New Retail Mix for Adelaide Central?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

New Retail Mix for Adelaide Central?

#1 Post by Verbatim9 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Was recently at Southern Cross Melbourne and took pic of the New Woolworths/BWS development above the Ticket window. Pretty impressive. Wonder if Adelaide Central could go down that track once electrification is well on the way and frequency of trains increased? Surely there would be enough foot traffic to support the idea!? http://www.flickr.com/groups/railsa/

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New Retail Mix for Adelaide Central?

#2 Post by Nort » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:55 pm

I can't really think of anywhere a retail development could fit in the current structure.

Nathan

#3 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Are we talking about Adelaide Railway Station? I guess you could gut Station Arcade and the pedestrian underpass, and concentrate on a better retail offering along there. I guess if they finally get around to upgrading Bank St, then they could reconsider the entrance to the underpass so that higher traffic (coming from Currie & Waymouth Streets) gets funnelled through there.

ChillyPhilly

#4 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 pm

It could probably only be small amounts of groceries and the like - few people would be willing to push twenty kilos-plus in a trolley uphill. At Southern Cross, it seems the new Woolies has a bit of a height advantage.

But still, I'd love to see something like this at Adelaide station. I'm sure the Riverbank project will also play a role in this, particularly that dead, ghastly Torrens end of the station interior.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by Verbatim9 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:44 pm

t could probably only be small amounts of groceries and the like - few people would be willing to push twenty kilos-plus in a trolley uphill. At Southern Cross, it seems the new Woolies has a bit of a height advantage.

But still, I'd love to see something like this at Adelaide station. I'm sure the Riverbank project will also play a role in this, particularly that dead, ghastly Torrens end of the station interior.
Retail at a busy railway hub is not about being a destination retail hub but more of a convenience retail hub for picking bits and pieces for the evening meal or grabbing a burger or another alternative. Its not about Mums and Dads pushing shopping trolleys around the stations precinct with their kids onboard. They did have a IGA at Southern Cross (inside) but proved unsuccessful maybe because of the pricing model and the inventory they stocked. Woolworths may prove more successful!?