in place as the projection system involves massive boxes that obtrusively sit in front of each building, and require lots of manual intervention. However it would work well if we're talking a few weeks each year.

And what's wrong with having a few months of major events each year? Do local people really need to be spoon fed entertainment 365/24/7?? How sad for anyone in that position. Sure it would be nice to have a constant year round run of tourists, but is this really attainable on the scale that would provide worthwhile ROI?

PS. I'm a regular at many wineries across all our local regions. No surprise there. Young folk, 20s to 30s, are well represented, and they're typically well dressed, well educated and aren't out to get pissed. Annoys me when random opinion is presented as fact.

Finally, bollocks to theme parks and nautical shopping malls.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.