Tram Signal Priority

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Tram Signal Priority

#1 Post by tanner1987 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:03 pm

While there seems to be plenty of talk about where to extend the tram network or the best route for a future Airport Tramline, I haven't heard anything about Tram Signal Priority.

If trams didn't have to wait at traffic lights(at all!) it would obviously make the tram line much quicker through the CBD.

I'm sure the benefits are obvious to all here, but i'll list some just in case:
*Faster travel time(for tram passengers),
*More attractive to drivers,
*More frequent services possible with the same number of trams(when a given trip takes less time), OR
*Less trams(cheaper $$) needed to do the same number of trips(now down quicker).

The only downside I can see it the lights giving less priority to vehicles, but frankly I don't care. (Anyone who thinks a car carrying one person needs consideration over a tram carrying 50+ people needs a re-think).

A while ago I timed the amount of time waiting at red lights on the tram from Sth Tce to West Tce, and while I forget the exact amount, it was quite substantial from memory(in the ballpark of 50%)

Thoughts anyone?

Any idea how much this would cost?? I wouldhave thought relatively cheap given its existing technology.

Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Tram Signal Priority

#2 Post by Vee » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:07 am

tanner1987 wrote:While there seems to be plenty of talk about where to extend the tram network or the best route for a future Airport Tramline, I haven't heard anything about Tram Signal Priority.

If trams didn't have to wait at traffic lights(at all!) it would obviously make the tram line much quicker through.
What about trams held up by vehicles turning right in the southern section of King William St? This adds to time wasted for a quite a significant section of the journey within the city.

Vehicles share a lane with trams in this section and are able to turn right, thus blocking the tram. The delays can add up as the tram often has to wait for the next sequence of lights to continue. Why are right hand turns not banned in this section?

I support the general principle of priority for public transport at traffic signals where practicable. A tram priority signal sounds good but the traffic experts need to weigh up how/if this would work in the city eg with pedestrian-only sequences and build up of buses, which don't have priority.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am

Vee wrote:
tanner1987 wrote:While there seems to be plenty of talk about where to extend the tram network or the best route for a future Airport Tramline, I haven't heard anything about Tram Signal Priority.

If trams didn't have to wait at traffic lights(at all!) it would obviously make the tram line much quicker through.
What about trams held up by vehicles turning right in the southern section of King William St? This adds to time wasted for a quite a significant section of the journey within the city.

Vehicles share a lane with trams in this section and are able to turn right, thus blocking the tram. The delays can add up as the tram often has to wait for the next sequence of lights to continue. Why are right hand turns not banned in this section?
Because banning right turns would make those streets much more difficult to access. The real question should be why don't we use hook turns instead?
I support the general principle of priority for public transport at traffic signals where practicable. A tram priority signal sounds good but the traffic experts need to weigh up how/if this would work in the city eg with pedestrian-only sequences and build up of buses, which don't have priority.
As the signals aren't currently optimized for buses either, I doubt it would have much effect.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by tanner1987 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 pm

I think the issue of right-turning cars can easily be solved as follows: Say an approaching tram is detected...as well as a green light for the tram, make a green right-turning arrow for cars also(Yes you'd be holding up cars travelling in the opposite direction).

I'm pretty sure some intersections in Melbourne already do this, I remember reading about it a while ago.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by mattwinter » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 am

Hook turns are the obvious solution here.

The only issue would be whether Adelaide drivers can handle them, but they aren't that hard once you're used to them. If we're going to expand our tram network as part of the new transport plan, drivers might as well start getting used to them.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by zippySA » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:47 pm

And one of the points of a tram network is that life is not all about the cars.

Some adjustments, changes to driving patterns is inevitable if trams enter the network - people will get over it and adjust to whichever solution they adopt - but please, adopt a solution and don't try and make a win-win of no changes for cars - that will bugger it all up!

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 pm

mattwinter wrote:Hook turns are the obvious solution here.

The only issue would be whether Adelaide drivers can handle them, but they aren't that hard once you're used to them. If we're going to expand our tram network as part of the new transport plan, drivers might as well start getting used to them.
Yikes, they can't handle roundabouts or intersections without lights (ever tried to turn right down the parade. ...you do the legal thing and people go mental)

I think if anything the entry of the team from the south rd stop to king william road needs to be changed.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by fkj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 am

tanner1987 wrote:I think the issue of right-turning cars can easily be solved as follows: Say an approaching tram is detected...as well as a green light for the tram, make a green right-turning arrow for cars also(Yes you'd be holding up cars travelling in the opposite direction).

I'm pretty sure some intersections in Melbourne already do this, I remember reading about it a while ago.
Apologies for bumping an old thread but jesus how has this not been done yet! Such a good idea :applause: