Mega shopping mall for Target and Hungry Jack building?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Mega shopping mall for Target and Hungry Jack building?

#16 Post by AtD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

But there's already a mega shopping mall right there. In fact, it has more retail floorspace than any other shopping mall in the state.

Of course, I mean Rundle Mall.

I would guess the next big shopping arcade in the city will be the Renaissance Arcade site, under Hotel Richmond. That site is amazingly underutilised given its location and the growth of the two universities over the road.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm

AtD wrote:But there's already a mega shopping mall right there. In fact, it has more retail floorspace than any other shopping mall in the state.

I would guess the next big shopping arcade in the city will be the Renaissance Arcade site, under Hotel Richmond. That site is amazingly underutilised given its location and the growth of the two universities over the road.
Almost that entire block (Pulteney to Stevens Place) joining to the Mall to North Tce used to be flush with connected shopping arcades. Mansions Arcade / Renaissance Arcade / John Martin's Arcade / and the three levels of the Gallerie. Now it's all disconnected, empty or generally under-utilised. Amazing that this has happened.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Aidan » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 pm

monotonehell wrote:
AtD wrote:But there's already a mega shopping mall right there. In fact, it has more retail floorspace than any other shopping mall in the state.

Almost that entire block (Pulteney to Stevens Place) joining to the Mall to North Tce used to be flush with connected shopping arcades. Mansions Arcade / Renaissance Arcade / John Martin's Arcade / and the three levels of the Gallerie. Now it's all disconnected, empty or generally under-utilised. Amazing that this has happened.
Was it ever connected that far?

As I recall, the only advantage it had over the current situation was the connection between John Martins and the Gallerie basement and first floor (but not the ground floor). Though a fabric shop extended quite a way under Gawler Place, there was no connection to the arcade on the other side. Had there been, it would have been possible to get from the Myer Centre to Pultney Street without venturing outdoors - although that's arguable as a road intruded through the Renaissance Arcade.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Aidan wrote:Was it ever connected that far?

As I recall, the only advantage it had over the current situation was the connection between John Martins and the Gallerie basement and first floor (but not the ground floor). Though a fabric shop extended quite a way under Gawler Place, there was no connection to the arcade on the other side. Had there been, it would have been possible to get from the Myer Centre to Pultney Street without venturing outdoors - although that's arguable as a road intruded through the Renaissance Arcade.
Almost. From the Myer centre you could cut through the carpark (avoiding Stephens Place) to what was David Jones or use the arcade behind it. At that point you had to cross Gawler Place. Then into the Gallerie, down into the foodcourt or up to level one into John Martins. Then across into the John Martins Arcade, which connects to Renaissance Arcade. My point was there were parallel and perpendicular arcades all along that block which is now almost all impenetrable to pedestrian permeation.

Aidan

#20 Post by Aidan » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:Was it ever connected that far?

Almost. From the Myer centre you could cut through the carpark (avoiding Stephens Place) to what was David Jones or use the arcade behind it. At that point you had to cross Gawler Place. Then into the Gallerie, down into the foodcourt or up to level one into John Martins. Then across into the John Martins Arcade, which connects to Renaissance Arcade. My point was there were parallel and perpendicular arcades all along that block which is now almost all impenetrable to pedestrian permeation.
You could certainly get from the Myer Centre to the old David Jones without venturing into the carpark. Wasn't there a route through from David Jones to the Rundle Arcade?

It wasn't John Martins Arcade, it was John Martins Plaza - and like almost every place in Adelaide with Plaza in the name it had an artificial waterfall (still there, but now dry). But the strange thing was the road that ventured indoors to cross the Renaissance Arcade. Do you know when they got rid of that?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by monotonehell » Sat May 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Aidan wrote:...But the strange thing was the road that ventured indoors to cross the Renaissance Arcade. Do you know when they got rid of that?
Are you thinking of the small branch that went from the main Renaissance Arcade toward Rundle Mall, it had a butchers but was recently blocked off and a shop was placed on the Rundle Mall frontage. The tiny service street passed through at one point with a pedestrian shelter which you can still see here:
http://goo.gl/maps/0fF2D

Aidan

#22 Post by Aidan » Sun May 19, 2013 1:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:...But the strange thing was the road that ventured indoors to cross the Renaissance Arcade. Do you know when they got rid of that?
Are you thinking of the small branch that went from the main Renaissance Arcade toward Rundle Mall, it had a butchers but was recently blocked off and a shop was placed on the Rundle Mall frontage. The tiny service street passed through at one point with a pedestrian shelter which you can still see here:
http://goo.gl/maps/0fF2D
I think it must be. Thats not how I remember it, and I don't remember any butchers there at all, but I haven't seen it since 1999 so my memory is probably at fault.