A Clean River Torrens (Well the Lake near Adelaide Oval)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

A Clean River Torrens (Well the Lake near Adelaide Oval)

#1 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 am

I realise this is a secondary item for most, but I think with the focus now moving back to the city I would love to the Torrens Lake water quality improved to the point people "could" consider swimming in it.

It would also be great to see more native fish and other wildlife reintroduced to broader the diversity of wildlife in the area.

I know there are ongoing studies http://www.amlrnrm.sa.gov.au/Water/Surf ... Trial.aspx

but I would like to see the State Government throw some serious (for this kind of project) at cleaning the whole system up.
Last edited by Waewick on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aidan

Re: A Clean Lake Torrens

#2 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Waewick wrote:I realise this is a secondary item for most, but I think with the focus now moving back to the city I would love to the Torrens Lake water quality improved to the point people "could" consider swimming in it.
I think we all would. But with all the urban stornwater runoff going into it, that's a very difficult task. Have you any suggestions as to how to achieve it?

BTW this threat is mistitled. The Torrens Lake has nothing to do with Lake Torrens. The water quality of Lake Torrens (on the rare occasions when there's water in it) is already good enough to swim in, though you may have to wade a long way to find part that's deep enough to swim in.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

Re: A Clean Lake Torrens

#3 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes, who would have thought a Torrens Lake....that is Lake Torrens :oops:

I would actually like to see the councils/State Government progressively minimise the amount of dirty water entering the system

unfortunately, I have no idea how this could be achieved, I wouldn't even know where to start, hence my desire to get someone who does have a look at it

off the top of my head, Detention basins to capture run off rather then straight into the river system, ensuring there is no run off from Industry?

It is a complex topic, but it is one I think we need to look at and one that would also have an immediate impact to the surrounds.

P.S I wouldn't swim in it :hilarious:

Ho Really

Re: A Clean River Torrens (Well the Lake near Adelaide Oval)

#4 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Honestly a lot of this water should be ending up straight into the ground, into the aquifer, and not washing down roads getting polutted then into creeks and the River Torrens. We need a better (cleaner) drainage system, but not sure we'll ever see one.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 pm

A solution could be to construct an (very large) underground channel between St. Peters, where there's a park /island lake kind of formation there to downstream of the Torrens Weir where all the 'natural' river water would then flow through - the particular advantage being that the elevation at St. Peter's, I estimate would be at least 10-20m higher than downstream of the Torrens weir. The city part of the river, or the 'lake' itself, between Torrens Weir and Hackney Road could then be specially treated / filtered and manipulated in a more artificial and man-made manner so that swimming and other recreational activities are permitted in the lake.
Last edited by [Shuz] on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#6 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:09 am

That could work and there is a precedent (the Serpentine in London) but there would be some big technical obstacles to overcome, such as the stormwater drains that flow directly into the Torrens lake.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 am

Aidan wrote:That could work and there is a precedent (the Serpentine in London) but there would be some big technical obstacles to overcome, such as the stormwater drains that flow directly into the Torrens lake.
I assume the lack of doing anything is purely the cost of doing something.

I'd love to see say a 10 year plan where they identify the "low hanging fruit" and starting doing things progressively...to a plan.

Waewick

#8 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:11 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/br ... 6705712221

:shock:

Coalition offers SA river clean-up

August 28, 2013 12:43PM

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print

THE coalition has pledged $1 million to improve water quality in Adelaide's River Torrens if it wins the September 7 election.

Opposition frontbencher Christopher Pyne says the river is under stress from urban population growth, pollution and the loss of native species.

"The River Torrens is an iconic feature of Adelaide as well as a key habitat for a range of native plants and animals," Mr Pyne said in a statement on Wednesday.

The funds will be put toward nutrient reduction and bank stabilisation as well as assisting with weed eradication and revegetation along the river.

Liberal senator Simon Birmingham said he understood the importance of the Torrens to Adelaide.

"We must constantly work on maintaining the river as it is subject to the challenges of flowing through a city," he said.

[Shuz]

#9 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 pm

The Coalition has an environmental policy? :O
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#10 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The Coalition has an environmental policy? :O
bizarre!

do they read these boards....or should I be shutting down my browser :sly:

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-28/f ... section=sa
"It's not particularly well researched or detailed. We've been working on this issue for some time. They didn't approach us and essentially whilst we're not going to turn away contributions this is nowhere near enough to make a real impact," he said.

"The South Australian Government already spends double that amount each year, they have done for the last three years on water quality.

"Our research shows it's going to cost something like $15-30 million to clean up the Torrens to the level we'd like to see."

Waewick

#12 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 am

Waewick wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-28/f ... section=sa
"It's not particularly well researched or detailed. We've been working on this issue for some time. They didn't approach us and essentially whilst we're not going to turn away contributions this is nowhere near enough to make a real impact," he said.

"The South Australian Government already spends double that amount each year, they have done for the last three years on water quality.

"Our research shows it's going to cost something like $15-30 million to clean up the Torrens to the level we'd like to see."
Might have to ask Pyne about this cash. ...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Feds throw $1m into the Torrens, figuratvely speaking...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/g ... ns/5967474
The Federal Government has launched a $1 million program to re-vegetate and improve water quality in Adelaide's River Torrens.

The section of the river that flows through the city and was turned into a lake at its centre is notorious for dumped rubbish and silt build-up.

A new Landcare program will work to improve its overall health, both in the city and further upstream.

Parliamentary Secretary for the Environment and Liberal senator for South Australia, Simon Birmingham, said the Government would work with eight local governments over two years to clean up the river.

"Recognising that the Torrens, or course, runs right through metropolitan Adelaide and up into the hills, we will be seeing a range of on-ground activities done that are complementing the many good works already underway," he said.

He said the River Torrens Recovery Program would focus on revegetation, bank reinforcement and improving the overall health of the water.

During the drought, one of our councillors walked the whole length of the dry bed, found countless car tyres, a safe that had been thrown in there, even a bag of watches, and a washing machine.

The work would also try to reduce the frequency and severity of algal blooms and was part of a nation-wide strategy aimed at reviving Australia's coastal rivers.

City of West Torrens Mayor John Trainer said the Torrens could "be filthy" under the water's surface, despite its appearance along Linear Park in metropolitan Adelaide.

"Deep down, where there's a lot of silt, material and rubbish that's been thrown in, it's not quite so good," he said.

"During the drought, one of our councillors walked the whole length of the dry bed, found countless car tyres, a safe that had been thrown in there, even a bag of watches, and a washing machine."

Adelaide City Council earlier this year dredged a build-up caused by rubbish and silt from a part of the river near the University of Adelaide footbridge.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#14 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

"Recognising that the Torrens, or course, runs right through metropolitan Adelaide and up into the hills"
Technically, the Torrens runs down from the hills, through metropolitan Adelaide, and out to the ocean. 8)

Waewick

#15 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:08 am

Id like to see the state do more with the river somehow get it back to a condition to have animals living in it again.